Termites! (suck)

:unamused:

Last night I went out for a smoke & noticed termites had begun flocking to my light & plants on the back porch. :exclamation: So I observed & killed as many as possible but am virtually certain that some made it up into the pots through the drain holes. I turned out the light to stop attracting them, especially because it’s on my f’n house.

This morning no activity & looked up termites in potted plants on the interweb… there were a few old posts on the other cannabis forums & plenty on other garden sites.

Since this is my weed, I can’t go at it chemically, but thankfully most are still 1 gallon size & can be repotted immediately. But a couple are bigger pots & will need some termite bait/poison & cardboard I guess. :man_shrugging:

Crazy lesson learned. :thinking: This will make my growing even more of a challenge as it means moving the light way the f*ck away from the house. :sweat:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I don’t think they would mess with the plants? They only eat the dead wood, right?

Our season just ended, it’s scary as hell seeing them swarming, and we actually have an invasive species of them called Formosan that’s worse than the normal buggers. Y’all might have it out there to. Can’t buy a house where I am without having a Termite Bond on it.

Freaking invasive species :no_mouth:

5 Likes

Instead of moving them have you thought about maybe putting some mosquito netting over them? Might be worth a try.

1 Like

Maybe you should move to soilless medium hempy buckets, living in the wild :palm_tree: is great but you’ve got to deal with that sort of issues … :sweat:

2 Likes

According to other grow sites it’s a problem for our plants :cry: they eat the roots up to the stem & voila dead plant a la gopher.

yeah, I’m not 100% certain about mine but I know what’s coming now. :biohazard: :circus_tent:

well, I move them from lawn to porch at sundown & that’s obviously a hazard now. the light was the thing bringing them to the plants & they just went straight to the grow medium…

technically I am with pro-mix but I see what you’re saying. hydro termites… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Jeez I didn’t know that, evil buggers.

I mean, they serve their purpose, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them

2 Likes

Take a tablespoon full of powdered cinnamon and dump it on the soil, where the ants are building. The strong flavor of the cinnamon should be enough to scare of any ants that were thinking about colonizing your plants.

If you find that this isn’t enough to deter your new insect pals, dissolve a few more spoonfuls of cinnamon in some distilled water (the same amount you would use to water your plants) and pour it over your topsoil. Allow your cinnamon-water mixture to soak in. This strong-smelling concoction will absorb into the soil, tainting it’s flavor. This method is a sure fire way to send ants packing.

2 Likes

I dosed them heavily with ‘em-1 & bT just being hopeful & will get some nematodes if I can.