Tissue culture experimentation, a first pass trial

You seal a bleach bottle in there and unleash a cloud before exposing the samples?

2 Likes

Currently I use a UVC germicidal lamp, but those mold spores are total hard asses. The more sensitive plant tissues I work with end up being effected by the bleach wash I do and die back before callus induction can be successful. Currently I’m experimenting with using an antibiotic which has shown some success, but the laminar flow hood modification will end up being more practical in the long run.

5 Likes

Awesome thread, it’s going to be a ton of help for this newbie. Thanks for sharing! :v: :v:
@Ras check this thread out if you haven’t already :+1:

2 Likes

I, for one, certainly didn’t get very far as a squirrel distracted me. I’ve completely forgotten to revisit this.

I still have most of the original agar from the above in the sterile containers packed away. I’ll pull those out to see it they’ve grown anything on their own for edification.

3 Likes

ahaha I do the same, them dang squirrels! We’ll see how far I get with it. :laughing:

I appreciate you making the thread none the less, it’s a nice clear write up for getting things together :+1:
definitely helps!

lol, maybe you have an advanced sci-fi colony living on one of them now :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, we shall see. I’ll post some photos when I get them out.

2 Likes

Pulling up a :chair: and a bong for this one…
Very cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I had managed to dig out and unpack some of the prepared agar that I had stored away quite some time ago.

Looks good. Nothing growing. At nearly three years old now.

Not sure if it’s still generally good to use after all of that time but it does seem to show that the pressure cooker technique works. I think I might just have to try some micro-propagation with these.

The candy-stripped tape is simply temperature sensitive tap used to help verify that temperatures hit sterilization temperatures.

9 Likes

After I get the hang of mycology and culturing, this is going to be my next step :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Noiice that’s awesome, thanks for the update!

2 Likes

If anyone has any tissue culture questions feel free to pm me. Been doing it for a while now

9 Likes

Curious if anyone knows of available sources for Murashige and Skoog media in Canada. Seems the companies I’ve come across require corporate accounts to purchase it.

Also curious if anyone knows if there would be any issues shipping it cross border from the US to Canada?
There’s a couple companies offering it to hobbyists down there but shipping is expensive and I’m worried about customs not letting it through.

2 Likes

I think I’ve found a source for the MS basal among many other things, haven’t ordered yet but they’re in Canada so no potential import issues and they don’t require a corporate account. :+1:

Will probably place a small order soon to test the waters.

https://www.mandel.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=murashige

1 Like

What’s the smallest size sample you can take?

1 Like

Me personally, or in general?

It really depends on the size if the meristematic dome but typically they are about 0.25mm in size

2 Likes

Generally for MJ.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

So the folks at Plant Cell Technology got back to me and said they ship to Canada often without issues. Nice to know before dropping a bunch of dough. :+1:

3 Likes

I have no affiliation outside of being a customer but I imagine that phytotech or Cassion labs ship to Canada. They’re both worth checking out.

3 Likes

Right on I’ll check them out for sure, thanks for the heads up! :+1:

edit: Oh wow, just checked them out, they even have pre-mixes of mediums/nutes for noobs like me! Thanks again

2 Likes

Careful about using the premade gel kits (like Phytotech’s hemp kit) if you are not up to snuff on your sterile technique yet. They DO NOT use a biocide in them.

4 Likes