The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Yeah that’s what I’ve never understood. South India doesn’t seem like an especially good place to grow indicas either.

7 Likes

Ye I give it ago…I’m in to that…thanks

3 Likes

Panama used to be a part of Colombia. Was known as new Granada…was no Panama till pre canal,
But there is still no road between Panama and Colombia.Yes there is the Darien Gap
The Pan American road dies out in the jungle between them.

Totally wrong …goes back to the route…of the gold …Cartagena to Portobbello
Was the Camino de Ora that The Spanish stole from Peru , Chile etc…when they were the masters ,

1. List item

ie. The Conquistadors…It’s still alive today…but it’s a human trafficking…

I’m so glad you agree that Panama red and Punta roja are Genetically same.

It totally makes sense…and it’s correct…Panama red and Colombian Puta roja are the same…ain’t rocket science…

Don’t understand why not…Marines in the Canal Zone took it back…aka 1935 ie…and was loved …but was Central American.
N

4 Likes

Looks like Oaxaca might dominate the hybrid. The leaves look similar. What do you think?

3 Likes

I’ve been looking closely and comparing as they develop and yes, the hybrids at first glance do look very similar only more vigorous but the leaves are definitely wider for their length. Not having seen the Thai parent I don’t know how different they are from that. I imagine the growth habit will tell us something too. They took off faster and are more robust but the Oaxacans are catching up. This might be an environmental thing, the Oaxacans seem more temperature sensitive at this age than the cross. Even very brief temperature drops of more than 10 degrees visibly bother them while the hybrids are not affected.

I’ll try to get some useful comparative pictures for discussion.

5 Likes

I’d happily give those a go if you still have some.

4 Likes

Look what arrived in the mail for me! So cool seeing seeds made from pollen that was shipped hundreds of kms from Canada to the US. It is so damn cool!

12 Likes

I have a couple people that called dibs already. I’ll have to see what i have left. The 14 weeker was the best plant of the bunch by far.

4 Likes

Here are the Thai as seedlings.

The Oaxaca handles cold temperatures no problem. Strange. Couple of them survived temperatures in the mid-20s. Doesn’t sound like it’s affected their speed of growth…

14 Likes

How many consecutive days were the Oaxacans subjected to 20 degree temperatures?

3 Likes

as you know its colder here in the us, but the Oaxaca i have is up and looks happy esp. for being so young 3weeks but really happy and healthy, seems to be a strong strain that loves life.
i have another sativa different strain that is a bit droopy because of the cold, but i dont care about that one.

6 Likes

Oh no, I’m talking about the short temperature drops when I open the tent. After thinking about it it’s more likely the humidity drop.

I’ll get pics this evening. The Oaxacan influence is definitely there, those Thai look like more like fireplugs than ladders! :joy:

4 Likes

Quite alright! I’m not suffering for adventure. It’s a fair wager if you bothered with it it’s worthwhile. :wink:

3 Likes

Gosh - mid 20’s - that’s incredible. It barely ever frosts where I’m at and hasn’t gotten that cold yet this year. Sounds like a might be able to grow these full sun :star_struck:

About when do you think they’d be ready to chop outside? Probably mid-december?

3 Likes

Just one night that cold. A Pallani Black South Indian sprout that popped up in mamas container also survived 20 degrees. Old Silversides survived 28 degrees and wasn’t tested at 20. Flowered nornally after and didn’t seem bothered. The plants I had left out I was done with…just experimenting, but the Pallani and the original OSS plant i brought in afterwards. Caught my attention surviving such cold temps. Must either get very cold in the high Oaxacan Mountains, or perhaps this is the original ancestry( pre Oaxaca)showing its hardiness.
One other possibility is that the thick frost actually protected the plants from colder temps like an igloo. Good possibilty, but even if true the frost resistance was impressive, particularly with Oaxaca. The South Indian was a sprout, and sprouts can often take frost ime.

10 Likes

I want a Thai that accepts 20 Farenheit.

My SE Asian Aproximations all started to have problems at higher Temps… Around when Klima-diagramm shows Freezing temps they suffered.

but im talking continous cold, not just one Night

4 Likes

As far as harvest goes outdoors, i would say early Early December- Christmas time at 42 North for this Oaxaca on average. A few weeks earlier at 30 North, so mid November- early December Subtract or add 2-3 days for every latitude degree you are different than the home latitude of the landrace or outdoor heirloom. Add days if North. Subtract days if South. Works as a rough guide. A plant from 32 degrees latitude, like Malana for instance, wil finish here ( 42N) 20-30 days later than in India, where it’s harvested in mid to late September and thru October. So here, mid october thru November.
I’ve put a bit of thought into this info, which I read about around 5 years ago. The 2-3 degree rule isn’t always applicable. Once you are in tropical latitudes its always flowering cycle daylength. It might be a good thread topic. Many an outdoor grower has lost plants whose seeds came from packaging that said they would finish around a particular date only to discover they would not. The packaging is not inaccurate, but its only accurate for the latitude the genetics are used to growing in or have been bred in.
Supposedly in 7 generations of outdoor breeding plants will adjust to finish in the month they are familiar with. If i stick with Malana 7 years, it should finish in my area late September/ all of October, just like home. I will eventually know for sure if this is true or not.

12 Likes

Wow, out of likes but, this is incredibly useful info and makes a ton of sense.

5 Likes

Thats very different as you know. Hopefull one day we discover something Se Asian with frost tolerance. And will they grow and flower in those conditions or do they just survive?

7 Likes

They are in extreme survival mode then.
That means, they look beaten up, lame leaves, like no strenght in it.
Resinproduction is slowed down or stops compleetly…

BUT Seeds, those will still form , very slowly . Survialmode so to speak. Not looking pretty to watch.

8 Likes