Adding liquid fertilizer to Fox Farms Soil?

How many of you guys are feeding liquid fertilizer on top of your Fox Farms soil? I used to mix my own soil back in the day, but now I can just buy premixed stuff from the hydro store.

My plants grow just fine in it, but I have never flowered anything using it. Are you guys adding any additional nutrients during flower? Just curious.

3 Likes

Fox Farms Happy Frog + Ocean Forest are in my mix, I still use nutrients with them but I donā€™t give my plants very high doses at all, like 1/4 what the bottle says.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll hold off on feeding with newly purchased soil until the plants start looking a little ā€˜leanā€™, and then I will switch to a very heavy feeding schedule and back it up from there to find the right middle ground. That way, I kind of get an idea of left and right limits of the plants.

With something like Fox Farms Ocean Forest, I would begin feeding after week 5, maybe, of veg if it is a large container. With Happy Frog, Iā€™d probably start feeding by week 3. But really, I wait until the plants tell me. I will always be liquid feeding by the time I go to flower if I am not using a living or amended soil.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never used as much as the bottle says. Usually, I donā€™t even get to half. I am not sure where they get their numbers and ratios from. Maybe if I were using crushed glass for soilā€¦

2 Likes

With soil blends like ocean forest, or my local stoneington blend, you should be able to just add water, at least for a while depending on container size. That said, fox farm kinda rates low in the comparison of super soils, so some supplementing towards the end may be needed. With the coast of Maine stoneington blend, itā€™s designed to work a full grow season (seed to harvest outdoors) in 15gal or larger container. Smaller container, youā€™ll need to feed. Smaller plant not veg very long, can prob get by with as little as 3-5 gallon without needing to feed extra. @ReikoX has a good recipe that he says works as water only in 3 actual gallons of mix (3gaL nursery pots donā€™t hold 3 gallons) but I donā€™t remember how big of a plant/clone he was referring to.

2 Likes

Unless youā€™re talking a pretty extreme Sativa with a meager appetite, thereā€™s not enough food in FFOF or Happy Frog to get a healthy plant all the way through bloom.

Either modify the soil as suggested above or yeahā€¦ just use whatever fertilizer fits your fancy, it all works.

Stay hazed
Jake

6 Likes

I agree, it does rate low. But I wouldnā€™t start feeding the first week or two of transplantā€¦

I just realized Iā€™m also thinking about the wrong thread :man_facepalming: Someone else just talking about transplanting into fox farm and feeding it a few days later.

1 Like

My first indoor grow(s) was FFOF with FF nutrients. You definitely need to add nutrition of some kind. But like everyone says, youā€™re good until the plant gets to a decent size (foot tall or so). For most people, you may not even need any late veg/early flower.

Currently using Happy Frog and FF Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. :beers:

I add liquid fertilizer, but I prefer to make guano tea, and keep the soil food web aliveā€¦

I have grown with fox farm liquid fertilizers before. They work, but the flavor of herbs grown organically, with guano teas, is far superior-

2 Likes

At least with the FF powder flower supplements I feel they give your herb a distinct fabric softener scent and flavor. I stopped using them and first switched to general organics, which gave a wonderful deep skunkiness, then to roots organic which balanced the skunky and floral notes more. This is all IMO.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help guys

Anyone done a blend of Promix HP and HF or OF soil? Curious the difference between the 2 FF soils when mixed with HP.

I used a FF HF and perlite mix in the past and didnā€™t have to add anything until 3-4 weeks of veg. From there though, it took some tweaking to find the right range of nutes. Iā€™d def start slow like others have suggested.

Happy Frog basically is promix HP with a very light nutrient charge. All peat and perlite blends.

OF is basically promix with a light charge of amendments, maybe some bark. Havenā€™t used it in 10 years but Iā€™m assuming the mix hasnā€™t changed too much.

Really all the same stuff, more or less. Easier and cheaper to just use Promix and control the fertilization, but thereā€™s sooo many ways to skin this cat. No ā€œrightā€ or ā€œwrongā€ way to go about it.

3 Likes

Youā€™re right about that Vernal. More growing mediums/blends than you can shake a stick at!

I add liquid nutrients right after transplanting to FFOF. Depends how big your plants and their root system is on how much you could/should feed.

ā€œSuper soilsā€ like those that advertise water only, do have a disclaimer of how big of a container you need to grow in for those results. For the coast of Maine Stoneington blend that I was looking at (made locally here) say you need to use 15gal of it to be water only from seed to harvest for one growing season.
If your using less, then use a light fert blend as the soil still has slow release stuff. Something simple like Alaskan or Neptune fish. Or use a dry fert blend and top dress.

Good Questions, Good Answers.

The old hippie who taught me how to grow said: ā€˜use the best soil you can find then add ā€œFertsā€ (nutes) at 1/10 of what they tell you on every other watering.ā€™

Best advice I ever received, most of the rest I had to learn in the school of failed harvests!

PS, I recall he also said, ā€œFertilizer is more like daily vitamins than steroids!ā€ I think that is about right also. If your grow medium is righteous the nutes are the cherry on top. And if your medium is off, no nutes can save it.

Iā€™ve heard, going to try, is find an old tree stump thatā€™s been decaying for a while, when the wood breaks into a fluffy dirt when you crush it, mix that into your soil and it does wonders.

Iā€™m jealous you have easy access to to Coast Of Maine soils. I have a hard time and just located a good supply of their Master Nursery line of soils including the soil builder. Found one place in a short drive thatā€™s got the Lobster compost and stocked up on all of them. Plus a few bags of Gardners Gold for outdoor patio tomatoes. I feed Neptuneā€™s Harvest from about week 3 of veg. Plus a few air airated compost teas w ewc and bat guano. I LOVE ORGANIC SOILS IN BAGS.
I wonā€™t have to buy soils till next spring.
Just a few hours ago I bagged up next round of MAC1 and GMO. Doing a side by side of 3 MAC1 one in BarHarbor one in Stonington and one in my mix of soil builder with lobster compost and a few other easy to add things. Recipe was from a guy on eye see.

1 Like