Smallest rooted cuttings

This is the smallest one I have a pic of

4 Likes

Love this thread! So awesome I too have learned a cup of water will do it, easily. But so will homemade cloners, store bought, almost anything with the correct conditions given. I have all 4 phenos I’ve chosen of my Pink God in cups in my window, change the water every couple days and in 12 days most have rooted significantly, all but one pheno which is giving cause for concern, but we’ll see the real story when their 10 weeks are up.

2 Likes

Well it took a while but here is one just under an inch and the root has started.

Straight tap water, nothing else.

13 Likes

Nice one, plant it and keep it alive

3 Likes

Update on your rooted cutting, are the roots longer?

They did and then I tossed them. Lots of clones to choose from , I didn’t need them.

Forgive the really basic questions…

Can I take a clone from an auto that’s in full flower?

I’d like to keep my neighbor’s plant going, and I’ll be putting together my grow room upstairs soon.

Lob

Just read this over on rollitup:
"When cuttings taken from lower branches late in flower those
branches are more woody and mature that came from a established
root system so it has been told many times that these cuttings grow
more vigorous and can grow bigger then the donor mom.
100% fact. "

This person, and several others over there, claim they’ve done it and it works really well, if you have the time.

Lob

That would pertain more to photoperiod plants though.

Autoflowers are on a biological clock, so to speak. From the day they germ, they will be finished in XX days. If that date happens to be october 15, then any cuttings taken should also finish around october 15. On a photoperiod plan you would go back into veg. Autos have an internal timeline

3 Likes

Ok…got it.
Thanks for explaining…and Dammit! :slight_smile:

So does that mean you can’t really clone autos?

Lob

1 Like

well, you could clone them, but there’s not much point. The energy the clone will expend to grow roots and re-establish itself, only to be finished on the same date as mom, might have been better spent just growing out the nugs on that branch. Since the ruderallis trait is bred into them, there’s no way to reverse a flowering auto.

Autos are what made me finally want to make seeds, mainly because cloning them is pointless compared to vegging out a photo mom forever and constantly taking cuttings whenever you need more plants…

1 Like

Makes sense. Guess I need to buy some auto seeds now, to add to the “library” I started with Swe-Can’s auction.

Lob

In auto seeds it seems genetics are even more important than in photos to get a really good yielding, good effect result. Get some chuckers who dont know what theyre doing and might even get a generation that doesnt reliably auto flower.

Mephisto is pretty much the odds on favorite at the moment with the most worked, consistent autos ive seen. Pricey though.

Nothing wrong with getting whatever auto beans to try autos but dont think its representative of what autos can do if you dont get awesome results first time out. But even with random breeder x autos, you might!

Some here are doing f2s or repros and crosses of good auto genetics like @GlassJoeGrows who knows way more about it than me.

1 Like

Thanks for the plug; I will say that if you’re looking for someone other than Mephisto, Daz (Night owl seeds) split from them and is generally well regarded, and I’ve heard good things about Gnome Automatics (formerly mandalorian genetics) who I would say are known for some really dark colored funky looking strains people seem to like, like the anvil and black strap. Daz is still very expensive though.

2 Likes

I took two trimmings from a defoliation and tried to get them to take root.

Didn’t want to post until they survived, but they have an are now over 2 feet tall. (they were about 2.5" when cut - see to the right of the mothers)

2 Likes

Very interesting! What strain if I might ask

1 Like

Gorilla Lemon Fire and Birthday Cake

1 Like

With autos, especially the more modern types, it is more size of container and light hours rather than a number of days that will determine how long they go.

If you take a clone when the auto is still in a mostly vegetative part of its light cycle, it will spend some time vegging until environmental conditions tell it it’s time to hurry up and finish. With photoperiod plants the number of hours of light are the main environmental factor that makes this happen. With autos, roots hitting the edge of the container or any number of environmental stressors can bring on the beginning of flowering.

I have personally successfully taken clones off autos when they were very early in flower. They did not finish the same time as the mother plant(about 2-3weeks later) and did not grow very much(I also had them in very small pots).

The growth I saw was pretty consistent with what I would expect from that stage of life. First 1-1.5 weeks they were focusing on shooting out some roots, following that they threw out a few leaves and hurried right back into flower production. The specific cultivar for this was Mephisto Double Grape x Skywalker.

Really the only thing I could see cloning autos at that stage to be beneficial for would be for a small amount of seed production, if you wanted to keep the main plant unseeded.

Taken a little earlier, I think you could find more uses. Depending on the cultivar, container sizes, and environmental stressors, I think you could do some cool things especially regarding selections and reversals for seed production.

1 Like

I don’t really care much for autos nor do I grow them, so I’m not really sure…I’m old school …

How was your DG x Skywalker F1? I’m currently germinating Skywalker and Strawberry Nuggets seeds to run for pollen and I have Double Grape seeds on the way

1 Like