Seeds Runs - sharing tips for success

Perfect!!! Exactly what I was looking for! :ok_hand:
There are lots of ā€œguidesā€ online, but I trust experience over some random asshole writing an online article.
Many thanks!! Gonna hold off until they mature a bit more.

4 Likes

yeah even at 4 days ago, id be waiting at least another week from now

4 Likes

Im learning lots from this thread already! Hopefully ill have something to contribute at some point but for now ill just be a lurker hehehehehe

4 Likes

Well Iā€™ve done it a couple different ways.

If you have a long flowering plant, like 12+ weeks, you usually donā€™t have much to worry about. Thereā€™s a large window where you can pollinate and theyā€™ll still mature.

If you have a very short flowering plant, like 7 weeks, then youā€™re gonna want to pollinate as soon as you see it dropā€¦ or possibly go into a longer light cycle and then back to 12/12.

Iā€™ve noticed that seeds donā€™t like to mature after the plant is ready for harvest. You might be able to get them a little more mature by going an extra week, but Iā€™m not sure you really get too many more brown seeds that way.

If you are making a hybrid of two strains, start the male strain a week or two earlier in flower if itā€™s longer flowering than the female. Otherwise, you can start them at the same time.

Often times, I keep pollen in a dry box. Itā€™s just a plastic tub with a gasket seal. You can find them at Target or probably online. Put a closet dehumidifier in it, and put it in a cool, dark place. You can keep pollen good for at least 2 grows this way, as long as you keep the humidity low (<20%). Itā€™s a $30 investment that will make you life much easier.

16 Likes

So what im taking from that is autos want to be hit with pollen as soon as they show hairs?

1 Like

Hit em w pollen at like wk 4 for most seeds
Even later if its a longer flowering strain

3 Likes

@tappy I donā€™t usually time my pollinations by days from flower. I watch for the phases. After the early flower phase, the plant starts to fill in with more flowers over 3-4 weeks. I wait until the early flowers are still viable, white pistils but not discolored at all or wilting, but most of the flowers are filled in, so usually about 5-6 weeks after flower formation started. Then I hit it with as much pollen as I have available.
I did this in my SSDD seed run and I ended up with about 10,000 seeds from 6 female plants.
Trust your instincts!!

16 Likes

Not so fast there, bucko!

On the Left, pregnant Ms Green (1c) kept in veg light for most of the month. Energy IS going to reveg and the plant is much greener and darker. Seed development, OTOH, has been reduced. A low branch yeilded 5-10 seeds, many green attempts.
On the Right, Ms Blue (2c). Her leaf tips are brown and fuzzing up. Good seed production. Still thinking ~100.

5 Likes

In my experience pregnant plants reveg with the same success rate as regular plants that have flowered 100%. For example, 3 of 9 female ghash plants from my last seed run have not only re-vegged but are being seeded a second time in the Apollo seed run. Example #2, my original Nigerian Sunshine mother (from seed) was re-vegged and re-seeded 3X before I re-vegged her a final time and just took her for flower.

With that said, I have a very good friend in Mendocino who swears that re-vegging a plant genetically alters it forever. He is a ridiculously smart guy so I find it hard to tell him how stupid that sounds and just nod and change the conversation.

This is something that I am unaware of but when I do seed runs Iā€™m usually not looking for herms because I have more of a ā€œset it and forget itā€ attitude. I have not really had a plant herm on me in years, indoors or out.

7 Likes