Spraying Monterey Insect Spray (Spinosad)

Wondering if anyone has sprayed this before? I have been battling with Thrips on and off and while its not the end of the world I hate seeing them just take over during flowering.

Unfortunately spinosad is not available in Canada (I have read this is a labeling issue)… I however was able to find some, which has given me a glimmer of hope to finally lick these bastards!

I have some concern about not kicking the shit out of my plants. It appears whenever I hit them with a pyrethrin or insecticidal soap spray they just take a beating. I always spray without lights on and let them sit to dry before going back under.

Anyone with experience with Monterey Garden Insect Spray? Should I expect my plants to just freak out and get burned up as I have experienced with other products? I have to treat my vegging plants but I do have some that have gone to the flower room that are showing signs of Thrip damage. They have no flower production yet - so I’m not worried there… I just don’t want to beat the shit out of them at this stage.

Any experience or thoughts would be great…

5 Likes

It’s pretty similar to Spinosad, here you can find some info on how to deal with it … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Take normal spraying precautions - lights out, let dry, etc - but imo it doesn’t affect plants like some other sprays. Don’t spray in flower. You will be happy with it’s efficacy. :v:

3 Likes

Spraying in veg, it damn near seems like they are happier afterwards. Haven’t seen it cause any issues at the recommended dilutions.

4 Likes

I used spinosad with success on my outdoor.

Indoor, I turn on a temporary weak fluorescent light, allowing me to turn the main lights off during spraying and drying. (Just dont forget to turn off/unplug the temp light, like I did once.)

2 Likes

Great!

Well I’ll let ‘er rip when I get the bottle tomorrow and hope for the best!

1 Like

I have used it for thrips as both a spray and soil drench. For me, it does cause some moderate leaf damage. It seems to be mainly cosmetic, and the plants seem to do better with fewer thrips.

I’m battling a few myself. This time I got some Captain Jack’s Dead Bug but have also used Monterey.

2 Likes

OOps, I already did. Is that really bad? I thought if I rinsed later it was supposed to be ok. I’ve been fighting with spider mites

2 Likes

You’ll be happy with captain jacks

2 Likes

Just sprayed with Monterey - we’ll see how the tester plant responds. Don’t think it will be an issue. Have some G13HP seedlings showing some thrip damage - we’ll see how tough they are next

1 Like

How far into flower were you? Spinosad residue tends to stick around because of it’s translaminar properties. In addition to that, there are studies saying Spinosad can be damaging to lung tissue if smoked.

1 Like

Probably about 5 weeks into flower. It wasn’t a thorough soaking with the spray, I was just trying to get the underside of the leaves more than soaking the flowers.

1 Like

Abstract

Spinosad is one of the most extensively used bio-pesticide in the world. The effects of pesticide in human health are mainly associated with its residue in food or occupational exposure in agricultural production. The lung is the direct target of pesticides exposure, although the study of inhalation damage caused by Spinosad remains unclear. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the cytotoxic effects of the Spinosad in human lung cells. We demonstrated that Spinosad could inhibite the proliferation of human lung epithelial A549 cells, induce the DNA damage and enhance the programmed cell death. Intracellular biochemical assay indicated that DNA double strand breaks, cleaved of PARP, release of cytochrome c, decrease of mitochondrial membrane potential, generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), activation of caspase-3/9, increase of Bax/Bcl-2 ratio, LC3-II conversion, accumulation of Beclin-1, degradation of p62 and the changes in the phosphorylation of AMPK, mTOR are contributed to the toxic effects of Spinosad in A549 cells. The results showed that the cytotoxicity of Spinosad may be associated with the activity of mitochondrial apoptotic pathways or AMPK/mTOR-mediated autophagy. Meanwhile, the DNA stand breaks caused by the Spinosad suggest it has a potential genotoxic effects on human lung cells. We conclude that Spinosad has a potential risk to human health by inducing the cytotoxic effects.

1 Like

@PlantShepherd

OK, now because I trust you, what is safe to use in flower?

Some say not to use neem because it can leave a taste. So azamax is out too? Can these be washed off with a good budwash?

Captains Jack’s, safers soap, and bt all OK? What other options besides lace wings, predatory mites, ladybugs?

1 Like

I have used neem and essential oils pretty late in flower with no problems (residues or otherwise). You just have to cut the rate down and make sure it’s emulsified well so you don’t burn the pistils. For thrips, I don’t have a solution for mid/late flower at this time. I really don’t like to spray anything mid/late flower unless I absolutely have to. This is why I think it’s super important to have an IPM program in place.

5 Likes

I can report back that spraying Monterey at the rate shown on the back (1/4 tbsp / litre) did not burn my plants at all.

So I’m pretty happy there! Sprayed a number of other veg plants, including the seedlings. Well see how they respond!

2 Likes

So edibles perhaps.
Also, forgive me but what is an IPM program.

1 Like

Integrated Pest Management. Basically layers of pest deterrents. A lot of people will spray, release predators, etc even if they don’t see any problems. Not necessarily at infestation rate, but still hitting them to make their environment is hostile to pests, molds, mildews, etc. :v:

Crap, I used spinosad for the first time after having thrips for the first time. I used it at day 34 flower after seeing so many people saying it was safe even in late flower: Bodhi Summer Tester - Lush X 88G13/HP

Would washing my buds help at all? I’m generally concerned about smoking this bud now.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad @schmarmpit i did the same thing this round. I think I sprayed in week 3 and 4 in flower. But same thing I saw people saying it was safe to use all the way up to harvest, with no effect on flavor. Yikes! Lesson learned. Got to step my IPM game up.

And @man-bot I never had any problems after spraying. Just make sure to do it right before the lights shut off. Your girls will love it. I also use as soil drench.

4 Likes