Sexing Conundrum : Solved

No worries. I had 1 too many brownies last night so I’m a bit slow today…

4 Likes

Probably an old wives tale, @cogitech. I re-pot in Flowering occasionally and it doesn’t seem to hurt. They usually don’t skip a beat. I do this when I know the plant will turn into a giant, I’ll leave it in a small pot for about 3 weeks. They usually immediately hit a growth spurt for a few days and then stop.

Also, I don’t put them into larger posts until they have 5 nodes. I’ve waited longer some times. It seems that they show within a week of up sizing their pot.

That’s another thing I’ve found in the past. If I have no insect problems, my plants always look awesome after one day in Flowering. If I have a plant that is not looking as good as it should, I put into Flowering early and leave it. I think the plants are getting a photogasm from the 12/12 under the Flowering lamp. :wink:

I like that tip, @ReikoX. :smile: I’m putting it in to my Grow Journal database so I don’t forget it.

I must be misinterpreting your statement. I find that, on average, the male seedlings present their sex 1st.

3 Likes

BALLS.

Yes, some of them are starting to show!

Will give them another day or two and then do a full assessment.

1 Like

Cool!! Well, except for the BALLS part :slight_smile:

So, it looks like it took 7 days from the day you started the 12/12. My baby just finished its second day of 12/12, so I have maybe 5 more days…

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much.

Some strains are showing sooner than others. For example, I am 100% sure both my Pineapple Expresses are males, not sure at all about my two Northernberries yet. The rest I am fairly sure about, but not 100% yet.

1 Like

Dispatched the two Pex males this morning. There was absolutely no doubt.

I am not 100% sure on the rest of them yet, but it appears that I might only have one more male in the whole group.

Nice to have lots of females to choose from, but it actually looks like all 4 of my CBDream x Critical Kush are going to be females - which is sad because I wanted at least one male so I could back-cross him to his aunt (the female CBDream).

1 Like

It worked! :+1::seedling:

Not that I was worried it wouldn’t…

I’ll be doing this with my Cherry Tart tonight and I’ll report back in a week or so.

2 Likes

Yes, it did work! Some are slower to show than others, but I suspect they’ll be along in another day or so.

Thanks brother!

2 Likes

Confirmed:

-Both Pex, males, tossed.

• 3 CBDream x Critical Kush, females, will keep the best one.

• 2 Cali-O x Durban, females, will keep the best one.

• 1 CBDream, female (fem seed, no surprise), will keep.

Pretty sure:

• 1 CBDream x Critical Kush, male, will probably keep to breed with CBDream female.

• 2 Northernberry, females, will keep the best one.

Interesting observation: the CBDream x CK females are larger than the one that appears to be a male.

3 Likes

This has been an interesting, educational, fun experiment and I have to thank @ReikoX once again for this awesome tip. It’ll stay in my toolbox forever.

They all got a good feed and I’ll be culling the unlucky ones and transplanting the lucky ones soon.

4 Likes

I am giving the Cherry Tart their first 12 hours of darkness today. They are looking happy and healthy going in!

4 Likes

Its been a week since I started the two days of 12/12, and nothing is showing yet. I got excited this morning thinking I saw some female signs. These looked very sexy from a distance, but when I got the scope out, it was a bust.

Im going to give it another day or maybe two, then this experimental victim, er ah, baby, goes in the trash, so I can start a new plant and grow for real.

1 Like

Isn’t that a female flower starting in the second shot? (behind the stipule)

1 Like

You think it might be? I thought so at first, but then I decided it was just an extra hairy one of those other long skinny ‘things’.

I was expecting to see more of a pod looking thing with the long fuzzy female bits sticking out.

Im about to toss it, but I will look again.

1 Like

Which part are you taking about? Black arrow, red circle or blue arrow?

1 Like

blue arrow=cal yx
red circle = pistils

female woo!!

2 Likes

Im not 100% sure on that. I thought the red circle ‘pistle’ was just an extra long hair on the stem, but maybe not.

I just too a whole bunch of pics. Its hard to get through the bushiness to get clear shots of the stem junctions. I dont see any thing that looks like a pistil in these, but I could have missed it easily. On the other hand, a couple of these caylix(?) look like they could be hiding a pistle inside - maybe?

I agree with @toastyjakes. Blue arrow = calyx.

If it was a male, it would have fat, spade-shaped “balls” in those places, often on a very short stem.

Don’t dump her!

1 Like

In that case, the trick worked! Cool :slight_smile:
As far as keeping her, sorry. She has bad root rot or brown algae or some combination that is killing the roots. Nothing I have done has worked to stop it. Plus, I have no clue what strain it is. But most important, I need her out of the system so I can sterilize it. I have no place to keep her while thats going on. She has well developed aero roots though.

2 Likes

Three days later and two males have shown. I’ll snap some pictures tonight.

2 Likes