The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

I doubt I’ll ever get to use it myself, but that is rather interesting… and actually, might apply to other epigenetic shifts as well, for indoor growers. I’ve read they shift fast, though the information I read said it could happen in as little as 4 generations, and that small changes might occur with each generation. It’d be interesting to see whether it’s a slow progression or sudden shift, and just how many generations it takes to adapt.

9 Likes

Greetings everyone…

Someone commented on a variety that has thorns, some root releases…
This is the Brazilian sativa. It exhibited this behavior in the guerrilla and in the vase.

I don’t remember who spoke, but the variety was Panama.

13 Likes

Those stories always make me grin. It’s fascinating how hardy sprouts can be, those were potted plants. They can hang on a few more days with the insulation of being planted in the ground. Three days of extreme temperatures seems to be the limits of tolerance for most cultivars. The more wild the cultivar, the more rugged it is.

8 Likes

I’ve been growing my uncle’s Afghan since 1998. Looks pretty damn similar to when I got it, but it is less leafy and now mold resistant. Took between 7 and 10 generations for this mold resistance. I had no way to check the males for mold resistance. Only the females. Took a long time. Some plants still rot, just a lot less of them than when they were given to me. Many times my favorites rotted.

16 Likes

Very cool! The double Panama can produce thorns on its roots on male plants according to Snowhigh.

15 Likes

Those sure are pretty I love the color

5 Likes

That plant thorn thing is so cool man.I never thought I’d see something like that in cannabis

6 Likes

So here’s a T/O

And a Oaxacan

And what is clearly a dwarfish pheno and what might be another, or just a weak sister…

Gonna start packing their bags :briefcase: tonight. 2 gal bags all around. Will be a while yet before transplanting but I’d better stay ahead of this. :joy:

15 Likes

I know that this is small. It is Oaxaca and is in a rock wool cube, under led. indoor.
she is at the 3-week mark. but i can tell this one love the life 19 hours under light and i think i may flip to flower. i was going to go for 5–6-week mark but i have a feeling this one is going to be a beast.
ive gave a baby feeding the other day, and she was really happy the next day, praying to the light god soaking up those spectrums. ill know more when ill flip though as time goes by. for now though for being so young and happy makes me very happy. could be a male or a female, either way, ill be happy with this magic.

19 Likes

You have the right outlook. Gratitude and cannabis travel well together. Those are great genetics, so it’s a win either way.

7 Likes

yes @RoryBorealis always, and yes i am a winner either way on this one.

5 Likes

I think I see a Silversides pheno…

4 Likes

Which one? :eyes:

3 Likes

@GREANDAL Your first oaxaca plant photo just above. Similar leaves when young. I think the big plant in post 153 was OSS.

4 Likes

Ooooo hope it’s female!

3 Likes

Is that first repotting? This bodes well, there are several others very similar. My chances of a female are pretty good.

3 Likes

Sounds like i transplanted into half gallon about that size, yes. First transplant. I sense a lady with that one

3 Likes

that’s interesting that you sprouted them on the surface like that. when I plant my seeds I only bury them partially.

is that soil or vermicompost?

4 Likes

Yes just sitting on the surface or barely pressed in, half the thickness of a seed. Just enough that they are wetted along with the worm castings.

I find it easier and generally more successful with them on the surface because I am more likely to catch them soon after they crack. If the root fully deploys and begins connecting with the compost it’s VERY easy to injure during planting. You want those first root hairs to find goodness and stay with it.

I planted these about 1”” deep in the cups as the soil is fairly loose. As you can see they erupted. :joy: Will bury as much stem as possible when I repot.

4 Likes

Double Panama Red

Flipped …17th November….today 11th of Dec

= 24 days since flip.

Four seeds germed…one not coming through yet

Some nice bud developing

14 Likes