The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

This is the one I just got finished growing

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy to be reading all this Panama info. Iā€™m vegging out a few and Iā€™m finding answers to some of the questions Iā€™ve been asking myself.
These are Double Panama from the co-op.

What are your thoughts on their structure @Upstate ?
And a couple of the Freakers Columbian Gold for comparison.

:v::canada:

15 Likes

Unfortunately Panama from Ace is some sort of hybridized strain. Not necessarily bad, but as far away from Panama Red as Skunk #1 is from Acapulco Gold or Colombian.

@420noob

Ace Hardware sells compost at $5 per cubic foot. It supposedly has an even nutrient ratio. .05 across the board. I have been adding it to my soil and I like it. I also quit using coco or peat based mixes. No real reason, except I am trying to get closer to nature and farming. These mixes are sold because coco and peat are light weight and shipping costs are a huge problem when talking about making money selling soil.

I am going back, old school, using local soils amended with compost. Like a farmer. These grow gurus can stick it where the sun donā€™t shine. I am getting better results at a fraction of the price of what these snake oil salesman are pushing. Two cubic foot of my raised bed mix is $20. Compost $5 a cubic foot. All organic fertilizer amended with myco as a top dressing for $10 per 4 lbs.

Works better than Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, Roots, etc.

11 Likes

Itā€™s really nice to see some of these grown. The smells were just epic. I only had one very long flowering plantā€¦ and it had the very jagged leaves. It doesnā€™t appear to have been dominant in the crossā€¦ Iā€™d say these are not going to stretch very much after you flip to twelve twelve. My plants were small and very easy to manage. They put out some excellent resin. 2 plants in particular were just amazing smelling. One thing you will find in Panama Red is absolutely intoxicating smell. I look forward to hearing about the potency once youā€™re all done too. It looked like a really good strainā€¦

5 Likes

I think it would be interesting to combine the vintage Panama Reds with the Gold/Red/browns of Thai/Laos

Bco Panama Red

RSC red Thai

4 Likes

Youā€™re doing a great work on thoseā€¦ Aplausos(1)

4 Likes

Thank you @George much appreciated!

Hey @Budderton not sure if you were planning to make any pure seed with those but I also grew a couple of those same Freakers CG but alas I got two males (in case you needed some pollen).

17 Likes

The Honduras plant is really pretty. I just noticed the branches, even down rather low, come out alternate each other rather than opposite each other. Does it start that way immediately?

4 Likes

Thanks for the offer @deeez99 but I think Iā€™m set on making crosses this round.(much to the chagrin of the purist) Iā€™ve got back ups of all mine so if I wanna dip back into them, I should have a male there.

2 Likes

No, itā€™s kinda hard to see I think because itā€™s gotten so large but it was topped at the 7th node and thatā€™s where it starts alternating. Below the 7th node the branches are all opposite of one another. But yes I agree sheā€™s quite the looker, one of my favs this round so far. Hope she smokes at good as she looks.

@Budderton Roger that! Just thought Iā€™d toss that option out there. Looking forward to see what combos you settle on :+1:

3 Likes

Walmarts here donā€™t sell promix Iā€™d be all over it bud. The only place is Lowes at $35 for 3 cu ft. I had been using the same 3 bags of ffof mixed with amendments for 3-4 grows :thinking: but now I have plants outside and that used up all my saved reused dirt.

1 Like

Looks alot like the Oaxacan x O79 that kaiki / Elchichas made around 2015 that I am finally reproducing this year;) Beans are coming soon for you Hermano Elchichasā€‹:+1::call_me_hand:

28 Likes

Or Mexican.Peru isnt really a country with a Cannabis culture, more coca among those Peruvian natives when compared to Mexico.

3 Likes

Any purple tones in this one?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a beauty. What is this one? Oaxaca Ɨ 79ā€¦or is it Oaxaca 79?
Ooh. You mean red snake parents?

3 Likes

IMG_20230410_201933_901

1970s 11000 feet Oaxaca

24 Likes

are you shure 11000 Feet (3500 Meters?) thats veery high.
so, is this where the short flowering comes from?
they might get snow there

1 Like

That would be interesting. Only 4 peaks in all of Oaxaca exceed 3,000M, and that doesnā€™t even appear to be a summit.

3 Likes

Looks like average height in the range somewhere around 8000 ft, so this does not refute the picture, but makes it quite conceivably accurate if not close enough. Either way, cool fā€™in picture man.

4 Likes

Yeah, if that caption is accurate, it probably wouldnā€™t even be very hard to figure out where it is.

1 Like