The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

does Robert clarke s Classification sound good to you guys?

when i read this book (only some parts till i fell asleep) , its way to unreadable for me basically. he goes indica, sativa, indica drugcultivar ., sativa hemcultivar… spread at south india, spread SE Asia, and i never find a good summary. i think he just presents it very very raw, and i never got much conclusion.

so, i actually cant say if his book is good, cause the raw-sheer amount of data without summary had me lost in translation

2 Likes

Sounds like something I should read.

1 Like

but like said, everyone reads this, and imho, you must be on a certain level to make any conclusion. it gave me close to nothing, cause its so mega raw… I can read complex things, but i cant handle such raw stuff without any writingstructure … i dont think many overgrowers have ever read the full book

I advice “principles of plant breeding- secound edition” .
Its about landraces in the first part. have still to read a big chunk of it.

2 Likes

Another aspect of that is by producing an attractant you can create an ideal place for predator insects and actually draw them to you. My big sativa bushes outside were home to several generations of spiders during the spring and summer. By all rights aphids and leafhoppers could have trashed them but once the spiders were established I could watch things buzz in and die within minutes if not moments. It actually makes me smile to find empty egg sacs when I break it down. lol

4 Likes

Yes the aroma a flavor can be an attractant.
But you have to understand what it is that the plant is trying to attract.
Are plants trying to attract insects to destroy itself? I think not.
After seed maturity wound be the best time to attract a seed spreader. Before then, it would only cause in harm so a defense mechanism would be at play during this time.
Are all animals and insects affected by thc? No. The animals that allow the seed to pass through their digestive system unharmed are more than likely unaffected by thc. Also the reason there is very little thc in the seeds.
Also animals are really smart. They know when to eat certain vegetation. Not many animals would risk tackling a budding cannabis plant unless it is unaffected by the cannabinoids.
A high animal is another animal dinner.
I see insects attacking the soil more than i see them attacking the plant. Insects like sugars, such as the starches that the roots are made of.
I see some insects that will readily feed in the fan leaves. The insects that I see trying to feed on the bud, I usually find them dead in a couple of days. Even the fungus gnats tend to avoid getting near the trichs. I’m sure this is not isolated to my plant.

5 Likes

The degradation of THC etc. at senescence would seem to support this idea.

3 Likes

It makes perfect sense. @GREANDAL

2 Likes

I use metaphor and analogy a lot talking about this subject. I do so as a shortcut to the idea about a relationship, both to save time and give an idea how I’m approaching it. Numbers are deceiving, downright useless to the point of muddying the issue without basis in a communicable construct.

Statistics can be useful used appropriately but can also lead us down the primrose path. Ask anyone who had to participate Macnamara’s dance macabre.

5 Likes

I agree with this. Calling what Mendel discovered a law is an unfortunate use of the word, used to add weight and make incontestable the premise. laws are mental constructs intended to restrain or limit behaviors. What it really is more like is an epiphany of cyclical behavior while seeking the divine in nature. It’s a truth but not the entire elephant.

2 Likes

Ramanoweed, I love your observations. I think there is something to your ideas about trip weed…indeed the equatorial belt seems to be the area that results most often with those effects. So, what is the reason? Altitude? Angle of light? Maybe a combination of poor soils, climate, light, etc are all required for the plant to express certain combinations of chemicals. I would note too that most often these are narrow leaf strains too…

3 Likes

The other factor that seems to always come up is that in each case the origin is the same. India. I believe the Mexicans have been traced to India on Phylos. And in Africa it was introduced hundreds if years ago through Indian trade. And SE Asia, same thing. Just a theory but it seems to fit.

1 Like

I read that trichomes are a defense mechanism against pests myself. All kinds of trichomes, not just those with heads.
Trichomes act as a thick hedge to harmful bugs, making it harder for the bugs to move up and around the plant. The closer to the material in need of the most protection( the flowers/seeds)the thicker the trichomes.
Terpenes attract pollinators. Flies, bees, beetles, other bugs, even birds(hummingbirds,)…probably people by now and I’m sure i forgot some.
In dry places like Afghanistan the native Highland Afghani plants have developed offensive terpenes because there is little vegetation and thus few bees, normally a main pollinator. As a substitute the plants attract flies and carrion eating beetles(pollinators)by producing all sorts of dead and decaying smells. Gross, but cool.

9 Likes

Possibly in Indonesia. Known as Sumatran tripping weed. Incredibly stiff penalties have prohibited people from collecting seed there. It’s close proximity to Thailand and other countries where trip weed has been found makes it a likely " mother" country of trippy effects. This landrace is named tripweed for a reason😁
Another quite distinct possibility is that feral jungle plants(maybe hermaphrodites too) contain the genetics we seek. Any breeding program that over the years has been bred for structure or yield would have inadvertantly been breeding away from trip effects( feral plants) since Vietnam War days. These feral jungle plants are probably much more rare than in the past. As more and more rural farmers learn about culling males and hermies, more and more feral pot is destroyed in the quest for a seedless product more suited to todays tastes. Who wants rogue pollen around their crop, especially from wild plants?
During the Vietnam War era a major monetary boost was to be had by anyone with grass to sell. At that time any grass was sellable. Even feral pot. Find a big patch growing wild…hack it down and bundle it up, hermies, males/ leaf/ stems and all to be made into Thai sticks. GI’s would be willing to buy them. Of course some sticks were from farmed pot, but you can bet there was a supply issue shortly after the war began and anything was sellable. That’s not the case today. Today feral plants have little value and the pot being grown for sale in the region in some cases barely resembles the pot of the past. Feral plant pollen rarely makes it to farmed patches these days.
I was told a couple years ago about Peruvian trip weed experience from a feral plant. Just like mushrooms. They still exist somewhere. We just have to get lucky.
Reports of tripweed have never been common with the exception of cannabis from Sumatra. I don’t even know anybody with genetics from Sumatra, nor have I ever seen it for sale

5 Likes

Have you seen this on Phylos? I haven’t been able to find any true Mexicans that have been tested. They are always hybridized. Even Robert Clarkes samples. Perhaps I haven’t punched in the proper keywords?
If old silversides were tested on phylos and the result said India I would believe it. It’s possible.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. I’m just going by what I was able to glean on the Vintage Mexican thread and other similar threads on IC Mag. The sativa gurus argue constantly but India really makes the most sense. Maybe it can never be proven, but does it really matter? I’m content just growing good herb and could care less about arguing fine points that cannot be known. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m thinking Mexican genetics came from somewhere other than or in addition to India, but we shall see someday. When I see contaminated samples on phylos I take the information with a grain of salt. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those guys over at icmag saw something I didn’t but what I am looking for is a sample that shows mostly landrace with a touch of skunk in it since skunk weed is in part Mexican.
Ancestry really doesn’t matter unless you’re into breeding or history and I happen to love both. With enough uncontaminated samples being tested we will eventually know our answer.

5 Likes

You got it brother. Hit me up

2 Likes

I’ve always disagreed with this part. If I start with only 10 plants and let these plant open pollinate each other and continue this process for many years I believe a healthy diverse population is possible. In my mind some land races have been started from a small Satchel of cannabis with seeds in it. Think about it. All Humanity descends from one woman and this has been tested with DNA. How come we aren’t all inbred?( where I live some are LOL)
I think inbreeding depression comes from small populations of plants breeding with small populations of related plants over and over. If I take those 10 original seeds, and every year I only grow 10 seeds from The Offspring of the previous generation I will run into problems by generation 5 or 6

8 Likes

I have to agree with that. It’s undeniable you’re more likely to find what you’re after in a larger selection but throwing out a hopeless number to most of us in a way intended to disqualify any opinion from lesser mortals is rather Mandarin.

3 Likes

what? i have only seen one probably tripreport from Sumatra. so im asking myselve where you found those. but ill stay on topic now.

4 Likes