Soil Recipe for Mid-Flower Transplant

So first let me explain… no, that would take too long. First let me sum up. I plan to transplant into some 5 gallon pots. The plants right now are a bit under a week into flower in 3gal pots in Better Home and Garden’s Organic Potting Mix. So looking for recommendations for a soil recipe that’s organic and relatively low cost. Roughly 8 gallons (will backfill any leftover soil from the smaller pots) under a $40 budget?

3 Likes

I think you’re past the point of no return. You should just ride it out. I think the last opportunity to really transplant is right before flip. But I guess it depends on how much the roots are disturbed. Other folks will know for sure.

5 Likes

Yeah… I was thinking on that too, so I will also ask, failing transplant, is there an amendment I can give under the same budget?

Like, you want to scratch some amendments into the top of your already planted pots?

You should look into some of the organic teas people are making. I think @ReikoX dabbles in that, but I may be mistaken.

3 Likes

Yep. It’s still pretty loose and easy to move, they got a transplant right before flip.

1 Like

Not sure where you are or if it’s available near you, but I’ve had awesome luck with Gaia Green. It’s organic and comes in 4-4-4 and bloom 2-8-4. Just scratch it into the soil and water it in.

2 Likes

Illinois. But I’ll have to see what it would cost to ship it out here. One listing I saw was $35 on $35 of fertilizer lol.

It depends on your goals. I often do my final transplant a few weeks into flower so they’ve shown sex for sure so I don’t waste time and extra dirt on males.

If you’re trying to do a super soil that’s water only, well, I wouldn’t try to figure it out on the fly like you’re doing. I’ve never done it though.

I’m sure you could find a nice more traditional organic fertilizer for that budget. Or a top dress if you’re married to the idea.

All the best.

1 Like

Nope, not at all married to anything except organic. I am primarily just worried about them not getting enough nutrients later in bloom. Logically in my mind, one application means less chance to screw it up, though still not tied to that. I am thinking the same,

But is what it is. As long as I don’t put impatience over the plants health, I can drive myself crazy on maximizing… relatively.
There’s a lot I won’t be doing next grow, lol, including pot sizes. I would have been happier if I had done my lighting differently in several ways too…

An apt analogy is when I work on a show as a sound or light designer, I work on the show until the last few performances, making little tweaks to “perfect” it even though no one but me noticed… then those last few days I still notice the little things but, who cares at this point? I’m happy my plants made it this far with my shoddy care, feels like it’s time to treat them! But not at the risk of harming them, naturally.

1 Like

Try the roots organic terp tea flower. You can brew it into a tea or use it as a scratch in amendment. I really love the stuff.

4.20 a bag for the next 3 hours! Damn I love Google sometimes

https://growgreenmi.com/roots-organics-terp-tea-grow-3-lb?gclid=CjwKCAiAxeX_BRASEiwAc1QdkUZoEHRzkGQhpBqMwccGpTsk-2-hjKjRVNcaIqF4qwUfrMThWZ7aaBoCsksQAvD_BwE

1 Like

So I use both the grow and flower terp tea, but I mainly use it as I mix up my soil. 2 cups of flower into the soil for the bottom half of 6 each 7 gallons pots, and the same of grow terp tea for the top half (so the soil is skewed to veg foods when the roots are in the top and flower foods when the roots get to the bottom half.)

For clarity, 2 cups of either amendment into about 21 gallons of soil, mix well and fill all the pots halfway up with flower on the bottom and grow on the top. Then transplant into the pots set up like this, minimal feeding needed after that. Usually a fish emulsion, cal mag, kelp powder, myco innoculants, etc.

2 Likes