Terpenes. The smell behind cannabis

While terpenes and terpenoids as a term are often interchanged, there is difference:

Scientificaly terpenoids differ from terpenes in that they have oxygen in their relation.

There are also Flavinoids present in cannabis - they are responsible for smell and aroma.

So far over 1300 substances has been identified in cannabis plant.

9 Likes

Thanks @Muleskinner, that is some very nice info to have around!

Might have been mentioned already but the characteristic smell of Cannabis is created when myrcene degrades in sunlight, and has recently been given a name. Itā€™s such an uncommon compound in nature, and yet so common in Cannabis, and specifically hash, they named it Hashishene.

https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/hashishene-the-terpene-of-hashish/

3 Likes

I agree, I used to get some indoor Northern Lights that was like a pine tree smacked you in the face. :evergreen_tree: And to this day I would say itā€™s in my all time top 5 of herb Iā€™ve smoked. I donā€™t think any terpene can be associated with quality. Unless itā€™s those dirt or hay terps, never liked those much.

4 Likes

What would cause a change and loss of terps week 8 of flower

I left for 6 days and the pH drifted out of range but aside from that nothing different. I also started exhausting 24/7 vs half hour on every 2 hours due to smell creeping outside.

Before I left if I brushed against them Iā€™d stink the next day after a shower and multiple hand washings. Was just with my plants and sticking my nose to them I didnā€™t smell much so I squeezed a bud and still not much as well.

I donā€™t usually visit them at lights out but had to empty a dehumidifier that I forgot to during lights on. Maybe they stink less at lights out?

I should be chopping soon and this is bugging me out

2 Likes

@OP i swear some of the same terpenes exist in skunk and skunk cabbage

Brushing against the buds and squeezing them will cause major damage to the glandular trichomes, lowering smells. High temps will cause the smell to evaporate too, so at the end of the day you might expect it to be less noticeable .

There could be other factorsā€¦ second thought. I donā€™t know why I said could, Iā€™m sure there are. Lol :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m known to get a bit rough with them (grabbing and smelling them, tough to resist) But I was gone for 6 days and hadnā€™t touched them in that time. This was right as lights went out I visited them and tied up a few colas that had fallen over since I saw them last. These colas in question are still putting off white pistils, donā€™t get it. The other 3 are foxtailing and ripe ready to harvest and this one looks like it still needs two more weeks. Same strain.

1 Like

So because of the oxygen in the relation with flavonoids do they evaporate easier in an open air drying environment?