Simple DIY light-proof passive intake

All you need is flex duct in whatever diameter you like, and a can of black spray paint. The good stuff sticks better to flex duct, but the generic stuff works fine too.

Leave the flex duct folded up, and stretch out about a foot of one end. Spray the inside from the end opposite from the one you stretched so you can reach the part you stretched out with the spray. It doesn’t take much, just try to get a good cover. Stretch out another foot. Spray the inside again. Do this the whole length. when you’re done, fold it back down and do the same thing from the opposite end so the spray paint covers as much as possible from every angle. If you want to spray the outside you can, but it wouldn’t affect any light proofing either way.

Now just stick that duct in one of your tent ports, then form a bend so you’re totally sure it won’t leak light. I like to zip-tie a U-bend just to be sure.

All set!! No need for crazy light traps, etc. Y’all get crazy with this stuff sometimes. I’ve been using this type of intake setup for over 15 years and never had an issue with it. No need to overthink this. It’s just gardening. Keep it simple everyone :blush:

Much love :green_heart:

12 Likes

Passive and stops light and smell wafting out of the tent, when the fan switches on it lifts out the way.

I naturally gravitate to easiest way :joy:

5 Likes

If it flips open when the fan comes on how does that stop light? Some other sort of light trap contraption we can’t see in there?

I didn’t say it flips open, I said it lifts out of the way.

It doesn’t lift high enough for sufficient light to get out and light anything.

1 Like

Gotcha. Was only asking :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You absolutely need to paint it, because the inside is reflective. You can redirect light with reflection and you can stop it completely with black surfaces.

Here’s pics for proof

5 Likes

@lightyear hey man, how has this been holding up? Any paint flaking off the ducting?

Nah, been using it like this for years and it’s never been a problem for me

as a matter of preference, matte black does seem to cover better with less coats

1 Like

Good enough for me. Thanks dude :+1:

1 Like

They do sell ducting with a black interior. It’s more expensive than regular silver ducting but it’s worth it IMO.

I got it at a local hydro shop. Can’t remember the brand name off hand, but I can check to see if they still have it next time I go and grab the brand name.

1 Like

Yup, this is just a DIY version. Lots of companies sell it on Amazon. But like you said, they charge more. You can get the silver stuff and a cheapo can of spray pain for around half the price of black duct.

You’re not wrong. It works great and there’s no reason not to use it. I just prefer DIY (DIM??🤷) and saving a few bucks. Just personal preference.

2 Likes