Switching to LED

i think some foxtailing can be good, like if there are lots of foxtails going down the whole bud instead of just 1 or 2 up top, can increase yield significantly :thumbsup:

However Iā€™m trying to flip it, the price for LED lighting for my 21 sq.f room is always somewhere near 666 bucks, thatā€™s not counting the drivers. With drivers, hangings, radiators and all shit its 1210 bucks, flip in another 100 for vent channels, airflow regulators and all air shit and there you have it. 150000 LED lumens will be roughly 1310 bucks. 114 lumens for a dollar, thatā€™s some price! But I know itā€™s the only way since Iā€™m going to be restricted on both KWtā€™s and ventilation.

UPD: And thatā€™s considering running CXB3590ā€™s on 2100 mA minimum. Most growers wouldnā€™t go above 1400 mA.
Although that with active cooling I will be able to push lumen output to the 200000, the price is still bogging me. Not that Iā€™m a cheapskate but after years and years of simply tossing 1000 HPS into the bin after 3 cycles and buying new oneā€™sā€¦ Meh. But Iā€™m still up for it!

You could actively cool a load of CLU48ā€™s with cheap CPU fans. Seems a popular solution for loads of people.

Nah, those who buys the cheap stuff are likely to pay for it twice of thrice. With this LED transition I forced to remind myself of that few times a day) And I plan to have the exhaust air from LED cooling system (going to have 175 cubic feet per minute fan in that system) to ventilate my clone room nearby.

1 Like

lol they are all made by the Chinese no matter what premium you pay. I have no problem with my citizen chips but why buy from the guys who claim to have invented the things when you can pay 3 times as much for another name :grin: They work very well and are quite cheap so i have a full set of spares, just in case :thumbsup:

1 Like

What @anon32470837 says. Especially true for COBs. Even with the heat managed, running LEDs at max will mostly just waste power, because once you get beyond 85% of max the additional lumen output is nomimal.

I love my CLU48s. Lose your undue fascination with Creeā€™s and youā€™ll save a bundle on costs, with no reduction in quality. Your information on LED manufacturers is a couple years old, Cree has sat on their lead and lost their edge. Citizen cranks out the lumens at Cree-like efficiencies at half the cost.

Why is this? Anonymity concerns? We are very discreet at SolStrips. How are you buying your COBs? With bitcoin on Silk Road?

Uh no. SolStrip fabrication is entirely automated with state-of-the-art pick-and-place machinery at one of the largest PCB fabrication facilities in China. Same facility that makes Quantum Boards, HLGā€™s ā€œmade in the USAā€ claims aside. Nobodyā€™s baking these in a toaster oven - so very 2012ā€¦ :wink:

-b420

5 Likes

With cash, obviously.

Already done. Iā€™d rather buy some F-series Samsung strips, which are. in effect, are similar to SolStrips. But they are nowhere near my location, while COBā€™s are here. Thatā€™s the only reason I incline to buy them instead of more well-spread assembly.

I get that, the initial plan was to run CXB3590 36v on 1400-1800 on veg, 2100 on early bloom and drive them to 2700-2800 on late stages of bloom. Thatā€™s right close to mentioned 85% or max capacity, which is 3400 if I remember correctly.

But I can rework my setup still, I got some time yet. Samsung F-series will give me the same lumen output as CXB3590 for the exact same price - BUT there would be no need to overdrive F-series, they give as much light at their optimum amperage. Citizen strips is on my next dish, yet to be researched. Thanks for the hint and information.

I really would like to buy SolStrips, but I just canā€™t. They seem like very good solution. I think adding aluminum layer for heat exchange would made them even more attractive.

JK, bro, relax. My jokes can hardly offset your merchandise, I heard that youā€™re almost always out of stock already.

As far as I know CLU048-1812C4-353M2K1 is 5 bucks cheaper than CXB3590-0000-000N0HCD35H-ND on digikey, while having approx. 4200 less lumen output at standart test.

I donā€™t know of Citizen producing rigid LED strips. The CLU48ā€™s referred to are COBs. Point being they are a better value at similar quality than your CXBā€™s.

SolStrips have always had a 1.6mm thick solid aluminum backing and 2 oz copper layer for superior heat mitigation. They are rigid MCPCBs, not cheap foil tapes as you seem to believe. Samsung F-Series strips use the same LM561C diodes, but on a ceramic-backed PCB. Good strips for sure, but not as good. Difference being F-Series are built for office building flouro retro-fits, SolStrips are designed for growing plants indoors.

We have hundreds of X2 and X3 SolStrips and SolStix in stock now, in five different spectrum options. Including a line of strips designed especially for recalcitrant COB jockeys (jk) looking to redeploy those 36v drivers in a strip retrofit project. Stop by sometime and check it out for yourself. We take cash too.

-b420

3 Likes

Stop rubbing your superior lighting into my face! :grinning:

I admit that your strips are superior than anything currently available on LED market.

If you can get SolSticks for $29.00 bro then iā€™m seriously jealous and cant for the life of me think why itā€™s even in question. Thatā€™s only Ā£21.50 in our treasury island currency! Weā€™d have 2 racks of them in our house with no hesitation if i could get them for that or even close. I got 4 SolSticks and they are quite simply brilliant however i had to surround them with cobs because inc delivery the 4 cost me over Ā£150.00. Thatā€™s around $190.00 and i still need another 6 to replace my cobs with an all SolStick rig. Guess iā€™ll be using the cobs for a while yet then eh but hey they are still way way better than hps :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Unfortunately bro. Our sovereign government shafts us six ways through Sunday for tax and charges. Thatā€™s the joys of importing from the US. It makes me as sad as it makes you. I still hooked you up best I could mate. Wish I could get them at that price too. It looks good price wise till it lands. Sure I shown you first hand lol

1 Like

I been considering the 80cm as a sample build to make the Mrs grow light. Have you got pics of any in use yet b420 Iā€™ve been eager to see them in action lol

1 Like

lol yeh bro been here before a few times. Glad you managed to sort us out with those strips and hope i can get some more. Hopefully before the predicted trade war starts that some seem to think don fart is trying to kick off.

btw a trump is a polite term for breaking wind in this part of the world :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I dropped you an inbox bro :wink: even shows you the weather today

1 Like

Cant find it bro, where did you send it to lol

1 Like

Not on here. Mate sorry lol. Not been on too much today

1 Like

Got you bro, found it :thumbsup: nice one mate!

1 Like

And in my case it will be even more, thatā€™s one of the reasons of being forced to stick with COBā€™s. But hey, on the bright side - they are really better than HPS)

2 Likes

Unless you live in the polar regions :thumbsup:

1 Like