The Black: the truth about a Texas original

The Black
there seems to some controversy over this strain… Let me be clear, i’m not posting to start shit, or be a dick, or open up old wounds.
People have inquired, and therefore i feel that they deserve a truthful answer.

If this gets people’s panties in a wad, then, im sorry, my intention is not to stir shit up.

My intention is to set the record straight for History’s sake… we all know of strains with controversial histories, and me clearing up the truth on The Black, well that’s one less strain for all of us to have to speculate on… (even seedfinder has it wrong, lol)

The Black is a USA strain from Dallas, Texas. She was stabilized and finalized in 2005/06… She was local legend, tearing up the streets. In this area, we werent accustomed to pruple weed, so she was very special.

Backing up a bit, my partner started in the late 80’s, under the tutelage of his father. His father was a pioneer of outdoor cultivation the 70’s. He was a fucking legend in my home town man.
My partner made the Black with his dad’s oldschool lines.
She is piece of history, pure land races only. no hybrids were used.
Purposely and specifically used old lines to keep it real and authentic to our heritage and area. She is a tribute to the early growers in our area.

The actual lineage of the Black is as follows:

Vietnamese Green x Michoacan x Afghani x Blue Oaxacan

The Oaxacan is similar to the one i used in hellfire “Blue Mexican”, but his michoacan and afghan are not the same ones that i used and have.
i never used any vietnamsese in any of my stuff, that’s all from my partners father’s collection.

The Black is a short squat afghani-expression that flowers in 7 to 8 weeks. She gets totally dark purple, to the point to where she looks black, hence the name…
purple weed wasnt common in our area, so it was very unique. If we were in Cali, where purp weed was a thing for years, then she would have probably gotten a name with the word “Purple” in it…
But my partner named her the Black, b/c she wasnt normal green.

Where the controversy started:
It began when she left Texas. Around late 2007/early 2008, a Canadain seed merchant had heard throughthe grpavine ou this Texas legend. He got a hold of my partner and wanted to enter The Black into the HT Cannabis Cup in holland. He promised my partner the world, but in the end, he simply conned my boy. After the Cup, he kept The Black and started pumping out seed stock.

My boy got fucked, no credit, no money, and no royalities.
Matt re-wrote the lineage,and made up an entirely false backstory. This is not said as a cheap shot at Matt or his company, this is the truth, plain and simple.
If i wanted to take shots at them, there’s a shit-ton more stuff i can say. but im not here to be a dick, simply to set the record straight.

Every single old school Canada strain can be traced (for the most part). Romulan, SPG, ISS, mightymite, texada timewarp, etc. We know how they got there, and how they developed over the years.

But never any mention of The Black before 2007.

U really think some company would hold a strain for 20yrs and not tell anyone? Not even put out weed to sell or smoke? LOL. Any breeder who is lucky enough to have a platform to speak, (ie: internat’l seed co) will talk your fucking head off, about his or her strians. LOL, just look at this post, its a novel man!
We, as breeders are proud of what we do, and given the opportunity to speak, we will talk till the cows come home.

So, why is there no record of The Black in Canada, before 2007?

B/c she was the States. tearing up the black market and getting my city stoned as fuck.

We were underground and balls-deep fighting the War on Drugs, and not in the mainstream (ie: no internet presence) when it was stolen, so like any time shit goes sideways in the blackmarket, you just have to eat shit and smile. You chalk it up the The Game. No courts, no cops, no making a fuss.
U cant risk an entire operation just to pitch a fit like a child over 1 strain.

With the passage of time, anger has faded into acceptance and then into apathy.
Now, we wear it like a badge of honor.

This is the seed biz man, people been stealing and knocking-off strains, since Sam went to holland and since nevil started making money at seeds…

Its been over 10years… Aint no point to pitching a fit now… and really, starting shit will only serve to embarass Matt and them, which in turn, will make me look like a dick for pushing it that far…

Bottom line is,
They fucked up, they know it. I’ll let the public and consumers judge Matt and them. We fixing to drop our strain again, so why loose sleep over old shit, ya know?

I cannot vouch for the version Matt still sells. I bought some reg and fem from Tude, while back to see like WTF, and it’s my partners opinion and my opinion that Matt tossed in some oldschool sk, like something off ISS line, or something… idk, but there’s something else in matt’s The Black… . I leave it up to the consumer to decide whose beans to buy.

Thank you all for allowing me to set the record straight, if only for posterity and your own edification.
Cheers.

30 Likes

@deep_rob
I like your passion.
Glad to have you in the game still.

5 Likes

Please let me know when your Black is ready.

8 Likes

Yes keep is informed so we can grow some also.

3 Likes

Thanks deep_rob without guys like yourself, setting the truth out there. Canadians would actually buy from BCBD In my limited experience, they are regarded with the same opinion as you hold, comparable to Crop king and other re-sellers of Spanish grown knock-offs. Looking forward to 2019 releases from you…

4 Likes

Count me in as well, regardless of the pricing.

4 Likes

The black sounds like my kinda bitch. Matt sounds like a bitch. Shout up when you got some ready. Bet it’s a fire smoke.

Cola

3 Likes

That’s an incredible history.

Thank you for sharing and with out maliciousness.

I truly respect folks who can stay civil and have discussions.

I hope the Black you know comes back out, Would love to see what she’s like.

Keep grinding and doing the good work

4 Likes

canada has some great people and growers… the seed trade was differnt back then… i got no issue with poly, f1’s, f2’s or knock-offs… as long the dealer clearly states what it is… its when people lie, that i have issues with… there must be ethics in this trade. It’s prohibition and our own lies within our industry that has held us all back…

10 Likes

right on brother! will do!

3 Likes

sure thing man… we’ll be affordable… we aint sensi, lol. Cheers!

4 Likes

cheers, thanks man… this is who we are are, its our way or life… may have been underground for a while, but we never left… we a permanent fixture. cheers bro!

4 Likes

I was talking with nspecta and he told me the Black was the mendo purps worked into a line…

so yeah u have my attention if your saying your dads friend made mendo purps

3 Likes

Nope, he is missinformed. The Black and mendo purps are TWO unrelated strians man…
The Black was bred in texas, by my partner. Using Landrace genes brought to texas in the 1970’s. The Black is made up of the original black market strians broguht to texas, she’s like a tribute strian man.
My partner did not make mendo purps,that is from cali. It is not ours. we have no real ties to cali. There is no cali in our stuff.
All my genes are eitrher:
Texas orignal balck market strians (mex, central/south sat’s, vientnam and afghan), my old dutch genes, turn of century canada, and the shit i traveld and collected over the last 20 some odd years. we have no growing ties to cali whatsoever. I have no chemdawg in my lines and am proud of it. no OG, no diesel, no cookies, etc. i have issues with rez/chem and will not put his stuff into my lines. My parnter was islated in the south, no where near cali. Me, I alilghed myslef with CVandaians and the euproans, i never did anything in cali.
The Black and mendo purps are TWO unrelated strians man,. Im not tripping i just wnat to be clear, that just bc they both pruple dont mean they related.

7 Likes

Just hard to believe with that mix of genes it would finish even close to 8 - 9 weeks. but then again its just an opinion.

6 Likes

I had the Black x Burmese some years back, tasted like grapefruit

3 Likes

@deep_rob The Black look like this?

6 Likes

No, I think mine were Burmese dom as I got no darker colours.
Oops sorry for stepping in there.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @deep_rob. Great information and as a Texan, I’m proud of you bro! I am excited as a puppy with two Peters to grow the TexBlack/Champagne seeds you so graciously sent to me. Much love and respect my brother. The information on the Black is going straight in to oleskool’s Big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge. :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! There was great weed grown in Texas in the 70s. It was grown in gardens, horse corals, at the edge of rice fields on the Gulf Coast, and in the hills around Austin. I grew some! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes