Software tools for breeding

I’m thinking about creating a software tool to use for breeding.
The basic functionality would include:
Register specimens - create short unique name for labels. Add friendly name/alias.
Input known strain/lineage for new specimens.
Show strains for specimens that are crosses, like (Bubble Gum * Skunk #1)*NL#5
Name strains you “create” yourself (use your own judgement on whether something can really be called a strain…)
Add notes, pictures etc. to specimens.
Parentage for specimens - including links to a set of possible fathers if more than one male has been used for pollination.
Register grows and pollination events.
Register seedlots - also create short unique name for labeling bags of seed.
Rating system for specimens - rating for several parameters (potency, vigor, aroma etc)
Keeping track of traits, “phenotypes” etc.
Statistics function for discovering genetic linkage.
What would other useful functions be?

10 Likes

There are some projects out there worth noting.

Not sure everyone loves this one, but it is getting big.

4 Likes

An incremential database than can be shared.

4 Likes

Everything listed so far sounds amazing in a tool, including the ability to share the dataset for others to view. If the dataset could be merged with other’s datasets to create a universal set that’d be cool too.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea with sharing. Identifiers would have to be GUID sized then which makes things a bit cumbersome if you don’t have a label printer.

I’ve used barcodes back in the days, with a cheap “shop scanner” plugged in my laptop. Very effiscient but i quickly stopped this strategy because i was unable to remember the specimens in my notations years later. On unconscious level, i guess my brain was relying entirely on the laptop this way then increased drastically my further number of access for stupid things (to remember which female of the batch was cloning the faster etc …).

Sound maybe stupid but just the fact to give manually a name to a seedling help me to print it in my memory for good if not unselected.

6 Likes

Agreed - “friendly names” or aliases is definitely a requirement.
Project “BroodBook” is now born. I’ll likely Open Source it. Anyway I can’t market it in my own name if I want to keep growing, and I think it’s better for illegal growers like myself to be able to make sure that no evil code is buried in the program.

8 Likes

This is cool stuff i rilly have a hard time keeping track. So after a bit I just made up cards from vista print 500 for like 9 or 10 bucks, with date, care providers name, licence# , strain name and a place for notes. But haveing it all on computer with a barcode wood rilly cool.

4 Likes

@Sixteencountyseeds Note to self: Support for label printers:)

So far I’m just working on the data model. The different plant “entities” have been defined:
Cultivar - AKA strain
Specimen - A single plant along with all of it’s clones
Seedlot - a batch of seeds

The philosophy is that you’re able to register as little or as much information as you want / have available. Therefore all plant entities can be children, and all plant entities can be parents.
Also more than one plant entity can be father as well as mother.
Examples:
If you know the exact father and mother specimens of another specimen then you register exactly that.
If you do an open pollination with several male and female specimens then the best you can do is create individual seedlots for the mothers. They will each have a single mother and several fathers. If you just mix all of the seeds then you seedlot will have several mothers and several fathers.
An open pollination with plants grown from a seedlot without registering the exact specimens will simply have that seedlot as both mother and father of the new seedlot. If you do several selections from that open pollination then you can register more than one seedlot and describe selection criteria in notes.
If you buy some seeds of a cross then the cultivars used for the cross will be father and mother.
If you don’t know which side is father and mother you can also register parentage as “unknown” parent side.

Etc. Etc. - it should be possible to combine as you like.

3 Likes