The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Yeah, I old enough to remember and appreciate both of them. I think I have at least one Shel Silverstein children’s book that I’ve read to my grandchildren. I also remember his contributions to Playboy Magazine. He was always cool.

6 Likes

old silversides daughter

16 Likes

Is this now? I’m curious how you’ll protect her over the winter.

3 Likes

A little purple…

17 Likes

you will be real happy come harvest time, you have done a very nice job for sure

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: I need another drum of LITFA, used up the last after the deluge. :joy:

This one is what I was hoping for. The last few days the soapy odor has changed to jp4. That’s the only way I can describe it. Like standing on a busy runway.

4 Likes

Yeah that picture was taken a couple days ago. Although it’s depressing the plant has not even started flowering, it’s also a good sign. I’ll be digging the plant up. Along with this Panama plant

this one is a Survivor from the root balls I threw into a wheelbarrow after last winters seedrun. . Probably 20 or 30 seeds sprouted, and then drowned when the wheelbarrow filled up with water.

10 Likes

Do you think the fatter fan leaves that transition to skinnier as the plant gets older is a characteristic of Oaxacan? I noticed that on my Tribute plants. Not sure if that is just a sativa thing… I have only been growing cannabis for a couple of years now.

2 Likes

The fat leaves you are experiencing are from Indica genetics, but some pure sativas can have wide leaves at the beginning of their lives. Himalayan varieties are known for this trait.
Vermontman’s oaxacan flowers in about 10 weeks, which is too fast for a pure oaxacan. My belief is that what he found was a first-generation hybrid between oaxacan and some other faster flowering Landrace. Don’t get me wrong though, I would still love to have it. If I am able to create such a strain with my own breeding someday I will be very pleased with myself. Kudos to the Mexican breeders, and kudos to Vermont man.

11 Likes

Yeah my understanding is Big Sur Hollyweed is Mexican x Mazar… at least that what I was told by a friend who I trust. So that could potentially be two sources of Indica.

7 Likes

i hear this strain here and there and what do you guys know about this one and where can one find seed? of this magical strain?

4 Likes

. Ancestry depends who you talk to @TopicalWave. I have been told that there is some Nigerian genetics in Big Sur holy weed. I believe the Nigerian was mixed with some Mexican, and then an Indica was added, but don’t quote me. (Info from Snowhigh, but I’m not sure I am entirely accurate). I don’t think I’ve ever seen these genetics available in their pure state. Magical indeed!

8 Likes

interesting yea ive heard the name and seen the name more in these threads. it has me curious.
and now another strain to chase down. the list gets bigger but one day ill be close to trying them all

3 Likes

Started #upstates seeds couple of weeks ago.
Got speedy delivery to the Isthmus, are we bringing Panama home .

28th sept …lovely tails( colas) on the seeds all six top noche.

I will add a few more pics, just say thanks to upstate for helping me out trying return Panama red to Panama…this is a going experiment and hopefully more collaborating in the program is very welcome.

So you are welcome to contribute the grow as it goes on.
In fact I hope you do …I’m impressed already of the quality of the seeds.

Let’s hope they like high altitude here.

Paz

Paz

Real healthy seeds all germed around 72 hours ( all done).

17 Likes

What a great project! Best of luck… I hope to follow your progress as you go :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looking forward to this grow! It was absolute torture growing these knowing that I wouldn’t be smoking anything at the end. I will be happy getting to experience these through your pictures and posts😁. Panama in Panama! Sweeeet.

9 Likes

I was just responding to somebody in the MMS thread. I have some AGs running right now! Not MMS, but apparently from the same stock (Bodhi & woodstockfarmacy). I’ll post here & maybe start a log too

10 Likes

Your welcome …join in.

3 Likes

This is what I believe to be a misconception made about sources of Mexican weed, especially SW Mexican weed. Eastern Mexico and the Caribbean was influenced by imported African slaves by the Spanish, but not so much southwest Mexico which was a trip around the horn. The Spanish started growing Cannabis in Mexico at least as early as 1525 according to records in Madrid. That was called “Manila Hemp” sourced from Philippines. There was a heavy Spanish trade pipeline in the 16th century between Philippines and west Mexico.

I have grown a lot of African, Mexican, Colombian, and Se Asian landrace strains. Many of them from 1970s bag weed that I got myself in the 1970s. I have not smoked or grown any Mexican Landraces from Oaxaca, Michoacan, Jalisco, Zacatecas, or Guerrero that was anything like any other strains from the Caribbean, SE Asia, or Africa (with the one exception of Sinai weed which reminds me of Mexican landrace weed, but it grows completely different and is susceptible to PM, which Mexican landraces that I have grown are not). Mexican weed dominated the weed scene in California from before my time in the 1940s to the late 1970s when it was displaced by US local grown strains (mostly from California through the 1980s). After the 1980s the weed from Mexico was bred with indicas and changed drastically from the early landraces grown in SW Mexico through about 1980. After that weed growing in Mexico moved into the northern states from SW Mexico.

If you look at the early history of weed in Mexico, it was rapidly adopted in the 16th century by the indigenous tribes there that revered psychotropic plants and drugs. It was noted by the white researchers through the late 1700s that indigenous tribes in SW Mexico grew ‘hemp’ locally and made tea from the flowers. Other that that and hemp growing for cloth and rope, weed in Mexico until then was ignored. Later in the 1800s smoking weed became more popular in Mexico, which was a direct influence of African slaves who are attributed mostly for smoking weed. Later in the late 1800s an anti-marijuana movement began in Mexican upper class culture, and things went south. Many attribute (or blame) that movement to starting in the US, but it clearly started in Mexico. That aside…

Most (actually all) genetic testing I have seen on Mexican landrace strains has them most closely related to south Indian landrace strains. Having been to SW Mexico in the 1970s myself, and smoking god knows how much Mexican weed. Which leads me to also believe that they were early strains dating back several centuries to Spanish Colonial days and that they were bred locally by the indigenous tribes into what would later become the regional SW Mexican landraces from Oaxaca, Michoacan, and Guerrero. They tend to bloom earlier and finish in mid October. They tend to be what we would call ‘sativas’ with long skinny colas and narrow leaves. They also tend to be lighter in potency and have more floral and minty terpenes. A few strong Mexican strains were around, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

14 Likes

Well, having lived in Central California in the 60s and 70s myself, there was no African weed around there until the 1970s. I knew several African strain breeders in Pacific Valley in the late 1970s, just south of Big Sur. Big Sur Holy weed was pure landrace Zacatecas Purple grown in Big Sur in the late 1960s. I know of no early reference that says it was anything different, including Jerry Kamstra who coined the term Big Sur Holy Weed in his Life magazine series that was later published in the book Weed (published in 1974).

What people confuse Big Sur Holy Weed with here (and a lot of other places) is the later strain bred by people in the Santa Lucias (coast range) called SAGE. Sage stood for Sativa Afghan Genetic Equilibrium. It was Big Sur Holy x Afghani. Some confuse Afghani with African, but that was not the case. The African in that area that was available in the later 1970s was called “African.” Later on it was called African Black Magic. I have one African strain from 1978 or so, as well as several other strains that were bred with it from Pacific Valley. But no one can say for sure where it (the local African, later called African Black Magic) originated from. Some say Nigeria, others say Angola, others say Tanzania. It was potent as all fuk. One hit weed.

There is another tale of SAGE that is commonly told. That SAGE was a cross of Haze and an indica. But my opinion of early Haze is that it is just a Colombian cross from bag weed in Central California, and that the real Haze of fame was the one bred later by Nevil in Europe after it was exported from Norcal in 1986. The SAGE I knew of was Zacatecas Purple or Big Sur Holy to bred with an Afgahni in the 1970s.

I swear, the older I get the weirder the tales about where I lived and what we smoked back then. Never mind what and who bred what. Skunk weed was all over, no specific breeder or source, but the most potent skunk I saw was from the Santa Cruz mountain area (Boulder Creek and Felton). Similarly “purple” weed was all over. this was in the late 1970s when local NorCal weed dominated the scene. And it was cheap. $60-80 an oz. In the 1980s the lawyers started showing up with briefcases full of cash from back east and prices soured into the stratosphere. I also smoked the most potent weed grown by a black guy in the Hollywood Hills that he said was “African”. One hit and I passed out at a party in Laurel Canyon. I have some of those seeds. Dark purple plants that grow maybe 4 feet high. Weird looking. In comparison, Zac Purple (original BSHW) grows like a typical pure Mexican landrace with long skinny colas and up to 12-14 feet tall (grown in the heat of Carmel Valley, CA). It is all green and turns deep purple when it blooms. I have also had bags of Zac purple weed that were the same. We just called it “purple”.

22 Likes