Hanz vs. The Tranny Thrips from Hell

Hanz vs. The Tranny Thrips from Hell

Spinosad seems to be banned now here in Canada, or at least the province of Ontario and I don’t use synthetic/harmful pesticides. So I’m on thrip-duty regularly.
Neem oil, diatomaceous earth, nematodes, Amblyseius swirskii(Predator), blue stick-cards, fans on level-11, temps as low as possible…
Anybody else battling these little bastards in the veg room or greenhouse without spinosad?

…should rename this thread to: Got thrips! What to do?

11 Likes

Topic moved and renamed, as per request.

I would not have guessed that Spin would be banned, Seems to be a very specific action against insects similar to BT, I would not have guessed that it is harmful to humans.

3 Likes

Use a lot of d.e, put it on the leaves also. I put the d.e in a cup than cover it with a piece of window screen. I dust everywhere.

4 Likes

try method 1 pps, supposedly effective against thrips, mites, etc i got it because of gnats n for IPM but have yet to try it

2 Likes

what ended up being effective for you @Scissor-Hanz ? I just discovered 2 nymphs on the back of a leaf, it’s just a few of the lower leafs on one plant thats showing damage right now so hopefully i caught it early and glad i caught it before i flipped to 12/12 … i will be treating with method 1 pps tomorrow but definitely want multiple weapons up my sleeve

2 Likes

Foliar spray and soil drench with nematodes has the most noticeable effect for me. I try to apply every 7-10 days.
$35 worth from Home Hardware lasts a long time, and I spray the whole room. After it dries or the next day, I dust everything with DE.
…and sticky cards catch a LOT of adults.

1 Like

did your adults fly?? i think i’ve only ever seen the pupae or whatever on the leaves, they’re really fast lil yellow things, are those the adults? i think i’ve defeated them, 23 days after beginning applications…

if i were to do it over again, i would:

• begin treating the soil immediately, i was only spraying leaves for the first 2 weeks maybe
  • spray more thoroughly right from the beginning (running my hands up the stalks while spraying to expose the underside of the leaves.) these things are very small so easy to miss and they reproduce alone so you need to kill every! single! one!
1 Like

Yes the quick-moving yellow cigar-shaped bastards are the adults.
Mine can fly, yes. I hang a sticky card from the ceiling and they find their way to it.

do they kind of fly weird? like a drunken zig zag path almost?? there was one day i could just barely see something flying but i couldn’t kill it cause it wasn’t flying straight lol

2 Likes

Yes they are very fast and they kind of fly / jump.
I haven’t sprayed my flower room for weeks because there are buds, and the thrips are off-the-charts in there.
Veg room is clean tho because I’m spraying/drenching with nematodes regularly

If you only have a few adults, try sticky cards to catch them

i’m just in a 4x4 tent so i’m just spraying the walls lmao i think i might have gotten it mostly beaten i havent seen any for a few days inspecting daily. do the nematodes for fungus gnats work on thrips too ?

Yup +1: I have success with these from Home Hardware…

and those works for you ? they are H.bacteriophora and i know for gnats i used S.Feltiae - but i guess if it works i’ll have to try it out

Yes they work and they store longer than the other kind that I used to buy too.

@Scissor-Hanz I noticed you said you were harboring the Swiirski mite predators.

What did you think of them? Did they make a dent in the population at all?

Stay hazed
Jake

1 Like

I sometimes use the ‘Swiirski’ in the bloom room where I can’t spray nematodes. They definitely work, but I apply them at 10X’s the recommended dose.
Wish I had some now, but I’m too close to the finish to make them worth the order.

1 Like

Right on man!

That’s one of three species of predator I will be using as part of my IPM moving forward.

Good to hear some real world feed back.
Much appreciated!

Stay hazed
Jake

2 Likes

Just found a Thrip in Flowering trying to decide what to do next

1 Like

Get spinosad. :+1: Works like magic.

edit: oh if you are in flower already, you may have to be a bit more passive.
They are attracted to blue stick cards, and predators can knock the numbers down.

http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/subcat.php?cat=5&subcat=9

2 Likes

Ahh i put yellows in, I’m also in ontario… So no spinosad for me eh? and perhaps I will go for ladybugs, I found only ONE but where theres one theres more… Im not sure if my local hydro store carries lady bugs though

2 Likes