Strange looking tree...need help identifying.

Hi OG! My neighbors were moving and had a bunch of old trees they never planted. They gave me a few that I planted, but I have one that is still in the pot and I’m not sure what it is. They said it gets little tiny yellow flowers but they didn’t know what it was either.
I think it must’ve been broken. It smells like a mesquite, but it doesn’t have thorns and it’s almost more lemony. I wish I could send the smell through the screen. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone recognizes this leaf pattern or knows what this is?

3 Likes

Supposedly there’s a smartphone app for this… I can’t help otherwise. :blush:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Thats cool! I’ll have to check that out. Thank you

1 Like

You could possibly be describing a Golden Raintree.
To hard to tell in your pictures, and I am a tree surgeon/arborist.

6 Likes

Acacia tree or mesquite i can’t tell

1 Like

Most mesquites and acacias have thorns……

3 Likes

Creeping Mesquite doesn’t…idk just guessing…i haven’t seen an Acacia tree in many moons…but i have that annoying mesquite all over my property

1 Like

Yep when I lived in Tucson those damn mesquites were everywhere, great for smoking meat, but the pods on those things are a PIA to clean up.

4 Likes

Syrian mesquite?

2 Likes

@tamis Ive been using an app called “Picture This,” its pretty good, idk if there are better ones though. I’ve been wandering through my new yard identifying how many invasive species have come from Asia mostly lol :sweat_smile:

Aye, @Oldjoints do you actually partner with ChipDrop since you’re a arborist? I’ve been waiting for a little bit(5weeks) for a free drop, but nothing yet, I didn’t want any logs in my load though and didn’t pay any $, do you think that might be why I haven’t received a load yet? :no_mouth:

1 Like

No I have no clue about that service. When I had my company I had many that wanted chips and always picked the closest one. I am sure they do the same as it saves time and money. They want to get rid of the chips as much as you want them. May want to give them a reminder though……

3 Likes

Okay, cool i think i will send a reminder, I need it for my garden haha

and yeah, it’s a company that connects arborists to people wanting their chips for free basically. I found out about it on some gardening website. You just have to be able to take a whole dump truck load at once haha

Most likely they will be freshly chipped and will need time to cure. Don’t put freshly cut chips in your garden or you will deeply regret it. After a few months they will start to break down and then will be useable. If you are just using them to stop weeds then you can use them fresh. To speed up decomposition use nitrogen on the chip pile…… The pile will start smoking as it starts to decompose.

3 Likes

Thank for the advice, yeah I’m building this garden from scratch. I had read about a giant steaming pile and combustion if the piles were left as they were dumped lol.

It’s all clay subsoil here, so I dug I foot deep, added layers of leaves and bamboo I chopped, added a bunch of Black Cow compost, then lasagna layered it with cardboard. Covered it back with a light layer of clay, and I am continually adding my kitchen scraps to it. I need a yard of soil and then a yard of mulch for the top then I am going to plant Diakon Radishes because they are apparently the ultimate clay buster cover crop. I don’t plan on planting till next spring.

Anyway, sorry to get off-topic OP, but for real, those apps are pretty good at identifying plants.

Bursera microphylla maybe aka elephant tree.

3 Likes

There aren’t a lot of Golden Raintrees in my area, but the ones around here are currently flowering and look SPECTACULAR!!!
(Not my pic)

5 Likes

I read this about the mesquite pod mess and had to LOL cause ain’t that the truth!

I will take a better pic of it later. I might just put it in the ground and see what it does. Thank you everyone!

1 Like

I’ve always been afraid of the free chips being pure black walnut lol

3 Likes

I am going to 2ed Bursera Microphila @anon58740919

Mostly from Mexico, they have an aromatic sap, and are the new world relative of Frankincense.

Speaking of Tucson @Oldjoints the ONLY population of these trees in the USA is just west of Tucson in the Waterman Mountains (subspecies Watermanii) in the Ironwood National Forest. Also the only locality for the endangered cactus Echinocactus Horizonthalonius nicholii. Pretty special place having the only populations in the world of 2 different succulent plants.

I have touched them in habitat! Will dig for pics but it was a few years ago.

Amazingly given how aromatic they are the bighorn sheep actually graze their new growth twigs. Probably getting highAF on aromatics!

:robot:

5 Likes