What Do You Expect from Testers?

I see a lot of this, seeking testers, have been approached and grown for some at their request. My question is, what would one like to see? A full grow journal? Bi-weekly report and pics? Finished product and pics?
Well, in my experience, I have seen those requesting stating, ‘starts May 15th.’ That’s a month too late for us here in the North. I pop my beans in April, preferably by the 15th. One more observation, the finished smoke won’t be properly cured until December, as we often (try to) finish growing and begin curing at the end of October. So giving a full report you’re looking at least 9 months. One would, to be diligent, need to consume some of the finished medicine, and perhaps share with a couple friends for their opinion, in order to give a complete, honest report.
I know I’m new here, and I don’t expect any offers to be a tester from this thread. I am just curious what elements and aspects would make one a good or great tester. Expectations. Seems they make the world go round. Thanks for any input!

15 Likes

The more restrictions you place the fewer testers you will find. Some people have insane demands.

“Please grow soon” is as far as you want to go IMO “and please provide pics.”

:+1:

17 Likes

agreed. its unreasonable to expect biweekly updates, especially when nothing is happening. id expect a few photos along the way but would try and structure it as loosely as possible. youll get alot more responses. i dont have enough time to document my own projects twice a week let alone someone elses

7 Likes

Speaking of testers, worth mentioning that this is open, for a breeder out of Maine that would probably have good stuff for your next outdoor season, he’ll understand the Northeastern schedule. I tested for him this past round and the expectations were just that I post some regular updates in that thread every two or three weeks, since I wasn’t journaling it separately. I feel the same about curing before judging buds, and said so, I’m currently holding off on the final smoke report until they have a few months under their belt.

9 Likes

I know I feel bad when shit comes up that makes me put off running em, but that’s just life sometimes.

4 Likes

Honesty about both your intentions, and you subsequent experiences.

As long as you are honest, the breeder in question can decide if you are the right person for the bean.

:robot:

4 Likes

I’ve offered the moon. For a few pics and a very opinionated smoke report. I sent out sets of seeds about 8 times and nothing. Ad one guy is growing it in a journal under a different strain name. Now that is a real specimen of a human. I gave him 10 fems of Gorilla Girl as partial payment when I sent him a 10 pack of the strain to test. I was going to let him have more seeds when he finished. I would of let him have more than he imagined. Some people! I wish I sent him CBD​:joy::rofl::joy:, that would be hilarious.

3 Likes

i’ve had a couple tester threads for the crosses i’ve made, one just started. I would be happy to get like 2 updates and a final shot of the buds/smoke report, but that’s up to the testers. some people are responding very frequently and i can’t complain about that but i don’t expect it. I initially started with stricter guidelines ( start time etc) but i realize not everyone can start them right away and not everyone feels comfortable posting updates and whatnot. i’m just happy people are growing my crosses. i’m trying to loosen the guidelines and offer seeds to some people that didn’t qualify 100 percent, start time etc. so we’ll see how it goes. i’m trying to find more testers, and i only ask them to answer three questions, (why do you want them?, when can you start them? and where are you from? (logistics). i think more people will sign up once they see how some of these testers grow. i’ve arranged for seeds to be distributed by the kind @DougDawson in canada/elsewhere so big thanks to him. i hope this helps.

10 Likes

This right here.

Not to be a dick but my footprint is very valuable space.

13 Likes

How bout growing the shit out of over 200 strains In
Less than 5 years
Prolly 250 or more total
And showing each and every one lol
True story.
I’m done testing though
It’s cool and all but my
Portfolio requires stability
Over and over again.

1 Like

Real OG shit

2 Likes

Not to be a dick but my footprint is very valuable space.

I totally get this. I always feel bad when buddies want to give me cuts or test seeds and I just don’t have the spare space to accommodate. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks to all for your responses! It seems my presumption is correct, which is basically take your time, do it right, and be completely honest about not only the results, but what ones capabilities are to fulfill such an obligation. That said, sorry I couldn’t respond sooner, as I am new and had limited posting abilities. Thankfully, I am back and can continue to post and check out the site more intimately.
Peace

2 Likes

I was picked to be a tester when I was brand new. I was picked because I was. It was so fun and a great grow. I don’t think it was continued but I really loved doing it along with some awesome growers he.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

For that reason I only offered fire or expected fire. So far everybody took the seeds and disappeared.

Well they shouldn’t just take your seeds that’s not cool my comment is more one of entitlement.

1 Like

I gift a lot so it’s their mistake. But I’ve tired of shipping genetics and will refrain. I was only wanting their opinions of what I think is epic fire. A public reality check. I designed machines before and watching how people actually try to operate things is an eye opener. Totally open people are valuable for their opinions. The same applies to weed genetics. There’s only two kinds of weed, the WOW and the rest.

2 Likes

IMO, you should test the seeds yourself, foremost… If the seeds grow great in your environment, its time to test in alot of different environments.
Here’s where testers are great. So how ill choose testers are based on the grow setup and what I expect are a final statement if they would grow it again and if not, why. Nothing else is important tbh.

Imo testers can be a good thing if you are about to sell the beans. But if your are just chucking along and crossing stuff, you should really grow them yourself. Also, ive noticed over the years that if you got pics to show of your finished crosses. You’ll end up with better testers. It will also prove that you have actually put some time, thought and energy into the actual cross.

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

-Push that big green button and hold it for two seconds, the thing will happen.
—Hey this is a POS. I pushed it for half a second and nothing happened, so I had to start adjusting sensors. Now it’s on fire. I want my old one back that I’ve complained about for 10 years.
-Just hold it for two seconds…
—And I needed to bang it with a hammer a lot too

2 Likes

I barely know how to work my Coffee machine.

4 Likes