General Ethics FAQ

@50State, @GrowHard, @toastyjakes, @LemonadeJoe @MomOnTheRun

Re: “the code”:
Some of this stuff is intuitive and some of it isn’t. For newbies like me it would be extremely useful to have a FAQ/Wiki about ethics and proper behavior. Not rules so much as philosophy. Things like:

• Expectations for testers
  • Pollen in populated outdoor grows
  • Selling seeds of a work in progress
  • Revealing herms in lineage or current crop
  • Sharing breeder info
  • Dealing with trades/buys/gifts gone bad
  • naming, linking to and linking back from outside forums
  • Treatment of sponsor/vendors foreign and domestic.
  • Editing Wikis… Come at me, Growboys!

Some stuff is documented (pming seed begs, DOXing,) some is common sense (checking facts before repeating gossip or 2nd hand criticism) but some things only seem to be learn able by making, or watching others make, mistakes.
Be great to learn from an FAQ.

5 Likes

You basically have all the rules there apart from the extended racial hammer. I agree a rules faq would be useful but there aren’t really many rules around here which I do like but sometimes I will say what’s against rules and isn’t can be a fine line depending on the level of rudeness you portray from the get go but them be some funky questions like why would there be a rule about revealing herms in a line that’s a choice thing but if it’s a breeder trying to sell seeds and they aren’t being truthful with customers spending their money then they deserve removing from OG.

Also do not see why trades/purchases gone wrong would have much to actually do with OG they don’t oversee every trade or guarantee anything. Also 80% of the people tagged aren’t admins so why would they be able to tell you why there is no current FAQ?

8 Likes

@50State and @GrowHard commented recently on “The Code” re testers.
I would like to know, before growing something out (freebie or otherwise) if its sibs/parents were herm prone.
Ethics are not quite “rules.” Perhaps a subtle distinction. Blurry rather than fine lines.

@Explorer

10 Likes

From the perspective of OG, many of those thoughts could be better served as questions to the overall community. Some of which may have been already answered. Opinions, of course, will vary in significantly in some cases. If someone thinks you are about to get involved in something unethcial, the community will most certainly let you know :dizzy_face:.

The “rules” on OG are more focused on the general behavior between the community members, whether posts are on topic, no illicit finished product, and whether threads are somewhere around the PG-13 range. OG tries to avoids getting involved with personal agreements, trades, or deals. If a member is engaged to deceive or misinform (being unethical in that way), the mods may step in.

As far as linking to outside sources, this has been traditionally allowed. Non-commercial linking. We can’t claim OG has all the answers. Yet :wink:

18 Likes

I’ve noticed people often use the phrase “another site” rather than linking.
I’m certainly not looking for a list of rules so much as a single place to get a better hand on the culture.

2 Likes

Some of the “other sites” have explicit rules forbidding external linking to other forums. They have, as far as I know, more of an ad revenue based business model. This might be some of that fear feeding over. OG tends to be more reliant on keeping members here/together through community spirit. It might also be considered being polite to the rest of OG community to not continually send community members elsewhere.

But, I’m not aware of a rule specifically forbidding linking. Commercial purposes are a different matter. Affiliate linking, is a commercial purpose. Personally, I’d prefer to see our body of knowledge to continue to accrue so that we never have to leave our home.

13 Likes

This, rather than rules, is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for in posting this. Thank you @Northern_Loki!

2 Likes

Right, and that’s why I’d say it might be better to ask some of your individual questions to the general community as a whole. OG is community driven in many respects and you’ll get a better feel as to what is considered right versus wrong vs in-between.
Some things have been debated such as breeder/tester expectations. Which, tends to get a bit heated. So search around for a bit, you may find what you are looking for.

5 Likes

Some of the “other sites” are by “Invitation Only”
Such as the now closed Connisuer Community which most of the founding base was from potsnubs another by Invitation only.

Spawning from CC two more such sites have now formed but I hear one is about to close down.

All these sites have invites go thru a venting/culling procedure where 1 “no” stops the invite.

It was under the understanding that the sponsor and invitee were to actually know each other over a period of time have some kind of history by horse trading and such.
Or maybe have met up before for a sesh.

4 Likes

Oh, is that what was being referred to? I was thinking things like RIU, THCFarmer, etc.

3 Likes

And you can’t just ask the people you got them from? :thinking: and you’re right ethics aren’t rules but your topic isn’t about rules it’s about general ethics. Either way hope ya get the answers you’re looking for :+1:t2:

3 Likes

RIU and logic definitely shithole sites

3 Likes

People were putting up people they didn’t hardly know and overtime it ruined the “spot”

2 Likes

A couple of the best plants I’ve ever grown will throw some seeds if you don’t treat them well. All Fem’ed seed grown plants can/will hermi/self.

4 Likes

Hermie Korin was definitely the best plant I have grown. Their unstressed clone is a beautiful female. Still, I wouldn’t share seeds without a warning.

1 Like

if your going to test for a breeder/seed company who sells seeds to public you should

1. already have the place to grow established.
  2. have the skills before asking to start a plant from seed and finish it for 8 to 11 weeks of flowering.
  3. not make F2’s, breed crosses or share clones without blessings of breeder who shared it with you.
6 Likes

Sharing personal information will be deleted when we see it.
Breeders really don’t care about forum problems… I don’t care about breeders problems.

15 Likes

Saw thread title… then saw “Wait…what?!” :laughing:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Even for your own use would you say? I get this if you are passing on what could be a lot less stable than an F1 and handing it off as the original breeders creation, but if it’s for your own personal efforts then idk how I feel about such ownership rights… I guess it never hurts to ask the breeder.

6 Likes

What are the norms around discussing trades publicly? I would like to know if I made a bad trade or asked too much for something.
Horse trading is fun but I would rather everyone walk away happy.
Don’t want to reveal information that others might consider private. Sometimes even mentioning the strains received could be an overshare.

Anyone who’s traded with me want to chime in?

2 Likes