The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

It’s a beneficial mushroom. Helps with gut health, antioxidants and with some cancer

8 Likes

@Bobgrows If unable to get Turkey Tails. Check out Fungiperfecti from Paul Stamets.
He has turkey tail capsules and bunch of other great beneficial mushroom products.

Log plugs as well if you want to grow them in a log in your yard. Unfortunately, I just checked the turkey tails plugs and they are out of stock. But now it’s on your radar for the future.

6 Likes

Thank you ! I’ll definitely keep an eye out! :pray:

4 Likes

Apparently it’s real common in NY. When I go out ginseng hunting( shangin) I’ll find some for you.

7 Likes

Thank you so very much! I’ll make you tincture with them as well! :pray:

3 Likes

Oxacan x choc rain.

Flipped today at 60 days …in the greenhouse now settling in.

P J

22 Likes

First preflowers on the early sowings of Mountain Gold, Verde Limon, Redwood haze(with no haze in there?), Purple Satellite x UEL, UEL x Mextiza and Mextiza S1. The sowing a month later has no signs yet. Amazing the difference in a month of growth. Cuts of the most narrow leaf and vigorous Mextiza taken so far. I don’t overwinter/don’t grow indoors anymore. All outdoors at 53N. Keeps me on my toes.

Selecting the SMCG sativa side of UEL, narrow leaves, cedar/pine/conifer/lemon. UEL has an early flowering trigger and also rapid flowering (6-7wks) and finishes late Sept here. Is proving great in crosses to longer flowering sativas, and for northern growers. Plenty of seeds here to trade… (I’m new here, but not new to growing)

Nice to read that people are talking about and using herbal medicine and growing food, we do a lot of that here…

Also really nice to read about cedar/wood and incense terps, some of my favourite for effects.

Happy solstice!

10 Likes

That’ll make a hefty harvest from the looks of it. How tall are they now? Looking good!

3 Likes

Welcome to the thread. You’re way up there eh? You must have 18 hrs of light right now? I loved working just below the 50th. Work from 6 to 9 and still time to enjoy the sunrise and sunset. Of course the days grow short very quickly after August. It’s a scramble.

5 Likes

Cheers Upstate, I’ve enjoyed reading your outdoor methods, and that you select for frost hardyness. There’s still a bright sky looking north at 23.30, first light about 4.00. Only in from the slug run last night at 1 in the morning. Yes, big difference from Aug to end of Sept - 12/12 at equinox. Frost free season is usually up to early Nov, but there’s very little heat then.

Mextiza is surprisingly able to produce the potency, terpenes and resin with such little heat at the end of Oct. The rapidly reducing light hours help finish up sativas quickly - a friend has a UEL x OHz line that finishes end Oct.

What latitude are you now? Was your Oaxacan finishing below the 50th?

Hello from Éire

8 Likes

@bonghopper Nice to hear Mextiza finishes so far North. That one is held In high regard. I’m surprised you’re frost free til November. You must be along the coast? Lowlands anyway. My guess is Vancouver or coastal/ river bottom British Columbia for frost free so late?
I’m at 42.5 latitude now. Here Oaxaca goes til late November if we had that long. Hudson Valley or Long Island is frost free that late most years, but I’m guaranteed frost free only in July. I’ve seen frost June 18th and August 29th. Tough climate. I’m naturally selecting for cold tolerance, because I pick what does the best here. This summer has been nearly all 60’s for high temps. I try to keep the frost off the pre harvest plants, but they all see temps in the low 30’s when they go outside in the morning late season. Then again, I intentionally leave the bottom branches of plants outside after harvest time to see what they’ll survive. They get frozen until they die. Oaxaca is a tough one, dying at 19-23 degrees.

8 Likes

Wow, Oaxaca is tough, does it show any purple? I have found plants that can turn purple to be tougher, but thats a bit general.
Aye, Mextiza is the most sativa dominant I’ve come across yet that has a cold tolerance for making potency. They’re S1’s from a short flowering selection, lots of variability, looking for less sedation than the clone, and septoria resistance - a must for here

Éire is Irish for Ireland ; )

6 Likes

Yeah the buds turn a mauve/ maroon color.

19 Likes

Welcome aboard @bonghopper

I think you may be the first Southern Irish person on here.

Couple of Jocks and more from the UK here.

Welcome

P J

7 Likes

Damn that is some nice looking tight buds. For some reason I’ve had it stuck in my head these long flowers are foing to be lower yielding with airy buds. Those buds do not look like that now I really can’t wait for mine to finish! Lol at week 3 above ground got a minute.

5 Likes

Hi

Did you get your seeds for your plants from Hybrid3?

P J

2 Likes

Aye indeed, the Verde Limon and the Redwood Haze as a freebie, they’re good quality seeds.

Hoping to match the female Mextizas with another Mex,

7 Likes

Thanks for the welcome

5 Likes

Hybridisation’s being going on in Mexico for 50+ years…

5 Likes

@bonghopper and probably longer. I think this particular Oaxaca is a pure one, but you can’t be 100% certain I suppose. It’s a 1970, so it should predate almost all modern contamination…ie BOEL or cartel breeding. I think the shorter Oaxaca phenos ( which can still flower 20 weeks on occasion)come from Lebanese genetics, which began coming into Mexico thru the Yucatan in the 1830’s with Lebanese immigrants. These immigrants made their way over into Guerrero, and to a lesser extent, Oaxaca. In my mind, the cedar smells and the Red hair phenos come from Genetics brought by these immigrants. Medicinal plants were specifically mentioned as being one of the things these immigrants brought with them .
Pakistani Genetics were also introduced into Mexico long ago, and to me, the old Zacatecas looks Pakistani. A year ago I’d have called contamination, but now I’m rethinking things. Mexico is a melting pot of genetics from all over. The Philippines and China are two other sources from the days of the silver and gold mining, with Manila being the port of choice for re equipping, and China the ultimate destination for much of the silver.
So now I go by flowering time and the look of the plants. If you see something completely different pop out of later generations, it’s probably from recent outcrossing. But, if the phenotypes and flowering time are uniform, along with smells and tastes, you’re probably dealing with something older. Heirloom, at least. Maybe landrace.

15 Likes