Specializing in hot peppers

@BRMTreefarmer and @WubbaLubbaDubDub, 2 of 3 plants are thriving, temps around here are like that and it’s been raining a lot!! High humidity!! Congrats brother!! You won’t regret it, unless you misuse it!! lol! :pray: :clap: :clap: :clap: :fire: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :hugs:

3 Likes

Oh wow they like it warm eh?
I’m keeping them in my 25-27C tent(77-80.6F)
I’ll either have to put a heat pad under them on a timer for the ‘night’.
Or just keep them in my inside tents that stay a bit warmer

1 Like

Seeds might take a long time before you get fruits…check out ebay for fig cuttings bromigo…I actually sell mine at ebay but I dont have any at the moment…

1 Like

Some Like it Hot, lol! I keep the seedling tray on a heat mat set about 80°F, 24/7. A couple of screw-in leds over them 10-12 hours.
They should start to pop up in about weeks. I don’t use a dome, don’t want 'em to damp off.
I’ve never soaked them, it will be interesting to see how yours do. You’ve got me thinking of trying to germinate some in a paper towel!

2 Likes

How much growth do you see in a season after cutting back that far?

1 Like

Fig trees will grow 15+ ft. tall if you let them…I got my figs from an old retired Chicago school teacher who was Italian and he got his fig cuttings(clones) from his father’s fig tree… My friend’s tree is over 15+ ft. tall and he has to bend it over and cover it with tarps…it takes him 1.5 wks to bend it over slowly without snapping the main tree trunk…
I personally don’t want a big ass tree in my back yard so I keep mine no taller than 5-6 ft. tall…you can also keep it in a big pot and bring it in your house during winter but it has to be covered in a black plastic garbage bag so it stays dormant for the wintertime…
Mine is a lot more bushier because I will get more branches growing out of the main trunk…the last 2 pix are my fig trees, the first 2 pix are clones from my fig trees…

Vegetable Garden 2021

13 Likes

I ordered plants from these guys a couple years ago. They were well packed and delivered on the date I requested. Later that year they announced they were retiring/shutting down. But, they are still there, so I am not sure if it is the same owners. They have a pretty good selection:
https://www.chileplants.com/

When it comes to digging them up - I have a process for it. I dig them up, trim the branches down to the fist 2-4 nodes. I trim off ALL leaves. I also trim the roots down and rinse most of the soil out of the root. I then spray the trunk/branches with a neem oil solution.
At this point I repot. Most of that is to remove pests/eggs. I don’t want to bring spider mites or aphid eggs in the house, and so far for 4 years I have not.

At this point you can take two routes. Pot them in a dry soil and put in a cool (40s F) place. With luck they will go dormant like it is winter, and revive when planted outside. I have heard this has a 50% success rate.
Instead I pot them in a good potting mix, and put them under lights/fans. They will put out new leaves pretty quickly (1-3 weeks depending on the variety). Then just water and maybe fertilize. For short season varieties I will often get flowers and peppers and have to trim the plants back to fit their shelf.
Doing it this way I have only lost 2 of about 25 plants I have dig up over the last few years. I had a reaper that was on its 4th season this year, but didn’t do well this year so I decided not to keep it again. I have a jalapeno that is either 3 or 4 seasons old (tags got mixed a couple years ago so I am not 100% sure).

This is a jalapeno from summer 2018, dug up in early october 2018. The pic is from feb 2019, just under some shop LED tubes on a shelf. It has some edema as I didn’t have good airflow, but otherwise healthy and waiting for spring.

9 Likes

Ha, I think peppers really do want to be perennials! I whacked the tabasco I brought in back to about 8," no repotting, in a SIPs bucket… in about 3 weeks it was putting out new shoots!

I may give your way a try this year, it’s nice to get a jump on the season, and to be sure we can get what we need.

The site you posted looks great. We’re going to try Reapers, Paper Lantern Habs, Fataliis, and Mustard Habs this year. Chileplants actually has them all! I’ve never ordered plants in the mail. That’s pretty cool! Thanks for that!

3 Likes

My wife thanks you. I guess I do too, even though now she will have me planting fig trees out here. :slight_smile: That’s OK though. I like figs. lol

2 Likes

I was a bit worried too, but they all came in well. They were 4-10" plants, all labeled, and had a piece of cardboard (with a slit for the plant stem) over the soil so it wouldn’t come out of the pot. Like I said, it’s been a couple years, and may be different owners/management - but I had a good experience with them. I even found a picture of them :slight_smile:

9 Likes

haha, all good…You´re not too high :wink:
my Buddy took that pic,dunno why he turned it upside down

Carolina Reapers can live for a long time just bring them in during winter and self pollinate and you will get peppers during the wintertime…they wont big huge peppers but it still has the heat…

Pepper leaves. … The leaves from sweet pepper and hot pepper plants (Capsicum annuum and Capsicum frutescens) are edible and they are downright delicious. They have a milder pepper flavor than the peppers themselves, and taste a little like white pepper—delicate and fragrant.

16 Likes

Just popped my very hot jalapeño’s

and Serrano pepper

10 Likes

One of the sponsors of OG, Shitseeds,sells pepper seeds as well as cannabis seeds…
https://www.shitseeds.com/shop

4 Likes

One of my favorites - Chocolate Poblano Peppers (a little spicy, a little smoky)

and the crazy hot jalapeño’s

12 Likes

I became addicted to green chile when I lived in New Mexico. I’m back in the Midwest so now I order seeds from the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University. They carry a variety of hot pepper seeds. I don’t have a great place for an outdoor garden at my new house so I grow a few in containers on my deck. This year I didn’t grow anything from the green chile pepper family because I was given a few habanero-esque plants. My friends sell starter plants at the farmers market - I believe they source their genetics from Baker Creek Heirlooms (aka rareseeds.com) - and they gave me a Scotch Bonnet, a Caribbean Red, and a Jamaican Chocolate Habanero. I threw all three into a 7 gallon fabric pot with my usual ProMix + perlite mix. They didn’t produce much before our first frost so I brought the container indoors. They pumped out quite a few after that - I ended up with a gallon’s worth of peppers.

So far I’ve made two batches of sauce: Bright Side and Dark Side. The former uses Caribbean Red chiles but has a vibrant orange color from carrots and sweetness from pineapple. The latter is dark and funky with balsamic vinegar, cloves, dark fruit (blueberries, cherries, and cranberries), and cloves - and the heat level is elevated with the Jamaican Chocolates.

Great to see this pepper discussion here!

15 Likes

I like the sound of your Dark sauce, some of my favorite flavours. Have you got a breakdown of amounts or ratios.

Some black cardamom might go nice in that as well.

2 Likes

I used 9 chiles, a couple medium carrots, two large cloves of garlic, and one package (8oz?) of dried “mixed berries” (cherry, cranberry, blueberry) from the store. I simmered vinegar in a 1:6 ratio of balsamic to white - since a little balsamic goes a very long way - added the veggies, salt, ground clove and a hint of cinnamon. After the simmer I used an immersion blender, then poured through a strainer. I added a little of the solids back so the final result wasn’t too runny. Just had to pour through a funnel into the bottles.

This batch yielded 6 woozy bottles of sauce. These are not shelf stable and require refrigeration.

7 Likes

Cheers man, I will have a bash at making that :+1:

2 Likes

i was just getting ready to order some pepper seeds for the spring. Thinking of jalepeno, serrano, pablano and either a hatch or pueblo chili variety.

3 Likes