Cultivar Laboratory Testing Results ⚛

I thought it would be nice to share laboratory test results.

For those that go through the trouble, please consider uploading your results for your specific strains here.

Breeder: Cult Classics
Strain: Jupiter & Beyond

Sow: Peat Pellet
Media: Promix HPCC + worm castings, Fabric Pots
Lighting: Natural Greenhouse + Supplemental
Nutrients: Megacrop, Mycorrhiza, PK boost in flower
Vegetation Period: didn’t track
Flower Period: didn’t track
Cure: ~4 Weeks
Lab: MCR

Edit: Updated reports including the analysis for terpenes:
#4_potency_terpenes_document.pdf (606.6 KB)
#1_potency_terpenes_document.pdf (574.3 KB)

Same plant. Notice the disparity between the two samples.

The terpenes between the two samples are, for the most part, identical. Terpinolene comprises almost 30% of the measured terpenes. Which is a bit unusual. Beta-Myrcene and Beta-Caryophyllene weigh in as the second and third most abundant terpenes.

While the strain is noted to be a balanced hybrid of THC:CBD, this particular phenotype exibited 0% CBD.

27 Likes

At least those lab results show things we as growers are interested in knowing.
Margin of error on all THC tests are like 20% so many labs can put almost anything.
Last I heard if I wanted testing they’d do the mold, pesticide, and dozens of other
useless tests on products you know are clean but still being charged to perform.

So far haven’t found a lab that accepts personal medical grows, only commercial,
and that only happens AFTER you turn over your ENTIRE CROP and if it fails is
promptly destroyed or retested at your expense, etc…

5 Likes

The variance from sample to sample is exactly why cannabis FLOWER will most likely never have a DIN#.

However, for oils and capsules etc they can determine exact concentrations.

5 Likes

I’ve heard that the accuracy of lab tests have been questioned from lab-to-lab.

Though, it was also sort-of expected in this case. I chopped that entire plant all at once. The sample from #1 was a smaller bud, perhaps not as matured as the sample #4. idk if that matters.

First time submitting a sample to be analyzed. Will likely do it on future runs to track progress. Hopefully the results are accurate enough for hand-grenades and general trends…

13 Likes

The MCR lab folk will do non-commercial. Though, you have to walk the samples in.

There must be more options out there.

9 Likes

Where is that the rule? that BLOWS!

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

US based laboratories (that provide non-compliance/non-commercial specific analysis):

Steep Hill

Allows individual samples. Walk-in samples.
Potency tests (express) = $50/sample. Standard Potency ~= $70. Terpene Tests = ???. Other testing is available. They have locations in:

• Little Rock, AR
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Honolulu, HI
  • Columbia, MD
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Portland, OR
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Tukwila, WA
  • Washington, DC

Steep Hill Alaska

Allows individual samples, walk-in.
Potency tests = $80, terpenes ~= $80. Other testing is available. They have locations in:

• Anchorage, AK

MCR Labs

Allows individual samples. Walk-in.
Potency tests = $50, terpenes = $25. Other testing is available. They have locations in:

• Framingham, MA

Proverde Labs

Allows individual samples. You need to register on their site for ordering/pricing information.
They have locations in:

Agricor Labs

I believe they allow individual samples and I don’t know pricing. They have locations in:

• Denver, CO

EVIO Labs

Pricing for potency ~=$90 (thanks @anon4675195).

• Bend, OR
  • Portland, OR
  • Medford, OR
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Humboldt, CA
  • Denver, CO
  • Davie, FL
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Southborough, MA
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • Los Angeles, CA (coming soon)
  • Palm Desert, CA (coming soon)
  • Costa Mesa, CA (coming soon)

Analytical 360

Pricing for cannabinoids: ~$50. Terpenes: ~$50

• Yakima, WA
  • Seattle, WA

And, a fairly comprehensive list here: https://industrydirectory.mjbizdaily.com/testing-lab-services/

17 Likes

:blush: Manual like. :wave: :microscope:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

ProVerde has another location in Milford MA.

1 Like

Would you happen to know the fees they charge?

2 Likes

Real time.

7 Likes

I have been told you can mail samples to ProVerde. I haven’t looked into it too much yet, but if true I am going to send some hemp samples there.

I have gone through Evio when they used to have a drop off location in Eugene. The price was $90 a sample for potency only.

3 Likes

with regard to the margin of error with the thc testing, i would like to point out some labs will test the sample completely dry, vs testing the sample with the water content that you walked it in with.

testing the sample completely dry makes the numbers look good, most of your off the street dispensary customers are looking for high thc numbers, although i think soon customers will be more interested in a terpene profile rather than just high thc numbers.

7 Likes

Good tip and a good question to ask when submitting a sample. I wonder if the labs have to dry the sample in preparation for HPLC/MS in either case. Just a matter of when they weight the sample matter?

I agree.

4 Likes

both can be ran with ‘wet’ samples, its just if they freeze dry the sample before they mix it with the solvent before injection into the column. for some labs storing samples in a freeze drier is just standard operating procedure to preserve essential oils.

i worked in a medical lab for 3 years doing blood work.

5 Likes

qPCR testing is interesting, it can track lineage of a plant if it has prior samples to compare it to.

they’re using the same tech to sex plants while still in veg and doing predictive cannabinoid and terpine testing.

5 Likes

Interesting. Analytical grade solvents? Is that why?

And good to know. May have been lucky. MCR, for instance, in the referenced OP claims HPLC:

We use modern technology to bring cannabis science into the 21st century. For quantitative analyses we utilize High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) to evaluate cannabinoid levels in samples. This technique offers the accuracy and reliability of gas chromatography (GC) but offers the ability to distinguish all the cannabinoids due to a lower working temperature. HPLC is the gold standard in pharmaceutical testing.

I’ll follow-up with them on their methodology, at least, to verify.

These guys : https://analytical360.com/cannabis-analysis also claim HPLC for cannabinoids at a similar price point, $50.
Agricor claims HPLC for cannabinoids (Colorado). I haven’t checked the rest in the above list.

Also, maybe different/less expensive solvents for cannabinoids?

The most commonly used extraction solvent for cannabinoid analysis is 9:1 methanol/chloroform (% v/v), with some exceptions [9, 11, 14–16]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5395585/

3 Likes

qPCR testing is interesting. Is this what Phylos is doing?

I looked briefly into genetic sequencing costs. They have partial and full sequencing available. Partial ~$500 and full around 3K. So, a bit of a commitment.

Umm, lets see there was phylos and then another company in MA. Let me find it…

2 Likes

ive been out of the labs for 4 years, so maybe hplc is becoming more mainstream.

ya ive seen a lab use straight lab grade methanol for cannabinoid extraction with same results as the customary chloroform blend, but using chloroform you have to be under a fume hood, with methanol the handling requirements are less stringent.

you know, for the hell of it i opened up ebay and it looks like you can get a HPLC rig for 5,000 usd.

i swear if my backwards state ever legalizes im opening a testing lab, everyone wants to grow, but its all got to be tested.

7 Likes

phylos uses qPCR, and remo does too. thats something you should look into, you take a rubbing sample of a leaf and mail it in. i havent done it personally but theres some youtube stuff out there worth watching.

4 Likes