Tissue culture experimentation, a first pass trial

Noted, was going to start real basic while I destroy things and get a better understanding of everything, but definitely good to know

2 Likes

Just do lots and lots of them and it makes your initial contamination rates palatable.

4 Likes

Iā€™m wondering can one just boil the media for sterilization with out having to use a autoclave, not that I canā€™t Google it, just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I just got everything I need to start. Seems like this thread is a good place to start lol

1 Like

Stove top pressure cookers work, and they are inexpensive. I have samples from years ago that show no contamination. Read up on the safety notes prior to using. Photo at top of thread is the one I had utilized, donā€™t recall maybe $20 at the time.

5 Likes

This is probably one of the very few TC threads out there that really breaks it down for the average joe, thanks @Northern_Loki ! Would love to see you continue this thread as the time goes on.

1 Like

I just started reading.
This may be the most important part of the whole formula and I bet most of ya missed it. :rofl:

So far this thread seems very complete.
Nice work @Northern_Loki

Hey @SHSC-1
Are you still thinking about getting into this?
This really would be a great place to start for ya.

2 Likes

hey man thanx for linking me
I did register for a university tissue culture course but that fell through when my place to stay while in school fell through. It was a 10 hour drive to the school from home so was going to stay with some friends but then him and his old lady hit some rocky roads at the time i ended up cancelling the course for lack of temprorary housing while I did the modules.

I could set it up at home but I have a small house and my shop is already grow space for breeding and pheno hunts so Iā€™m not sure where I would set up a sanitary space. Iā€™ll follow this thread though as I am eager to learnā€¦

1 Like

For university auctions and medical equipment try https://www.govdeals.com

2 Likes

Anyone see the Athena tissue kit? 3k I think

Screenshot_20221123_223549_Brave

4 Likes

wow, thatā€™s fancy! I picked up a cheap setup that Iā€™m going to try soon.

2 Likes

I was looking at the phytotech site and see they have a couple different things that may aid in the germination of old seeds, anybody here have any opinion or advice on the products ?

3 Likes

Can they tailor kits to specific plantsā€¦can they tailor a kit to cannabis specifically? Clones are considered ā€œhempā€ :grin:.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Yea ! interersting have looked at tissue culture before seems like itā€™s a good way to get /preserve orginal genetics.

1 Like

They do supply a number of different hormones. Gibberelic acid may be an option, for instance. Iā€™ve never tried that myself and there maybe a bunch of different options and for different goals ā€¦ which I canā€™t recall all of the differences. Gibberelic acid pops into my head though. Simple agar maybe with very very light nutrients and hormones might be interesting.

I will claim less is more when it comes to hormones, though.

3 Likes

Yes less is definitely more ,Iā€™m thinking more like starting seeds in sterile agar but one of the more common mixtures has cobalt in it which I thought can cause genetic alterations to occur maybe Iā€™m overthinking it.
This is the site Iā€™m looking at atm
https://phytotechlab.com/
They have some cannabis specific offerings, some variations on the Murashige & Skoog and there prices are great wondering what looks best to everybody for seed germination.
I might consider actual tissue culture if I ever got a positive virus test though.

2 Likes

Documentation says cobalt controls ethylene production.

3 Likes

The have good stuff. Their tissue culture containers are nice. I personally donā€™t consider them inexpensive, well maybe in comparison to sigma-aldrich, but what they carry is lab/research quality stuff.

Check this out too.

And, their PPM is a good insurance policy for agar based media.

Not exactly sure what this is:

Yes Iā€™m mainly interested in a sterile agar base that has the proper nutrients and what not for seed germination. I might get two or three things from them then run them side by side and compare.

One thing to consider is the sterility of the seed coat. Agar is like a supermedia for anything biological. That may include mold and bacteria.

There may need to be some seed prep to ensure it is clean. The PPM (plant preservative mixture), maybe some tween (surfactant), may help to avoid running into problems. There have been reports of it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s a short period of growth, but idk.

These folk demonstrate agar germination for crop seed:

I donā€™t really know what is optimal for cannabis in terms of nutrients and hormones for seed germination. Iā€™d say go really light with whatever you try.

There is a bunch of stuff on the intrawebs for agar germination but mostly for other crop. One study shows that a small amount of potassium nitrate outpeforms gibberelic acid. Even more so ā€˜smoke-waterā€™? Viable seeds would probably grow great in the same media with such adjuncts, or with a small concentration of M&S, but I donā€™t recall if Iā€™ve seen a good reference for germination of old cannabis stock. Maybe some tests with not as valuable seeds first.

2327-9834-article-p751.pdf (888.1 KB)

Sorry, I donā€™t think Iā€™m being very helpful. Did I mention that Iā€™m really lazy :slight_smile:

That would be cool.

5 Likes

Straight agar with MS is not enough just a fyi. You will need GA of some sort to germinate old seeds

2 Likes