Someone please help me, im grasping at straws

Well ive been battling what appears to be “i dunno what the fuck” for a few weeks

Plants look fine outside, bring them in, they’re steady get unhappy to the point of blue dark leaves, interveinal chlorosis, curling, yellowing, etc.

Im growing under led the first time ever3, was a successful hid grower for 20+ year’s. But since going led, i seem to look like thr most wet behind the ears newb ive ever seen. To humble myself to the level to admit to say I feel like i don’t know what the hell im doing strikes my pride and ego in the worst way possible, but logic tells me to step off My horse and im humbly asking for some direction.

Temps sre around 75-80, im also chasing vpd for the first time ever which also feels like a uphill battle. I always stuck by 55-60 rh in veg, 50 or less in flower.

I have heaters, dehum’s, ac, tons of exhaust if needed, c02 if needed, etc

See pics

9 Likes

VPD goes hand in hand with PPFD – the amount of PAR light dispersed along a surface. Take readings and make sure the PAR levels are in range with both the VPD for that stage of growth, as well as the energy (nutrients or soil microbiota that make them) are adequate to support that level of PAR/VPD.

Environment and energy need to be aligned better with some strains than others. Think of the light energy as the engine in a car, and the food supply as the gas. You can replace the engine for a better one, and give it higher quality fuel, but if the rest can’t keep up, things will just fall apart.

5 Likes

Welcome back. Not sure i see what you see. They look pretty good. Im sure OG will get you to a healthy harvest. Coupla questions.
What are you feeding plants?
Do they start outside? What genetics are you growing?

2 Likes

Thank you, but these are Way bad

The transition to perfect Happy praying leaves to dark droopy leaves, spotting, curling leaves, purple red petioles, ive been around ling enough to tell something is seriously going on. While marginal and acute at the moment, given time these will get worse and worse, thus was them a week ago outside,

They’re in living soil, Same mix i been feeding for years, although i did start to give them 0.2 ec of synthetic calmag as per all the fear mongering 8 hear these days about “ro water being bad without it” gh cal mag 2ml per gallon.

This was against my better judgement by the way, but outside they looked fine.

I usually feed them bubbled to with a pinch of coffee grinder powdered prilled dolomite st around 55ppm , that’s what i did in the past.

I had stopped growing in 2014 due to being snitched on and getting arrested. Was running a modest 14,000 watt grow (10k hps bud room {2 rooms 5000 watts each) and a 4 k veg room (2 x 2000 watts) did 4 and some change, got out in 2020 , we got legal grow rights now, so i friggin took a home equity loan out and dumped a few grand into building a few proper lung rooms to house various sized tents

These particular ones are in 2 aci 2x4’s with 2 vipraspectra p1000 100 watt panels each featuring mean well drivers and Samsung lm301h diodes. Quality built unit’s

5 Likes

your girls need a couple things. but first what is your run off (PH) from say the worst looking plant. as i think you just got a little off on PH as new growth is very yellow in color maybe (iron) ph locked it out as well blocking uptake of cal mag my guess is you have a low ph as the color of your plants is really dark they are loaded up with nutes they cant take in i would be really curious to learn the run off ph and ppm

The lack of radiant heat with led hinders uptake ( mag etc )
Compared to the sun or hps
Maybe

4 Likes

Tried raising the led a bit higher or turning it down a bit? The led’s drive them a lot harder than HIDs do. Outdoors is a different beast all together.

5 Likes

Howdy @Couchlocked, did you ever experience similar problems with your plants when using HID lighting?

I think since for the better part of the past 40 years cannabis prohibition influenced the rise of indoor garden practices. During that period, the lamps have mostly been HID and selections from plants made under those. I’ve noticed a lot of these types of issues from various members here and on other sites and it seems the most common denominator is LED lighting.

It’s not to say LED is bad, but instead to highlight the differences of light signaling done by plants across varying lighting intensities, temperature, and such. Cannabis regulates it’s temperature differently under LED’s than HID’s given similar setups. The quality of the light is different and as such so is the response from plants. That’s my opinion, so a bit of dialing on the feed, lighting intensity, and such. I think I’ve read it’s recommended to use a bit lower strength nutrients when plants metabolizing fast due to light signaling response. Perhaps that might help alleviate some of the compounding issues. Congratulations on your new garden space. Wishing you great success in your gardening endeavors. Many blessings and much love

6 Likes

They got nothing but living soil, ph runoff is irrelevant. As its living soil, you don’t feed nutes, you don’t adjust pH

4 Likes

I have Hannah soil PH meters and soil AC meters I’ll take readings but again I’ve never concerned myself with ph in 20 years of doing this with living soil I don’t understand why it would be a thing now only time I concern myself with ph was when I was growing hydro

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt to check.

5 Likes

I will check it ASAP when I get home
But here’s the thing if your soil isn’t buffering pH there’s nothing you can do to make it change like as you can’t really pH ro water unless you buffer with synthetics

If I toss a couple cat pools of like something mild in there like Big Bloom and try to pH it well have you ever tried that it is a another chasing your tail situation and then you have another synthetic element in there that’s going to start messing with your living soil Rhizosphere.

But I will check it in I don’t mean to come off like I’m shunning the advice and help given to me it’s just it doesn’t seem likely

3 Likes

But then again here I am asking for help so who knows so I’ll give those tests a shot when I get home

Dimmeth your lighteth

11 Likes

If your living soil is good and you don’t think it’s an issue with your soil, roots, or feed I would assume it’s the light signaling causing the plants metabolism to go out of wack. If you can’t feed less then I would suggest trying a different type of light in there to see if for example, you have the same problems with HID.

Otherwise, dial the light you have in. Raise it up or bump the power down if possible. Tinker around with the variables you have to see if you notice improvement or more decline. I’d suggest to even try a dose of 1/4 strength liquid nutrients if you don’t notice improvement with other means. Could be anything really, but I think it all starts with the light signaling from the LED that the plants aren’t used to with respect to their ancestral lineage. Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

As others have mentioned, led’s can push your plants hard.
The typical fix that I have found is to simply feed more (a lot more) to compensate. But I run hydro.

Since you can’t do that, IMO your only option is to reduce the intensity of your lights. Good luck.

5 Likes

I would stop this. It’s one of your few parameter changes, it seems like an innocuous product, but maybe something is wrong with it, or maybe your rhizosphere is just thrown out of balance by it.

I agree with others, LEDs are awesome, but no indoor light will be exactly the same as the sun, and it will be a slight adjustment. I’ve brought other veggies in and out, and the bigger issue for them seems to be the humidity and VPD. They do adapt to my inability to keep the humidity up, but it’s clear they are happier when I do better with that. However, your beginning problem doesn’t look like any of that sort of adjustment issues.

It really looks like a nutrient thing. Could the soil have gotten water logged and some root rot be happening? They look like small pots with nice living soil, but if you had a significant dry to wilting and then a substantial watering that could allow root rot to start. I would upend that pot and take a look and sniff at your root ball.

The other big thing I see transitioning plants to inside is that combining the mild stress of adjustment with the lack of predators indoors means pest species such as spider mites tend to explode. The only way I can think for pests to cause that kind of effect would be root damage, so it seems unlikely, but wanted to mention it.

I don’t know much about fungal issues on leaves, but the way your worst plant looks seems a bit like septoria. I would remove and throw away the damaged leaves on it.

Action wise, I also suggest since you have multiple plants, divide them into groups and try ideas such as stopping the cal-mag or increasing it on different groups.

I grow in living soil too, and what has best supported my plants in nutrient issues is a top dressing of humic acid. I put on about a quarter cup in pots your size. It’s a soil buffer and balancer.

3 Likes

Actually that’s the thing the roots are insanely vigorous white is all hell not a smell or sign of rot anywhere matter fact daily I see more roots coming out the bottom of my drainage holes.

2 Likes

Plants were started in paradise and moved to the hood. They’re adjusting to the less than stellar conditions. Topdressed b4 moving in?
$0.02

3 Likes

Root mass From one that was the worst that i moida’d. And some drainage holes shots of Roots looking good on another sad specimen

So root rot I have to rule out.

I think it’s what one suggested, stop fucking around with cal-mag, and soil mix a bit hot for LED

6 Likes