The Black: Strain History and Info

Spinning off a thread for @deep_rob

4 Likes

Its bc bud depo, the black. Bought it through seedsman a few years back, first time popping them. 3 seeds had 2 males 1 weird fem
I picked the darker male with a super thick stem base.

And this really strange female
I was pollinating today for f2s since I can’t find it any more.

2 Likes

let me make one thing clear. im not trippin. goal is to spread seeds and we did that. everybody steals, its part of the seed biz. To me, it is a badge of honor… so i aint trippin at all…

that is is man… they obviously fucked it up sometime after they stole it in 2007.
ive been working on trying to re-do it from scratch, will drop it in 2019…
I used the same lines that my partner used to create it originally in 2005/06 and we selected together. i did all the old hellfire stuff, but The Black was his baby… When we first partned up, The Black was the fist thing we agreed should be brought back,… using the oriignal lines, we re-made The Black and like i said, will release her for the first time since 2006, in early 2019.

out of curiousity, we did score both the reg and fem version from attittude… wanted to see what they did to the line.

re: yur photos: The short one is more like it, leaves are from the afghan parent… The Black should be a short dense indica bush that flowers in 8 wks and turns super dark dark purple, like jet black… The werid crazy leaves are not our doing… Either they inbred and criss-crossed genes of our stuff or, and this is what i feel they did, they used a non-dom local sk to the f1 oriignal The Black… like an offshoot of ISS or something… plain, commerical, but skunk line.

the tall ones, express the mexican hertiage, but our shit was true breeding, so idk seeing that parent phenotype pop-up. and the leavs are not mexican. , so that reinforces my belief they used a old ISS or something like that.

good choice on the male… thicker stems… after u make beans, look for a keeper mom that is short, super purple and flwer in 8 wks… the more indiica phenos are what it should be… If u make enough f2 beans, you should find one that leans towards the original.
Thanks for sharing man!

7 Likes

Oh hey thanks man! I’m really trying to get the original “the black” because I thought it was gone.
I don’t have designs on selling most of my little projects but I do share.

Except in the case of jj and topdawg seeds. Their behavior towards their customers is nigh awful and at 200 to 300 bucks a pack ill johnny appleseed that stuff all day lol

4 Likes

Pretty sure “the black” has been around BC since the early 90’s as a clone. I know I’ve personally smoked a strain of the same description from BC years prior to bcbd having the seed version. Although it was really dark and purple, other than being good for sleep it didn’t compare to other bc heavy Indicas in power like the tuna kush. Def reminds me a lot of certain afghanis. Wouldn’t be surprised if some old grower somewhere still has it.

1 Like

WORD! and a whole lot more characters!

1 Like

So its possible that bc bud depot isnt, the black
I guess I wasn’t that impressed with the mom.
I’m kindapicky about that stuff. Ill do some more research but if that’s true it pretty much disqualifies it from my garden.

LMFAO…
1st off, i dont want to hijack a thread… dude said he had my strian, was i was like Rad, lemme see… he said his piece, i said mine… But, Maybe @LemonadeJoe can make a thread for The Black, since there are people who want to know??? She is our cornerstone strain… Or can i just make a thread for black? I create a new topic here at breeders lab, right?

The short of it is, that in 2005/06 my partner created the Black, in America… several thousand MILES away from british columbia… They stole it in 2007, and less than a year later HT was calling it a top 10 strain of the year. …Its been an emotional roller coaster since that 2008 HT article came out… i told my partner, I was like, dude, if we coming out the underground, then we fucking for-sure are going carry The Black. so we will have it and black crosses…

It would be my pleasure to go over the history, the genetic makeup and how the hybrid was created. LIke i said before, we are transparent as fuck. anything u want to know about my genes, or process, I will gladly explain… (granted there are some trade secrets, of course, but im way more open them most)… @Morgwar @neogitus

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s any contention here.
I did say I had the black, as far as I knew or what I was sold, but keep in mind, I had no idea it was your strain and unfortunately I’m not well aquanted with you.
If you bred, the black then, I have a bc bud knock off.
I have no reason to doubt you, so I’m left in a quandary.
Indicas are very few in my seed library and I try to focus on authentic strains.
I’m not going retail with my stuff and don’t take cash for my stuff, so this is me collecting and preserving for heirloom and posterity sake.

4 Likes

im fixing to create a new topic. this can be deleted or arhcive…

Im not tripping on you guys. not at all. You guys are golden. Im just like, wow, nobody knows the truth?

you get what i mean? Like, its all good bro… but i will make a new thread, detailing the history…

@Morgwar I dont give a fuck, make f2’s and sell them. thats the seed trade, lol… Its all good brother!
Only time i get angry, is when people sell polys and dont tell people.

Nothing wrong with making and selling f2’s or polys, but u gotta be like “these are f2’s and there will be variation”… honesty is all, im saying… I got mad love for folks like Willy Jack and Sub.
its the money-hungry poeople outthere selling bullshit calling themselves breeders, that i got issues with.

4 Likes

Well I do wish you luck and good hunting, recreating the black!
I remember it and ak47 and white widow being the beez knees in the 90s and I’ve already got the ak and widow nailed.
Black Lebanese may be my best starting point for a dark strain. Ill chuckem and see how it goes.
There’s a pack of purple starburst from symbiotic that’s begging to be messed with too lol

2 Likes

I have some beans of this I’ll post pics of once I get around to popping them

3 Likes

Do you want me to merge this thread into the one you started so we can keep things together?