The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

yes, yesum said the short pheno of col72 was 13,5 weeks. This means a specualtion about impurity can be made ! but like herbgreen said, british hemphire and snowhigh too i would more or less trust. they havent outcrossed it

Santa Marta Gold buds 1970s HT

download - 2023-09-17T210401.871

29 Likes

If you are looking to search Icmag…Better off with google

Just add icmag to your search or any key work you know the thread is named after

Gets in there and locates things a lot more effectively…

1 Like

bongos drum softly in the distance…

I started 3 of @Old-Ron 's FBSC repro of snowhigh’s Colombian Gold last december, put them outside april 20th to reveg. I haven’t grown many sativas but it’s the most sativa plant I’ve laid eyes on in person.

very thin leaves, the only plant I’ve seen compete with it are my nanan bouclous. Super tall and vigorous, I had to top a male twice to make it branch out because the central stem just kept regrowing! The one female smelled exactly like my two acapulco gold’s did, but with a fainter aroma.

Smoke report will (hopefully :crossed_fingers:) come by november but boy is she a slow flowering one! The slowest in my garden, and it’s an el nino winter in california this year. Things are going to get wet and windy so we’re crossing fingers

15 Likes

I done old Ron’s Colombian gold last year…it on Part 1

Good luck…it’s worth it in the end.LOL

P J

11 Likes

Oaxacan x red snake budlets

Peshawar Afghani

Oaxacan taking her time

17 Likes

The '93 Mexican Allstar f2 clone dad. I think of this pheno as the Jurassic pheno, because the leaf shapes are more clearly old school Mexican than the more common pheno in the line. I always think of the pointy tapered leaflets as a classic Mexican trait. You don’t really see it in modern weed. For some reason this pheno only comes out in males in the f2 seeds and not very often. One of my goals this winter is to use this to make 1000s of f3 seeds with this and Motaco’s cut.

20 Likes

I feel that, based on my limited experience, this is a great description for how the Oaxaca grows… unhurried.

3 Likes

I was told it might be string of pearls pheno.:crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Is there some Indica in Ace’s Panama ?

1 Like

As long as big MOMMA( yes!) :grin: stays dark green, it’ll be OK. If the plant lightens in color, dump it out of the pot and go easier on food/ mix in seedling mix to cut the soil.
Everything is looking really good. Glad they are starting flowering…and female.
This is why I get suspicious about any Oaxaca strain out there that finishes in October. This one doesn’t even START flowering until the end of September. Could it be made to finish earlier here? Sure. But not right out of the Mexican brickweed, it wouldn’t. It would take lots of breeding at its new locale.

3 Likes

Yes there is. One of the more modern lines used in its making was known or suspected to be contaminated by Indica genetics.
With that said, the famous Panama Red of hippie lore, may also have always been a hybrid.

6 Likes

Some extra greasy goodness coming your way! I love those pointy buds!

3 Likes

Did you see the pictures in hempire’s thread? The only grow pictures look like it was outcrossed to some indica, even Nevil pointed it out

1 Like

What leads you to believe that Panama Red was always a hybrid with indica genetics?

1 Like

Yes - it grew short like an indica and had dense (ish) flower, not totally brick PGR afghan dense but dense enough where i don’t see how it would be surviving in a wet climate naturally (the only saving grace were the nice aromas reminiscent of the punto rojo)

4 Likes

I haven’t grown one without indica in it yet. I’d bet my left nut there’s indica in there.( I’m partial to the one on the right🤣) Have grown Ace, SnowHigh Double Panama and now 1971 hippie cannabis genetics Panama Red. All contain Indica.
There is a Panama landrace as well, the 1974 red cross Panama is one, but it’s likely that the bulk of what was known to hippies as Panama Red was from a Sativa_ Indica hybrid. @Who Used to belong to the coast guard and spent time down in Panama, confiscating weed. According to him by 1979 the Panama Red buds were rock hard. What I have from nineteen seventy one is a mix of semi solid and fluffy phenos. The old Jungle Panama, a likely lowland Punto Rojo, had all fluffy buds.
The 74 Red cross panama flowering time was up to 26 weeks, with some fast plants going 20 weeks. The.71 is the sativa dominate early hybrid, the Ace is more Indica.
There seems to be a progression from fluffy bud long flowers early on, to sativa indica hybrid type by the early 70’s and finally indica/sativa hybrid type by 1979.
Except for the seventy four I am done growing different Panama strains. If you seek the landrace, you are looking for the 1974 red cross panama, only available thru collectors. That’s the only pure one I’ll vouch for.

Lack of stretch during flower. Whether the Red Cross Panama Is Panama red or just Panama I don’t know…

12 Likes

Recently we read that Santa Marta Colombian may have always had afghan in it… Which would have gotten there From some parke davis breeding. I don’t claim to know either way… But I could believe panama red came about during the same breeding programs

4 Likes

Many of the smoke reports on pan-red (including dj short) seem to be about a hybrid, judging by the effects…

3 Likes

yes i think the pics of British Hemphire looked indica-ish kindof.
hippie cannabis genetics, he has a lets say relatively thin 70s columbian line with very thin leaves and structure, buds are fluffy buds with a certain size tho… i think thats a good one, veery good.

for me british hemphires line looks good to in therms of look (and suspected effect), but yeah, its a bit thicker

1 Like