Support & Trellising for big outdoor plants 🎄

Heh heh, yeah we left tomato cage territory a while ago! Like you said, maybe if I started out in them, they could be helping those big lower branches. Something to consider for next year!

And that’s a cool one, just strings no mesh

1 Like

They can take a lot of abuse. Snap em graft em no problem. Duct tape :+1:

2 Likes

Those are huge. I gave up on monsters long ago. Too much trimming for me. Looking good

3 Likes

Heard that! I got into bubble hash last year when I started to go a little crazy with the nug trimming. Not that it’s not work too, but it was pretty appealing to be able break things down more roughly and deal with it by the bucketful!

3 Likes

Hey friends — fall update on my support and trellising efforts.

I tried for minimal, but after some heavy downpours and some 40ish mph wind gusts that were pretty rough on my heavy, waterlogged plants, I’d say with larger plants I really do need to go for netting or similar next year for a less stressful late season.
I was really hoping I could get away without it, but after this year I think it’s worth it!

I may also try a row cover or polytunnel of some sort on one of my rows — getting out of direct wind and rain would be nice starting in September. Gonna ponder that one over the winter.

This tactic was pretty successful, though, in stabilizing the trunks from the wind:

(Shown on a post-harvest trunk)
In the past I’ve had wind gusts lean a plant over at its root ball, this was super secure solution. I made the straps a little too short initially, then found they do better at around a 45° angle or higher. I gave each strap a full turn around the trunk before looping back, which prevented them from sliding down and putting pressure on the branch below them.
I’d definitely use this again!

1 Like