TK BX3 seeds (closed)

@PetalPowerseed @Oldtimerunderground Thank you both for taking the patience to work through all these challenges with the seeds. I know this has been frustrating, and having to do the work publicly must add a lot of pressure and stress. You guys have both done a great job at keeping us updated and staying fully transparent!

It would have been a lot easier to just pass on seeds with poor genetics to the group rather than continue to select for quality. Thank you for stopping the passing on of garbage genetics. It would be cool if we could get some recourse for the poor product we received, especially since it’s all documented right here, but if we can’t I won’t hold it against anyone if we don’t have any, or as many seeds to pass around. This has ultimately been a good learning experience about hype breeders, and can be used as an example for others on OG as a cautionary tale to think think a little harder about whose work we want to re-create.

Lastly, if it’s helpful in any way, I also have a TK x Loompa’s Headband from CSI seedling going, along with a few other OG crosses, that I would be happy to pollinate for the group if there is any desire to do so, and pollen to go around. I am sure there are more capable hands to do the work, but wanted to put the offer out there.

8 Likes

Question here, also follows on what @Greasy said in their last post…so let’s say 70-80% of the pack herms. You’ve got 2-3 plants left, at least one male and one female that didn’t show intersex traits, and you decide to breed with them. I assume there’s still a chance that the seeds from that cross will show intersex traits, is that right? Is it a relatively high chance given that 70-80% of the parents’ siblings carried “herm genes”? How many generations of selection away would it take to get the hermaphroditic progeny to a reasonable level? Is it even possible to predict?

5 Likes

That headband might be the ticket. start her up for us and when @Oldtimerunderground 's tubes land I will mix and send you one.

4 Likes

She is going. A little fussy looking after her transplant yesterday, but happy to donate her to this project!

4 Likes
6 Likes

I see OTUG posted a link which is great as I have no clue. Afraid this topic is out of my wheel house so I would not even hazard a guess.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, that explainer analogy by @Fuel was really instructive.

It sounds like he’s saying even in a best case scenario, if we’re looking at a generation with 70% “true” top-to-bottom herms (as opposed to rodelized herms), it would take ~12 generations to get to a 10% herm rate, and that would be in the hands of an experienced breeder. Thankfully we’re not trying to select some other specific traits as well like the OP in that thread but still…daunting and long term project at best. Am I reading that right?

Also interesting to see the opinion from @Morgwar that all females plants will always be susceptible to this and that it’s maybe not as big of a deal as people think.

5 Likes

Nice closeups, great shots! :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thank you @Gpaw :grin:

If I have to give bad news, I at least try to make it look good :joy:

I wanted to make sure everything was well documented.

6 Likes

Checked on the girls. Didn’t see anything abnormal. Feeling like this could be the calm after the storm. A bit relieved, for the moment, but will remain vigilant. At least all the plants that made it to this point are the ones that caught my eye early on.

The seeds being formed on these ladies are looking much, much better than the ones that were starting to form on the other plants, before they were cut down.

Note, both of the females are the squat phenos, like the male. Similar branching and growth. Stem rub on them all : nearly indistinguishable.

Praying for the best with this.

I hope everyone is ok with the seeds (if these girls don’t herm on us and stay true) knowing that most of the pack the parents came from hermed. Although selections were made against it, it’s entirely possible some plants grown from the seeds produced may exhibit some hermaphroditic tendencies. In my opinion, if the tendency is in any of the progeny, it will be at a lower rate than the original pack, due to intense selection pressure.

Thank you all for your kind words and valuable input.

16 Likes

Keep it up , you’re doing great . Just had a plant drop balls overnight on me , I wasn’t expecting it but o well ill work around it .

4 Likes

All it takes is 2 to tango and you’re doing great. Getting rid of the herms only helps in the long run.

Thanks again for running these. I’m not even on the list but still need to give props where they are due!

4 Likes

The seed bank is being zero help and pointing me to IG. No one is getting back with me there. Time to raise hell with seed junky everyone.

12 Likes

Is is with a heavy heart I say this. Both my ladies are looking shady. I Have decided to pull the plug on this trainwreck of a project. I will Attempt fems with CSI gear. I have both the 677 and the 5150 fem f2s. If you are willing to give me the time I would like to select the best of each out of each pack and then make seeds. While I am willing to make this right since this was my idea, this is seed junkies fault. Nothing @Oldtimerunderground did could have cause a 70% herm rate. I have been growing for 2 years and never had this much trouble. PM me if we have an issue. I have lots you can grow. I can’t afford refunds without getting one myself but if that happens (I doubt it with the conversation the seed bank and I are having) I will 100% hand it right back to you. I am out the cost of the back up plans. I could also pull a male out of some of those GG4RIL and make a reg cross. Please let me know.

16 Likes

So what does the group think of this disaster? From my perspective it seems like we have 2 good growers with the exact same problem. Hermies galore. Now if 1 grower had the issue and not the other I would be thinking something environmental but with both I am thinking shit genetics. I am curious how you all wish to proceed.

I will say for me that I don’t have much interest in trying to carry on shit genetics. The world is likely better off without them. I would also say thanks to @Oldtimerunderground and @PetalPowerseed for attempting the project. If we need to walk away from it than so be it, it is a disappointment but just goes with growing sometimes. What do the rest of you think?

11 Likes

If the seeds are garbage, no since to waist time and effort on them.

4 Likes

HOWEVER you decide to ““make it right””, I’m ok with it!! SEED JUnKY rollin’ on old hype of several OUTSTANDING strains. Not caring about customer’s “hermies” guarantees I’ll NEVER give 'em any of my $'s, NONE!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Hear Hear, and we spread the word about these crooks so they don’t screw over anyone else IMO.

7 Likes

Assuming OTUGs remaining plants don’t hermie, wouldn’t those make good seeds? I am asking this question, not making a statement.

2 Likes

Seed junky will not receive any $$$ from me. No exceptions. Some breeders will.

7 Likes