Vegetable Garden - 2022

How (and when) does your garden grow?

Like so many of us here, I love having a vegetable garden in my yard every year. I try to grow as many plants from seed as possible, but that’s not always as easy as it sounds. I find it challenging to know when to start the seeds so I have nice plants to take outdoors, but not massive plants that take up too much precious space while they’re growing indoors.

My staples are a variety of heirloom tomatoes, hot peppers, herbs & lettuces. I also always grow heirloom cucumbers and “Kentucky Wonder” green beans, along with some type of yellow squash and pumpkins. After that, I tend to mix it up, including melons, watermelons, blackberries and raspberries.

What are you planning for this year? Have you already started your seeds for transplant outdoors?

Here’s a pic of some cherry tomatoes. I no longer grow them, but I like the picture for some reason!

47 Likes

Really cool picture of them maters!
Intrinsically balanced…
I’m doing some spices through the winter, no veggies til spring in Michigan, Can’t wait.

8 Likes

Love gardening!!! I’m in northern Michigan and grow lots of tomatoes, potatoes(in straw bails), jalapeños, tons of mild peppers, chili peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and all the herbs. I have some basil in the window now. I buy my tomato and pepper plants in the spring, and the rest I grow from seed.

6 Likes

Getting my garden going for the year to, az greenhouse :wink:

14 Likes

With silver bells, cockle shells, and pretty maids all in a row.

Just kidding, but I think I have some cucumbers creeping in my no-till pot.

Six more months until planting season here.

11 Likes

I think this is the year I restart mine, that is if the shots in the spine and the weed take care of the pain enough.

7 Likes

Nothing :frowning: Planning on moving house sometime in August, about 6 weeks after you can safely plant outside, so cant grow anything outside this year. Might try some indoor micro greens though.

Tomatoes look great man :+1:

8 Likes

Thanks, guys! You’ve made my tomatoes very happy :blush:

That’s a bummer, @Shadey. Sounds like you won’t be doing much gardening of any type for quite a bit of this year, which is sad. I love the therapeutic benefits of gardening, having nothing to do with the harvests. I’m sure you’ll miss it, but hopefully not too much.

9 Likes

I’ll hit this up in 2 months lol
We just getting started with winter.
Tomatoes and pepper as far as the eye can see

5 Likes

I plan to do a lot as always. I have two 4x8 raised beds an herb bed that is probably 6x20 a bed that gets all my peppers and whatever herbs didn’t fit in the herb bed😄 I berry bed with a thornless blackberry and 2 different types of blueberries, an 8x30 bed for all my vining stuff(melons,squash, pumpkins) that also has my asparagus and room for 2 more rows of tomatoes cause they never all fit in my raised beds, 4 young trees(2 fruit and 2 not), lilac bushes and hostas, and 2 beds of perennials and flowers out front. Not to mention the dozens(at least) of potted plants that end up everywhere of all types. Even got a fig tree in a 15 gal that I move to a sheltered location for winter. Then there’s the houseplants. And the cannabis. Decided to go from my 15 gal smart bags for my ladies this year straight into the earth. They’re gonna get monstrous😄

8 Likes

Wow that’s going to keep you really busy :+1:

6 Likes

It always does. The fact that I have so much different stuff is probably what makes it most difficult honestly. But that doesn’t stop me from always taking in new, different things :smiley: and I want to redo my existing raised beds and put a few into that large area that I have for vining plants. I just started working that area 2 years ago so I’ve been focused on bettering the native soil to start with

6 Likes

I have to have the house, attached double garage and sun room all lifted up and the basement as well as the garage pad blown away and re-pored. I have a garden area that has not been used other than one year when I first moved in. To much time working on other things and this money pit of a house. Good thing I did not have time to till the garden, the previous owner ran the electrical to a shed through the garden six inches down.

I love those tomatoes. I grew some green beans at my previous house and brought a bag over to a buddy’s house. Later I go a call from him, he said him and the wife thought it odd of me until they cooked them up and tried them. AND THEY WERE SO GOOD! I guess he only had store bought vegetables, my parents had us growing what we needed for the year on a plot of land. Other kids got to go to the lake, we got to go to the farm. We did eat well though. I would like to grow stuff again, but I have a ton of things to get to that built up over the years due to my illness.

6 Likes

I got my seed order in a few days before Christmas. I don’t start anything until March.

\ 60x60 Early Wonder - Beet Seeds × 1 $3.00
\ 60x60 Detroit Dark Red - Beet Seeds - (1892) × 1 $3.00
\ 60x60 Ruby Queen - Beet Seeds (1956) × 1 $3.95
\ 60x60 Acadian - Cherry Tomato Seeds × 1 $3.95
\ 60x60 Amish Paste - Tomato Seeds × 1 $3.00
\ 60x60 Short Season Heirloom Seeds Collection × 1

This is what is in their Short season collection

1. 3 packs Improved Golden Wax Bean

2. 3 packs Stringless Green Pod Bean

3. Early Wonder Beet

4. Calabrese Broccoli

5. Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage

6. Danvers Half Long Carrot

7. Scarlet Nantes Carrot

8. Red Core Chantenay Carrot

9. Tom Thumb Popcorn

10. National Pickling Cucumber

11. Miniature Dwarf Cucumber

12. Dwarf Curled Scotch Kale

13. Early White Vienna Kohlrabi

14. Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce

15. Feuille de Chene Blonde Lettuce

16. Soup Celery

17. Farnorth Melon

18. Early Yellow Globe Onion

19. Hollow Crown Parsnip

20. 3 packs Homesteader Pea

21. Dwarf Gray Sugar Pea

22. Weaver’s Mennonite Stuffing Pepper

23. Early Jalapeno Pepper

24. Cherry Belle Radish

25. Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach

26. Summer Savory

27. Spaghetti Squash

28. Old Ukrainian Dill

29. Small Sugar Pumpkin

30. Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard

31. Latah Tomato

32. Farthest North Tomato

33. Purple Top Milan Turnip

34. Blue Breadseed Poppy

35. Franz Bunching Onion

17 Likes

That’s a lot different veges, where did you get the seeds from. Are the numbers the anount of seeds in the Detroit Dark Red and Ruby Red Beets, or is that a date :thinking:

4 Likes

Man that will be a nightmare lifting a house and garage to remove the foundation and re pore it.

I saw a small house down the road from us that had it done, and it took nearly 6 months to get it all finished.

2 Likes

I think the numbers you are talking about are the dates the variety was established or created.
I get all my seed from Heritage Harvest Seed out of Manitoba, other then one carrot type , which is the only hybrid I grow.

3 Likes

I will have to check them out their prices seem very reasonable compared to the Halifax seeds company.

3 Likes

Don’t get ANYTHING from Halifax GREED lol Not only is everything there ridiculously overpriced, they also use to really enjoy trying to get us weed growers busted and would go out of their way trying to do so.

4 Likes

Baker Creek has amazing heirlooms and all kinds of cool stuff you’d struggle to find elsewhere. Massive selection, prices are a bit high but worth it to get something you won’t find otherwise

5 Likes