TK BX3 seeds (closed)

Males #9 and #7

I did have a power outage for 4-5 hours when a storm rolled through 2 days ago. Humidity probably shot up to 100 in the tent while the fans were off during that time.

Didn’t see anything on male #10. Let me know what you all think. Everything has been on point. No light leaks, rh steady between 40-50%, temps stay under 78°F.

16 Likes

Are those possibly pistils? :thinking: am I the first to think this? May be a dumb observation but you asked and from what you described, it sounds like you might think they are. Is this the case? @Oldtimerunderground

5 Likes

I think that they might be pistils ( iv circled ), maybe investigate OTUG …?!

Looking really nice there bro …

Happy growing, :facepunch:
Gaz

6 Likes

These plants look amazing! :+1:

Which is you fav male so far?

1 Like

Is there a certain link to male hermaphrodites and female hermaphrodites?
In my experience I’ve seen no link (I have found a single female hermaphrodite from males that hermed) Could even argue a male hermaphrodite produces females which are less likely to throw balls due to the high ethylene production.
Anyone have more first hand experience with this?

3 Likes

100% pistils, that’s why I posted the pics and added a description of the growing conditions. I believe it’s genetic, but wanted a 2nd opinion. I don’t think the short time the humidity went up during the power outage would have caused this.

OTUG, P. I. is on the case :joy:

Thank you @Gaz29 they are looking really good and healthy. Pods are starting to fill up nicely :ok_hand:

Thanks @invisible, male #10 is my favourite. It has some beautiful branching and a killer stem rub. Although I must say, the other 2 males are really impressive as well.

For the longest time, I thought maybe there was a link between them. The rare times in the past when I’ve encountered this, I didn’t use those males that showed female parts, due to fear it might be some sort of genetic abnormality or defect.

My opinion on the matter lately has started to change, and I remember someone recently posting a link to an article on it. I think it was @HolyAngel? If it was, could you please post that link again?? I didn’t bookmark it and now I can’t seem to find it. Thank you

@lilmanbigplan the point you make on ethylene production makes sense to me, and would be a bonus! Makes me wonder if it may also contribute to a higher than average female ratio in the offspring :thinking:

7 Likes

Believe it was this post specifically, by ‘The Joker’, but there’s an earlier post in here from DJ Short that also kinda touches on it. To Quote The Joker:

Once sexed, the process of elimination may begin. All of the females are kept and regularly examined to prevent unwanted hermaphroditism. Unwanted males and all hermaphrodites must be eliminated before they begin to shed pollen ? usually by the third week in the flowering cycle. The female plants need to be checked for hermaphroditism until harvest.

(A quick word on “backward” hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.)

7 Likes

Thank you @HolyAngel :grin: much appreciated!! :pray:

4 Likes

Whatever you think is best! If you are thinking cull I think it might make sense to separate first and make sure the last male is viable first?

2 Likes

Thanks @Eagles009, I’m going to keep a close eye on things as they progress.

I don’t plan on culling them, as I’d like to have as much diversity as possible in the progeny. If it was the other way around and a female started shooting out nanners, it would be a different story, lol.

@lefthandseeds I know you’ve seen this firsthand before as well. Have you done any breeding with males like this and grown out the seeds? I’d love to hear your thoughts/experiences on the subject. If you could grace us with your presence and knowledge, I would be most grateful :pray:

7 Likes

IME pistils on a male don’t tell the whole story. I don’t seek them out, but I also usually judge from the females in the line. Usually, it goes one of two ways – the first possibility is that you have hermaphroditism in the females. From what I’ve seen that’s about equally as common as the other possibility, which is that you get “super” females that have no intersex traits at all. I see males as probably having a non sex-linked genetic factor that causes elevated female hormone production, causing stronger female traits in both males and females.

I think DJ short was talking about the positive aspects of this second kind of male. I’ve seen it happen a lot in the Jungle Spice strain from Bodhi. I’ve grown tons of females from F1s and F2s and I’ve yet to see a nanner. I’ve outcrossed it with no problems. I’ve seen the other case, where the females had hermaphroditic traits, and the males had pistils. But In that case, you’ll mostly get hermaphroditic females anyway… so you probably wouldn’t keep them. True hermaphroditism doesn’t seem to just happen in small numbers in the same cross, unless there was self pollination in conjunction with male pollination (in which case, all of those seeds would be females anyway).

14 Likes

cull him please

1 Like

It is known that the TK clone is extremely difficult to reverse. Could support the idea that both males and females produce above average amounts of ethylene.

3 Likes

No wonder #6 had me confused

12 Likes

male ? looked like a female to me, where am i missing the sacs ?

1 Like

Hmmmm, no bueno….

You might discard it before is to late?

2 Likes

@204medismoke I said the same thing 2 weeks ago. I labeled the pic for you and incase anyone else missed it.

7 Likes

It is what it is. I clipped the branch and put it under the scope to make sure I wasn’t seeing things before I chopped it down. It’s gone now, RIP…

4 Likes

The culls only improve the line. But it still hurts lol

7 Likes

I agree @PetalPowerseed and it did sting a bit more than usual, lol. Have to do what needs to be done, for all of us. I’m just glad it showed early, instead of in the end.

6 Likes