Specializing in hot peppers

I like carrot as it adds some sweetness without being overpowering, and it helps emulsify so you get less separation. But I also use xanthan gum. This is a 2 gallon bucket with some of the smoked habs as well as onion, shallot, and elephant garlic that my friend with the small farm grew.

They were put in brine Oct 5. Not sure how long I will leave them.

This is from Oct 2019, some experiments in brine. My first sauerkraut, also a sauerkraut with reapers. Those are gone now, but only one of the other jars was blended to sauce, the rest are still sitting in brine.

This is Oct this year, when I blended this one.

29 Likes

I grew peppers and tomatoes last year in one of my tents
They do very well in tents tomato’s grew crazy cherry ones

6 Likes

It’s great to see a bunch of pepperheads! Do you grow from your own seeds?
One of our kids lived near Puckerbutt Farm, and gave me a sampler of 12 of their pretty hot peppers.
Actually they were stupid hot, lol! I saved the seeds, and after a few years, the peppers all morphed into something they weren’t when I got them! That’s when I found out about pepper cross pollination.
Now it’s new seeds every year. I’m on the East Coast, and have been getting them from Tomato Growers Supply Company, Seeds and Such, or Puckerbutt.
Our oldest son has a side gig fermenting sauce, but nothing close to 2 years! That’s impressive.
It’s cool to me how fermenting tones down the heat and brings out the flavor.
Pepper power!

10 Likes

I start from plants mostly, but also from seed. I have a lot of problem with peppers and tomatoes damping off, so established plants is easier for me.
Peppers are also perennial if they don’t frost, so I dig up and indoor overwinter 3-5 plants every year.

8 Likes

I have a dedicated tent for peppers, I have 7 pot douglah, 3 reapers, a scotch bonnet , jalapeño, red Chillies and a banana pepper plant. Also I’m trying to save a chocolate habenero. It’s had a rough start. I started everything from seed.

10 Likes

I’ve never tried digging one up, but I’ve brought them in in 5 gallon buckets. Ms Horse put the kibosh on that, lol! I’ve taken clones, too… and they rooted!
The past few years seem to have been hard on folks supplying pepper plants around here. Not sure why, but unless you like Jalpenos (which I don’t), it’s been hard to find what we want early in the season.
I’m not jinxing myself about damping off luck!

1 Like

Uhh oh.

We’ll be seeing Reaper Cookies OG pretty soon…

:sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree: :v: :hot_pepper:

4 Likes

we got lotsa Peppers too this year ,so we put some in Vodka…

…some fire for cold winter days :snowflake:

13 Likes

For the standard varieties, and now the Carolina reapers, I get starts from stores/garden centers. But I want to have many different colors, I ordered through Texas hot peppers but haven’t grown any yet. Really looking forward to growing scotch bonnets and KS lemon starburst.

4 Likes

Carolina Reapers

22 Likes

that color! I want it in a filled doughnut with chocolate icing :upside_down_face:

taco magic

you should try this, if you haven’t. https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-Fiery-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00FZ6GO04/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1NJ2EO2H86U7P&keywords=marie+sharps+hot+sauce&qid=1640722465&sprefix=marie+sharp%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-11

cinnamon stick would be good in there too. spike some hot cocoa with it!

2 Likes

oooo…figs! I’m so jealous. I wish I could grow a fig here. killed 4 saplings so far. havent had a decent fig in almost 30 years.

Thanks BTG. Based on your experience, I may try to smoke some prior to fermentation, as well. Sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

My friend just gave me a pack of these for Christmas!

11 Likes

I use Cardamom in my red cabbage Sauerkraut and it comes out delicious!!!

4 Likes

@WubbaLubbaDubDub you got burnt my friend!!! (Well, not yet!) lol!! “Careful with that ax Eugene!” as @BigMike55 would say!!!

4 Likes

I live in Central Illinois and we get snow and zero below zero temps and fig trees still can thrive here…we had a bumper crop this year…I also have citrus trees and pineapples…

20210913_072850

Heres a fig cutting that I had in my cloner…

27 Likes

Oh Gosh!! The mothers!! :flushed: :scream:

@PhilCuisine you’re giving me ideas!! My cloner will be a multitask unit!!! lol!

4 Likes

Oh man, lucky you. Your pictures are making my mouth water and I just burned one down. I’m Ohio, up by the lake. Snow belt. Twice I ordered seedlings a year ahead. Supposed to be for my zone. Didn’t last the winter. I’m planning on a small greenhouse when the budget allows. I’ll try again.

1 Like

Either I’m too much into toking or you have an upside down bottle!! @saxo !!! :flushed: :thinking: :worried:

2 Likes