Time-Released Fertilizers- Osmocote/Nutricote/GroTabs etc

I’d like to ask people about their experiences using time release fertilizers, of the inorganic type. I’ve been growing organically in soil and learning to use soil amendments and topdresses for slow fertilization, but I am curious about the dry time release fertilizers for using outdoors, in particular for guerilla or other untended grows such as plants on a friend’s land with permission but little care. But I’d also love to know more about using them indoors or in gardens, since it’s a great option for new growers or people with limited mobility or energy who are trying to grow their own food or medicine despite age or disability. Also it’s cheap cheap cheap and I like the idea of poor folks being able to afford a year’s fertilizer for $20.

I think that at the end of the day, if Time-Released salts are what make folks grow their own and relocalize food production, I think that’s just fine, and used responsibly they don’t have the sort of environmental issues we associate with broad spreading of fertilizer that runs off into the water table. The time released stuff seems like it’s a much more responsible solution and also follows the ALARA rule for safety- As Low As Reasonably Achievable.

The difference between the two big guys, from what I’ve read on other gardening forums (those orchid folks don’t mess around!) is that Osmocote is temperature-released and Nutricote is chemical-release. The resin shell on Osmo doesn’t break down if the soil is too cold, but the chemical bonds of Nutri do, as long as the soil is moist. I can see how each of these would be good or bad depending on your particular situation.

Would particularly love to hear about the differences between formulas each company offers, and if there’s any other than the three in the title that I’m not aware of yet. Thanks all!

8 Likes

I have been looking at Osmocote for fruit trees fert later this year. Their numbers are interesting. From what I know it should work with our favorite plant too…I’ve lacked the reason to try it. Perhaps later this year?

3 Likes

@OldUncleBen you wanna kick us off here, since you’re a citrus tree pro? What would be the best Osmocote line or similar product for container growing fruit trees?

3 Likes

The fuck is wrong with horse manure?
It’s FREE.

1 Like

There are also GroDots (time release I believe) which are relatively new and Beanstalk CRF (controlled release)

2 Likes

Most horse manure contains traces of a broad leaf herbicide which can last for years. I’ve used a lot of it both while landscaping a new house and in compost, but I also knew my source.

Test your horse manure on maters, peppers or beans if unsure. If it’s tainted it will quickly show up as deformed branches, twisted leaves, etc.

6 Likes

Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus. Used to be $11/8#. Thanks to tariffs and other stupid policies it’s now doubled or more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTDGMHC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_8&amp=&crid=3JLZ6THIV1Z96&sprefix=osmocote&th=1

Just don’t spill it! I had a 50# bag sitting on a chair, open, and half spilled onto the floor. It’s like trying to pick up 1 billion BB’s!

I use it on large tropical fruit trees, field trees when planted as seedlings, bench grafted grapevines, orchids, cannabis grows…you name it.

Just got a bag in of this. $200 shipping fee was free thanks to a promo. Took advantage and ordered a heavy big bag of BM7 mix. Ya’ll need to check it out and give up the pricey FoxFarms crap.

2 Likes

Get on their email list. Stock up when they offer free shipping promos. https://www.amleo.com/berger-bark-growing-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7

1 Like

So much for keeping politics out of the forums…

3 Likes

For a moment I had a flashback to 2017. It’s awesome how both sides have their most passionate followers convinced that the other guys are the only ones who make bad choices, and the same choices are good ones when they’re made by the right party. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I found the time release stuff to be very helpful for unattended growing.
The type I chose was a bit different.
This one has a up to 6 month feed.
My plants were only out 6 months, that is the reason I went that way.

3 Likes

There is no such thing. I kinda know what you mean but you still have to water in order to feed.

The ICL version that I use releases nutrients based on both soil temp and moisture.

“Instant” feeding is a maintenance thing, easy peasy stuff - no mixing, water and feed automatically. Unlike many foods this product is very complete regarding macros, secondaries and micros.

2 Likes

Agreed, well I did not add the water this was outdoors, it just fell outta the sky.
I did have to water some in july and aug. but none of the other months.
Crop turned out pretty good.

So do you suggest that in place of the other?

1 Like

my base understanding is due to the nature of osmocote and how the pellets work with osmosis that when at higher temps that internal pressure vs external is different so that say there 5-6month feed rate at 21c is 4-5months at 26c

Also they have a bunch of different types whether duration, release rate, particle size ect, just easy access to them is hard at least for me.

osmocote and osmocote plus i can get and is easy for anyone else aswell and there are other options too, but say like osmocote bloom would be interesting to try just cant get it without going to a ag supplier and buying a big bag.

Now i have no experience with any time controlled stuff, was starting to play with some off the shelf time released nutrients before the holidays but just decided to cull my plants so i didnt have to worry about them.

Will be playing with some though.

2 Likes

Both are fine. I spoke to an ICL tech. He said the 15-9-12 is the best they have. My last purchase was the 8-9 month release. That’s about the active season for my greenhouse production, from late Feb. thru late Oct. I scratched in a good TB into the top inch of my soil when I upcanned them into 2-3 gallon pots Xmas day.

Backfill to just under the true leaves, scatter the Osmocote around, work it in and around with your finger, water. Easy peasy. No need for bloom foods. It’s leaves that produce bud, not Acme’s Miracle Cannabis Bloom Rocket Fuel #69. :smiley:

An additive you folks may want to consider - boron, it’s required for good flowering and fruit production. I apply it with a tractor PTO driven air blaster to my vineyard in the form of Solubor and as a soil drench about a month in advance of greenhouse blooming. Less is more with B, it can be toxic, so go easy.

4 Likes

Another nice thing is a supply of both N forms, slow (ammonical) and fast (nitrate).

4 Likes

hello @OldUncleBen , thank you for all you are sharing. how would you go by using this time released fertilizer in a SIP/ Ocotpot type setup? Is it possible to use it that way?

2 Likes

I do want to be clear here that I myself am a strong advocate of organic, regenerative agriculture. I’ve worked in the organic and farm to table food industry for a large chunk of my life and now work on an organic vegetable farm with 100 acres under certified organic management with cover cropping, crop rotation, our own compost, manures, rock dusts, malted barley, the whole nine yards. I do think it’s better for the environment and more sustainable in the long run, I also think centralization of food production and long supply chains for something all people depend on to live and be healthy is a problem. For a lot of people salts may be the option available to them or what makes the most sense and that’s fine with me. Let’s please not make my thread organic vs conventional, we have to agree to disagree on that one. If the products I’m asking about here aren’t your thing, please don’t comment.

7 Likes

I’m sure I’ve read @Oldjoints has experience with the Osmocote and maybe @DougDawson

3 Likes

@joheimgrohen I see you use the Real Growers Grow Dots in coco with Recharge, how’s that? Is it complete, and if so do you find you still tune it up a little with some extras?

3 Likes