Switched from t5 to 1000w hps (white spots)

so i swithched from t5 for veg to 1000w hps for flower and am developing white spots but they are not spreading and know that it is not spider mites can it be from switching to a more powerful light

1 Like

Hi @dawayno, welcome to OG!
Can you please attach photo?
I don’t think that light could damage leafs… (problems with heat are more common, but not in form of spots, more like whole parts of plants are damaged)
Maybe thrips?

3 Likes

Ive seen bad bad damage from stress by doing this. When you move plants outside you have to build up their strength. Lots of shade one day. And you slowly move it to full sun. Same should be done inside.

2 Likes

Pics are necessary to help people diagnose the problem.

EDIT: That’s one hell of an upgrade… Cheers!

1 Like

Can I ask what distance have you got the 1kw hps from the plant ?

Not the same as the T5 I hope, minimum 70 cm, better 1 meter to start with going from T5s to 1kw hps.

A picture would help, but agreed with LemonadeJoe, it SOUNDS like thrips, the increase in heat has possibly made them more active. :wink:

A very warm welcome to OG, @dawayno!

1 Like

Hey @dawayno show us some pics… People will help you better…

could be light burn its prolly best to harden off your plants before putting them under the 1000w

I will sometimes get some weird intervenial bleach spots on some of the mid to lower leaves going under the hps1000’s when I transplant, like a sort of spray pattern almost… Only on some leaves, 1-2 plants per 100 and it doesn’t spread or develop. I just pick them off and forget about it. Never had it return in bloom.

Again like has been said before we CANNOT give good advice without a picture, these spots could be from misting under the hps, a 1000w light is a lot for a young seedling to take they must be " hardened off " first so the light could be burning spots on the plants because water droplets act like magnifying glasses, OR it could be a case of premature nutrient feeding, or even too much water.
Yes it could be a lot of things that’s why pictures are so important.

1 Like

Ok I had to wait like a week after xplant to find what I was talking about …it happens to about 1-3% of plants and only after 12/12… Does not spread or reappear … Looks like a spray pattern but all I spray is ( push) from the ( veg+bloom) line of nutrients… Every 3 days till midbloom…anyways here’s the pics… Hope it helps

1 Like

As you can see it’s only like 2 leaves on 2% of the plants…always at the same time, when I pluck the leaves the problem does not re-appear until next cycle… Mabie it’s some sort of virus expression visible at only a specific stage of development, and only on plants that are weak… But it’s not the small uglies that get the spots… Or the monsters… It’s like super isolated and random…also the various cultivars I work with are randomly affected … It’s not just a bad mom…

Ok what I see are leaf tips turning down and leaf edges tuning up and that mean too much feeding, so stop it a while those spots could be from water droplets under the lights . A 1000w is a lot of light to take after fluorescent bulbs, move that light higher don’t splash when watering only mist when lights go out, I don’t mist ever! I measure water into the pot directly, no spray no splash no wierd white spots

2 Likes

push an veg+bloom is the bees knees

I veg under 1k mh bulbs on light movers… Spots and curling show on like a single leaf per plant on like 1-2plants per hundred … Super isolated

1 Like

Lights are higher than I expected, and the mover is Good too! Outdoor plants get moving light right? I rotate my plants around because they try to phototropize to meet the light and thereby strengthen the stalk and stems, great work!

1/4 turn every watering, and every leaf is waving at the fan…:+1:

1 Like