The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

She really is beautiful. I love this wild expression of Oaxaca. One of these days I’ll grow one of these properly, trimming sucker shoots and lower branches. They grow so quickly on this pheno! You have to be available time wise when it happens and I have been too busy. Here she is on oct 27th…

In the last month the plant has dropped every one of its fan leaves( they fall off no matter what you do) and has easily doubled in size.

14 Likes

I randomly came across similar going back a good few years, I didnt know or understand what it was at the time. I honestly thought it was just a weird mutant and never bothered to clone it. It was in a pack of Alaskan Ice from Green house (embarrassed to admit I ran their stuff)

13 Likes

the oaxacan is looking great!

4 Likes

Neat plant.
How did it smoke?

4 Likes

@Upstate it was a nice soaring, energetic high. Not racey or paranoia inducing.

I made some hash with it, that was really special, came out white, with a slight grey tint, had the consistency of tacky gum at room temperatures.

Being Dutch breeder, their lineage description was scant at best, just listed as White Widow x Haze, guessing it came from the Haze side, but as far as I recall, White Widow has some Brazilian Landrace in its genetics.

Sorry for going off topic.

7 Likes

Hard to say what that pheno was from. I’d guess either Oaxaca or some Thai strain from the haze lineage. Sort of on topic😁
Greenhouse seeds is very tight lipped about actual genetics used. White widow for example, which flowers 9 weeks and is a Brazilian/Indian hybrid. Only one problem…neither India nor Brazil have a landrace that flowers so quickly, with the possible exception of Kashmir. However, Greenhouse says a Southern Indian Indica was used…:rofl::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::rofl::rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::joy:

9 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah GHS prob dont even know the lineage themselves, just jacked someone elses work again.

3 Likes

As long as it sounds good, and keeps those seed sales going… most of what’s out there is a polyhybrid of some sort anyway, as long as it’s stable it’s a cut above the rest. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@Upstate @lefthandseeds

Double Panama red.

19 days since the flip…still stretching strong…couple have started showing sex…and I’ve re potted a couple.definitely 1 male and one fem.

29 Likes

I love the flag. Nice touch! The plants all look great. They are surely stretching and will be Another 5+ weeks.
The frosty plants produce early resin. Another few weeks and you’ll know.

6 Likes

They know. They just keep the lineage secret. The Indica lineage. Probably more like( Indian × Afghan) × ( Brazilian × Afghan). Still, its incredible smoke. A legend.
Can’t take that away from them. Whether its stable or not, I don’t know. It was originally released as an f1 hybrid. It would be unlike Arjan to sell anything that could be replicated by inbreeding.

9 Likes

I always get to read in this thread and learn. I read through post and look at the pictures in awe in this magical medicine from central America.
I love all cannabis variety and like all I search and grow through many strains looking and studying
the plants and most importantly, what strains i need to try to grow.

I am honored to have started one Oaxaca seed in hopes of a female, but the male would be useful as well.
I shall see how this one goes as it is indoor and under led lighting in rockwool cubes.
I plan to veg this Oaxacan for 5-6 weeks to get a root system.
i will flower it under 12/12 and i will wait and see
until then i will smoke and update every so often, but if it is a female then you will see sexy bud shots. if it is a male well you will see some gold.
words can not thank @Upstate for the seed of Oaxaca as ive been wanting to grow this out. What i see only at the 2nd week is a nice plant that loves being alive. I will be the sacred care taker of such until the end. I am very grateful to finally post saying i have a central American land race and i hope that with the magical strain will meet the approval of the fine growers in this thread.
(Just really stoked on this strain)

9 Likes

for what it is worth - White widow was a combo of brazilian mango rosa (long flowering sativa) with a southern indian indica (not common today) ; apparently that is how the flowering time came down…

3 Likes

As to where Colombian strains came from remains a mystery. Several genetic tests show a relationship or a derivation with or from SE Asian strains. The phenotypes of late blooming, thin leaves and small seeds all support this. Certainly there were several early strains that diverged after being grown in different parts of Colombia. The guys that I conversed with in Colombia that are more or less my age (old hippie age) that were there in the 1970s when this stuff was all being grown and bricked for export say that Punto Rojo and Punta Roja are related, and that Punta Roja and Panama Red were pretty much the same. As stated, Panama used to be a part of Colombia. But there is still no road between Panama and Colombia. The Pan American road dies out in the jungle between them.

I am not sure about inter-Colombia hybrids. I believe that it is far more likely that these Colombian strains changed by adapting to local climates. And like in Mexico, they were grown in isolated areas. The Catholic church frowns on marijuana use (its still a sin!), and as such it was always a back room thing. Cannabis adapts rapidly to new growing conditions. As noted by many in as little as 4 generations. For this to happen so fast it is not genetic mutation, as that happens much slower over centuries. Thus it can only be due to gene switching. Some genes switch on and off other genes depending on exposure during growth. Colombia has a zillion micro climates. The terrain there is extreme. So since Cannabis adapts rapidly to local extremes, new pheno strains emerged. Likely from the same source strains.

No photos posted here. Sorry. I have many photos, but posting them here is a PITA. Also seed companies like to steal them to peddle their fake crosses as old landraces. Also Colombian strains as a rule are not so pretty. They are more sketchy with thin leaves, many which are single lobed. Some are runts with wire thin leaves. Some have purple stems, some green. Similarly the South African and SE Asian landraces are not the most photogenic. As say compared to Kona Gold, Maui Waui, or Durban Poison which are all hybrids. Those strains are pretty to look at as they ripen.

12 Likes

GHS used a different set of genetic parents to produce (and sell) what they call White Widow now. But that is not the original WW. Scott Blakey developed the original WW when he was part of GHS. He sold his share of GHS off to Arjan, taking his breeders with him when he left. After that Arjan’s GHS breeders came up with a new breed with that same name. Scott later re-bred those original parents and he now calls it Black Widow. They can be had through MrNice Seeds. MrNice was a collaboration between Scott and Howard Marks, and to a lesser extent included Nevil Shoenmakers.

As for the origin of original WW and the newer sibling Black Widow, according to Scott (AKA: Shantibaba), that is a cross of Brazilian Manga Rosa and a South Indian Kerala Ganja. The hybrid was Brazil x Kerala. I grew original WW many years ago now, and it had a flood of trichomes on mid season blooming plants. That being they finish in early to mid October outdoors here in the PNW. I am not sure about the origins of any of the Brazilian strains. They were and are very elusive. Back in the day I never saw any Brazilian weed. I did see some south India ganja though, and man that stuff was THE most potent weed I ever smoked. To this day. Wham! One hit and you were gone. Brain freeze.

Anyway, as to the development, breeding, name etc. of WW, forget GHS. This is straight from the boca de caballo:

12 Likes

Thats why i was laughing. Manga Rosa flowers 18-26 weeks. South Indians are ALL sativas and also flower around 18-26 weeks( back when White Widow was made. Modern Kerala and Sheelawathi ( the same really) flower a bit quicker…say 15 weeks or so.) There are no South Indian “Indicas”. To get a nine week hybrid requires that you breed with something that flowers 9 weeks…Afghani or Pakistani most likely. The “forgotten” ingredients. I’m not being a smart ass. They had me fooled for a loooong time!

I’m sure he used the heirloom Manga Rosa, made in the 70’s with Afghani/pakistani genetics and landrace Manga Rosa. This is a short flowering variety, around 10-14 weeks with most closer to 10 weeks now and is the Manga Rosa available widely in Brazil today. Most Brazilians think this is the famous landrace…it isn’t. My Brazilian friends can still get this easily but are afraid to mail seed. Its the same story with Bahia Blackhead. It used to be long flowering, but now has been largely hybridized. Still good smoke. I have seed left if someone wants to try it. 10-14 weeks. I saved seed from the 14 weeker.

Its on my “to do” list.

11 Likes

FFS …Another male…checked today…that’s 2 fem and 3 males so far…one I’m not sure of yet,but it’s looking like a male.

Just my luck …when I done LH,s Panama Haze got three males out of four…but the smoke was exellent…The two fem plants look good…so we go forward.

Last pic …is one of the fems.

Ps…I’ve just soaked four beans …so we go again.

15 Likes

Surprised you got so many males. I had 2 of 9. Maybe this next batch you’ll get more females. Hope so!

8 Likes

It’s not a problem…It’s just the way it goes…The two fem are fine healthy plants…and the four males are real strong looking males, we have established that so far the strain is pretty stable…from …Germ to sexing…it’s went ok.

So we forward on…

As they say

Top tip

: “Only do it if you love it and never, ever give up – which you can’t when you love it.”

Paz

6 Likes

Day 22

17 Likes