Someone please help me, im grasping at straws

Do you have a picture that you can share that shows the spectrum analysis chart for your LED’s?

@Heritagefarms is the member I couldn’t remember the name of who has the solid information regarding these types of issues, and they even mentioned the thread I was thinking of:

@Heritagefarms you mention not enough green light and I often comment suggesting it’s too much/broad of green in the spectrum recipe for LED’s, whatever it is the ratios are off when problems are being observed and your comments are very valuable to help sort these things. HID isn’t perfect but seems to work well, LED’s when the spectrum recipe isn’t good does poorly, and LED’s with a good spectrum recipe or supplemented with whatever is missing seems to work very well.

For all the mentions of PPFD by different members I think it’s important but I think just as much or even more important is the quality of that light energy as it relates to the photoreceptors in a given plant. The spectrum soup.

Whenever there are problems like this here in the thread with LED’s my first thought is how it would be nice to see the spectrum analysis chart for the lights compared to for example a 400/600/1000 watt Hortilux HPS for relevance. Since the sun puts out more light energy outside the visible light spectrum, and since plants don’t have eyeballs like humans they probably don’t rely on the visible spectrum as much and more happens at the extremes of the visible light range and into the unseen like near far red, infrared, and uv. This could explain why HID lamps with their light energy mostly concentrated at the edges of the visible light spectrum have proven to do well compared to the LED arrays who don’t match similar well performing spectrum recipes. Whereas the LED’s that better match the ratios of HID lamps seem to do well enough for many to say they outperform the HID and are more efficient doing so.

I wonder if it’s possible to have plants tested for how many and which photo receptors they have, so that light recipes can be even more meticulously dialed in, does anyone know if that’s a possibility? Wondering if supplementing CO2 would help in some of these instances as well. Awesome topic it’s got my brain feeling a workout and it’s enjoyable. Many blessings and much love

1 Like