The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Been eying that bud for a while now. It winked at me and that was it. I’m easy I guess.

Yes, this. Expected to wait a few more minutes but by the second exhale I felt it come on. Not a coincidence I quit babbling on here! The living room is spotless and I repaired half a dozen things. I might have dug a ditch if there wasn’t snow on the ground.

The seeds in here were all finished but they were set early on so I could chop her immediately I suppose but I’m going to give her at least one more week. Still new flowers coming and I’m not afraid of this EVER getting sleepy or narcotic.

I came across that conversation last night actually.

My personal feeling is S and A are different manifestations of traits brought about by environment, hard to argue against that if we accept the genomic information. That’s the first soft spot in the argument and I need to read up on that. To say there’s no difference between the effects is too subjective to argue BUT have they ever had something like this? I smoke through the day, every day and have for years. I enjoy hybrids. We had better if we want much of anything right? :joy: I have velvet hammers to put the wife to sleep, cbd for pain we both use and a host of pseudo sativa. I’m the definitive saturated user. The Oaxaca cut right through that and lit me up like I was behind the bushes in high school.

11 Likes

Yup. Sure does!

6 Likes

Acapulco gold. She smells good. Sticky. Definitely going to be better. Ways to go still. I leaned this branch out the 1000w hoping for better pic. Seedless colas

she is officially fattening up a bit and still got white pistils. Few reds but still going strong.

17 Likes

Old silver tie has been in the jar well over a week or more. The smell has gone down from somewhat overwhelming repulsive open faced roast beef and gravy sort of loud chili powder smelling to now I’m getting more butterscotch candy as it’s fully dried out. It has a really nice interesting smell at this time in the dry out jarring stage. Well
Worth experiencing.

8 Likes

are you breeder or biologist? i just thought it.

3 Likes

I can’t call myself a breeder. Yet. I have been through undergrad biology and botany. I do have horticultural experience with other plants. I have helped establish vineyards in unfortunate places for grapes. :joy: I have returning memories of the collegiate organic chemistry and genetics series I suffered through as a youth.

9 Likes

now i know where your seemingly firm believe in adaptation comes from.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it firm. I’m open to ideas.

very interesting job, tring to change enviroment so the vines grow, wich naturally rather grow on Limestone rich grounds.

sorry didnt want to imply your personal views. yes alot unknowns are in biology, and genetical history (evolution).

so, could you probably tell us a bit more what points thowards enviroments influence (adaptation) ? Just if you LIKE. no need to

1 Like

No need! You reflect what I say, I learn how to better say it. I’m not easily offended.

I will surely throw my hat in the ring when I’m ready. A feeling is not yet a theory. :joy: when everyone has a knife in their pocket you want yours sharp right?

3 Likes

I will go as far as to say what you have said about the specialness of true tripweed resonates with me. There is truth in there.

What is so difficult in my mind with the subject is we’re trying to reconcile two open ended systems, the plant and us. Industrial chemical analysis tells you how much of each thing looked for is present. Organic molecules are enormous and varied. The same molecule can often appear in different shapes depending on accompanying molecules. Then our own metabolism deals with them uniquely as individuals.

Yes, my experience with grapes informs my opinion. They are considerably different but they are almost a real time litmus test for mineral takeup.

And we must abandon hubris to learn about plants I feel. The thing we want from the plant is not intended for us by it, it is a defense mechanism. It makes sense that if the plant doesn’t experience it’s evolutionary environment it won’t generate the same defensive array. The truncation of genetic possibilities through hybridization in my mind push the gold chip out of the pot.

Mathematically the best for each of us lightning in a bottle.

6 Likes

BIOLOGICAL STUFF

of corse. i never want to etablish any theory , it must be checked

Im of the impression that most people seem to have read Robert Clarkes classification… and thats it. Few have read about Landrace theories and studies. And Adaptation, or on the other hand evolutionary change of the Lifeform, is just a theory thats actually very far spread in biologists minds. doesent mean its true cause many tell it. Im never claiming anything.

But listen: ive read so much… i started ut hunting the forums for the trippyes best reports to find the unknown cultivar that made me once trip.
so , i found two interesting things, just based on my APPROACH, wich was to group and identify trippy weed, based on smokereports.
1: specific Landrace regions produce very distinct features, such as “a coffe” “an active” high in Africa… those words appeared quiet often , like in 40 percent of African smokereports.
Same is true for SE Asian to a degree, wich produces “flying sensations” , the other wordings are quiet diverse, but: “spiritual experience” ,“awareness” , thats roundabout similar, thats SE Asian.

2: there are like 3 centers where the TRIPPYEST smokereports came from: Congo, Middleamerica , SE Asia… and those are all on the same latitude.
infact you can see a pattern /correlation between equatorial belt and tripweed.

So i can see a certain correlation between Location, and effect. And trust me, i did not start with the assumtion of adaptation, i was the most open i could be, cause i wanted my hunt to be fruitfull and ffind the trippyest.

Now for the assumtions: for point 1: one could also explain this by Landraces were often “a distinct COMPOSITION of foreign Genes” . and this composition is widesporead around said locations… So, no adaptation needed.

But Point 2: thats a bit different, we find that in a certain Climate the trippyest was found. There are of corse thousand other explonations, but one easy explonation is adaptation/or if you want evolutionary change of the Species in this region.

So, i have my very open minded info, and its my open minded reading of smokereports . Thats all. And what theory we apply to it, thats open for discussion, im NOT here to claim things. but inform, and peoples never talk about this actually very widespread “feeling” of adaptation, wich is nurmber one "feeling " or theory among biologists, no?
Its pretty mayor, and people never mentioned it before really. I had to find this explonation in my few reads in biology books, dont know if theyre outdated… Its not that i read this once, and now im stuck in mind.
Also, there are people “neutralizing enviroment”. yes, they neutralize enviroment, so it doesent influence the selective Choice of the growers. So, some people seem firm in this theory, so firm that they spend 10000s dollars to neutralize env.
There was a report about this on a small cannabis forum

are they compleetly mistacken? who knows. absolutely possible.

4 Likes

I disagree with the opinion that thc/trichomes are a plant’s defense mechanism. Couldn’t it be an attractant? Certain flowers, such as SweetTooth#3/C-99, seem to attract more insects than others.

3 Likes

What you posit is possible I agree. It’s also possible the fauna are sufficiently different in the natural location of a wild plant they are repelled. Once you hybridize that thread is gone I think.

2 Likes

Please do not think I apply hubris to you, it is my philosophy.

I agree there must be a correlation like what you describe. We must find the morphological thread I think. We know the answer but must ask the right questions.

I think your approach is as valid as any and more natural perhaps than mine.

1 Like

im so open to any theory. at first it was me making graphs of different landraces merging together, and hence creating unique constellations.

Then somebody didnt like it… i turned thowards: i dont know shit. lol

Then came people with their omnipresent mendel laws to try to describe me “the Landraces”… i got a breeze of “steering traits thowards” or “heightening and lowering traists”…
but i was unhappy, cause some talked of numbers beeing important , and “open pollination” beeing all and everything… Need of 2000 plants minimum.

I challenged these mendel guys and said, man, and where is the explonation of inbreeding depression… Kind of: tell me more, i need anwsers for Landraces.

Anyway, i found a few small Landrace studies, still pointing out “the best landrace Lines are all inbreed”…

those are the raw Points all listed in this and previous Post, that i found on my long research… Probably i forgot some, and i could go on forever…

but the last anektote: " the best landrace lines are all inbreed" is interesting…

does it mean the more selective pressure the better?

No, i understood it as your apeal to stay openminded ! thats a positive thing

3 Likes

If there were really just four replies and there are some left … I’d love some. :seedling:

1 Like

why i fill the thread with all this stuff… because we need to know what were dooing. Mendel Laws doesent preserve your genetics… as far as im concerned.

Inbreeding depression and adaptation MAY kill all our lines, over time.

I open a thread, how should i even call it… Biological study of Landraces?

2 Likes

A breeze that blows up the skirt until you turn it around. If you breed towards something you’re breeding away from other things. Some hubris lies here, when we assume what are looking at is what we want it to be. My profession is not in the weed trade and I have no skin in that game so I don’t feel that sort of need to quash thought or obfuscate. If I bother to say something concrete I have thought about it for a while.

But I understand what motivates that behavior.

4 Likes

Truly their problem. It’s an idea :bulb:

2 Likes