TOO much power?

Howdy all

I was wondering if too much light could have adverse affects.

Example being a 5x5 Grow tent with a 1000W HPS. Now let’s say the temps are right where they should be and there are no heat issues, the plants are not massive but not a little clone either, only 5 plants will be in there in 5 gal Smart Pots. Could it be too much power ? I plan after this run to veg everything almost 2 months before being put in.

Never had this much power… haha

Cheers

If you hang 1000W HPS high enough for wide coverage there will be no issues in 5x5.

I’d do some round number of pots - like 2x2 pots or 3x3 pots in that area…

4 Likes

Awesome Thanks!

figured I would be but like asking the Experts for ease of mind! :wink:

Anyone ran a 5x5 tent with a 1000w hps before ?

I’ve run few 1kw HPS but never in a tent… With strong lamps it is imho better to have more open space. But it will work - the only issue can be heat, but sufficient vent can take care of it. You just have to be sure to never forget to have ventilation set ON at all times :slight_smile:

Yes forsure! It’s all set up and the ventilation runs right through the lights 24/7! sadly due to my situation i am forced to use a tent… for now haha

I like 1kW HPS lamps. It is not that final product of 600W would be different. They are pretty much the same dense and crystal buds. Both can produce fine developed buds.

The biggest difference is the structure of the plant. Under 1kW I like to have plants untrimmed in small bushes so I can see how would they look outdoors when grown naturally. 1kW has finally proper penetration of light so there is no need to do any defoliation or cutting lower branches. Everything is finely developed just like under the sun.

With anything smaller than 1kW I’m mostly adapting my growing style to this limited lamp penetration and getting most of it (be it #seaofgreen or #scrog). There is no need to bother with this under 1kW.

1 Like

Awesome i like the sound of that! They arnt the biggest ive topped a few times but left the lowers on. Planning to put into flower in 1-2weeks. Just waiting on getting rid of some fungus nats. They seem to be under control but i want to make sure before flower

You get the big harvest from the 1,000W’s, they eat up most of one electrical circuit.

I never had 600w lights but if I did I would buy 2 of them and be able to run them both on a single circuit no trouble.
Where as 1,000’s its not a good idea to run 2 of them on one circuit.

My first HID light was a 1,000w Metal Halide that was used to light up a tennis court. That light was kick ass.
Gave it to a friend many years ago to help get them started.

1000w is perfect for 5X5 area, the only issue is height, there won’t be enough room in the standard 6 or 6.5’ tall tent, it would be too close to the plants.

5X5 is 2.32 square meters. The optimum light intensity for indoor cannabis is 800-1000 ppf/sq. meter. The best double-end 1000w HPS are about 2,100 umol PPF. So that would be 900 PPF per square meter, it’s just right.

4 Likes

Few problems after doing a 1kw DE open in 5 x5 x 6 (approx) tent. In a consult gig for my client.

We had no issues with heat, ambient temps were easy to manage because we were using cool outside air, and ideal leaf temps were verified with IR thermometer.

So here’s the issues with highpower in little tents:

1. You need an aggressive prune and train strategy, 1KW’s already have a hotspot DE’s are no different,

2. Do not mix cultivars in tents, some do better than others, I had a Gorilla Glue 4 get totally crowded out over a Birthday Cake, I know this sounds obvious, but weak cultivars will get crowded, slight differences in vigor will cause huge problems.

3. 1kw can hurt colas oddly enough some of the best colas were at the corners of the tent, this leads me to believe that you can stunt flower formation with too much light. You can get density and frost, but I think its too much for the flower to handle and you get a smaller nugget, and cola .

Fixes that are bad practice:

Run dimmed 1kw, 1KW are long elements, and its already known that this changes spectrum.

Not saying you cant do it, but the size of the tent really limits movement, and plants cant stretch out. but somebody mentioned SOG, and I think this is better for 1kw in a tent. You dont want height in the tent and you want to keep all the plants manageable, and still have movement in the tent.

I would bet SOG is better for overall quality and easier to manage .

5 Likes

Science for the win…

1 Like