The quality of Test Growers from a Seed Breeder’s perspective

The title says it all, pretty much.

What do you, the Seed Breeders sending test strains out to the Test Growers, have to say?

What do Test Growers do that bothers you the most?

What is your definition of the perfect Test Grower?

4 Likes

I was hoping to at least get some form of a response. I can understand not wanting to talk about bad experiences with test growers, I guess. But I think some people might benefit from hearing your perspectives on what the perfect test grower would be like.

I’ll bite even though I’m not a breeder.

I’ve seen droves of people who can’t even follow basic instructions beg to be a tester.

I’ve seen people get accepted as a tester and never once post an update or grow using said beans.

I’ve seen people steal said testers and cross them with other strains and take all the credit.

I’ve seen some shit, but I’ve also seen some testers really shine.

9 Likes

I am already a post-a-holic, so posting is easy for me.

Involved in my first test run currently

I am enjoying the group thing.

10 Likes

I’m working on my third test. From a testers perspective, it can be difficult. Everyone has a different requirement, you have to read what they want.

From a breeders perspective (limited), testing is expensive, not just the seeds, but the shipping, the time to answer questions. In return they get to collect results, smoke reports, and see how the line will perform under a variety of conditions.

6 Likes

Using the testers to make your own cross and not giving credit is detestable.

Not following basic instructions and not posting an update on your test grow is pretty shitty too.

I’d like to see good Test Growers called out and recognized.

2 Likes

What are the difficult requirements to meet?

1 Like

Certain things may be required, such as weekly updates. Different breeders have different requirements. One encouraged making seeds, most don’t. A tester has to read carefully what is expected of them.

5 Likes

Now that [this thread] (List of reliable tester persons) has caused some controversy…anyone want to give some input here?

I am no breeder, also no tester, but will try to comment anyway.

I think the breeder will look for testers with distinct characteristics, with some minimum experience growing (normally).

Distinct growing methods, general environment differences are important too (temperature, lights, humidity, etc).
The tester shoud be able to comunicate well, report frequently if possible with good key pics.

The idea is for the tester to be able to open a window for the breeder, so he can look how his strain goes at his environment/style. Some times the breeder will ask for specific things, and be able to provide the breeder this open window with good comunication and information is the key to be a good tester imho.

It is not easy, someday I will love to do it, I just need one more grow for some sedative strain and then I will be up for grabs if anyone want it, as I grow mostly for my wife and we have enough weed for years, all vaccum sealed at the freezer :blush:

3 Likes

the main thing bothering in sending away testers is the shipping, especially from a fuckedup place like where I am…
local testers are much easyer and economic to deal with… remote/web testers are for sure more variegated as grow conditions, etc.
That said, I personally always try to have a good half of low level/bad/unskilled growers in the tester group as I do cross mainly to improve the frame/resistance on strains that lack that but are otherwise good as of smell/taste/high, so the test plants vigor and survival skills are what I need more to see… while a good grower will show me the outcome in a quasi perfect environment.
if the ppl testing doesn’t post problems (as a lot posts just when everything is ok) thinking to “help” the breeder, in most cases its the opposite as they mask existing behaviors we could have been expecting.
just my 2 €¢ ( worth practically nothing, lol )
DS

4 Likes

Me nuff said ha ha i crack myself up.

I’m happy you are happy then…

Someone got high on something someone said.

2 Likes