Top Feed over Rock Wool - Quest to full automation on the cheap

This is my first journal on this site with this screen name. This has a certain measure of sentiment to me as the last time I was a member, I studied the content of the site at that time for well over a year before starting my first grow. That began at the end of 2002, back when everyone was talking a lot about FIM. Some 15 years later, I made a new account with my 420 screen name and here is my grow.

The title gives the general details, but the methods are derived from something called Simple Hydroponics, a.k.a. Capn Style. Some years back, during my first grow in soil, The Capn messaged me (over on 420) and offered a shit load of help. I slowly merged into growing using his methods and have been doing so ever since (that is when I’m growing). His methods are geared towards max yields from min plant counts, so this entails an extended veg period, frequent topping, frequent transplants and the use of beneficial bacteria (Real Grower’s Recharge). We use mini rock wool cubes (1cm x 1cm or 1/2" x 1/2"), and he has found transplanting does not experience shock, at least not for more than a day. Perhaps the use of bennies greatly reduces TP shock.

Also as the title suggests, I am in full pursuit of complete grow room automation and remote control. I estimate to be about 70% complete in my project and it is my intent to share all circuits and code to the best of my ability with other users completely free of charge. Let me be up front about something, it was the desire to build this project that has lead me to learn the basic skills needed to get as far as a I did. I have a pretty extensive DIY back ground, so adopting these new skills was likely less painful to me than it would be to others with less experiences. That said, my project is likely full of flaws, is completely unprofressional looking, and likely also falls very short of being code compliant, but I am confident in my knowledge to know which rules I can bend, and how far. Further inspection of @r-man’s project, I see the bar has been set way higher than I intend to reach, at least in the near future. Having spent a fair amount of time reading his code, I can see his understanding is far superior to mine, and his system is way more thought out and built than mine. If I had to use adjectives, I’d liken him to an engineer, whereas I’m just a hobbiest with only very basic circuit building and code writing skills. Still, if anyone chooses to copy what I did, I’ll be more than glad to share and hopefully save you a lot of growing pains that I had to endure.

Thus far, I have a microcontroller unit (MCU) called Ethermega, and it is a combination between an Arduino Mega 2560 and an Ethernet shield. There is also some added functionality with this board, plus has some added pins that I already found convenient. The MCU reads a clock and executes time based events that usually correlate to devices powered by relays, so light A turns on for 12 hours, then light B, feed times throughout the day etc. Also, in each of my bloom rooms, I have a single Temp/Humidity sensor, and based upon preset high and low values, things like exhaust fans cycle on. The project is online thanks to a free Android and IOS app called Blynk. The app is stupid easy to use and simple functionality like turning MCU pins on and off can be achieved without knowing how to right any code at all. All that’s required is basic knowledge of how to install libraries and upload Arduino code. Using the app is completely free, but buying the “widgets” cost “energy” points. New members receive 2000 energy points, and the average price of a widget is 200 points to 500 points. I went ahead and spent the one time fee of $10 to get roughly 20,000 more energy points to build the app on my phone the way I want to. You’ll see what I mean in the videos I shot today. Every cell in my app is called a widget. Some widgets are value displays, another is an LCD, another is a debugging monitor, some are value selectors, and one is a different type of selector (Nutrients). When building your app, if you have a widget that you no longer want to use, you can delete it and the energy it cost to purchase that widget is returned to your account and will never expire. All of that said, one can do a lot with just $10 and extend the functionality of the MCU exponentially!

My grow now consists of a veg closet that measure 3’6" x 2’ x 7’6" and I have 3 Bubblelicious clones that are doing very well. In bloom I have a single Bubble Gum. I have 2 bloom rooms and a center staging area. Each room measures 3’6" x 3’6" x 7’6".

Update pt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-BBU6GNcw&t=21s

Update pt 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Qfb5FW5qc

5 Likes

Holy sh!t that looks complicated. As i said on you tube i hope everything comes together and is successful. Good luck, i will enjoy watching.

Very complicated indeed! Thanks for the best wishes. Hopefully someday I can get back to fully concentrating on my grows instead of room stats, networks and all other typical drama that can occur in a hydro grow.

1 Like

Yesterday was the 21st day in bloom for my Bubblegum and I am thinking to do some defoliation to open up the canopy some for improved air movement. Is there a generally accepted time frame for defoliating in bloom?

I usually go to care the plants with scissors in hand and just cut daily a few ones… through all the flowering period…it works for me…
D_S

1 Like

I don’t think there is a right answer. I defoliate when i see leaves sweating or they get close to the soil. I take the bottom out little by little during veg and the top and middle as needed in flower. Worrying about stressing the plant is only when you take a third or more of the plant at once. That is a general rule of botony not cannabis. I eat my leaves you should try it. Great in frozen fruit smoothies.
@Skybound

1 Like

I know I should’ve already had this taken care of during veg, but time was thin back then. Good news is my current veg plants are getting a lot more attention and will be ready to enter bloom with a nice manicured under carriage.

On another note, I’ve added a bit more functionality into my Blynk app by adding a History Graph widget to display my temp and RH readings of both bloom rooms, onto a timeline so trends can be seen. The widget can be zoomed in to 1 hour display, 3hour, 6 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 3 month increments. As I was doing that, I noticed there was a spike in the RH of Bloom A due to the exhaust fan being accidentally unplugged. If I didn’t have this capability, my grow may have been plagued with near 100% RH for every dark period.

1 Like

Video update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOghNLbhB1k

2 Likes

My rooms are starting to balance out somewhat. The Bubblegum in week 7 is slow, but that’s mostly my fault from lack of attention and some deficiencies. The Bubblelicious in week 3 has stretched like a bastard. I may be able to wrench the light up another 3", but that’s about it. Overall, things are improving though. Still making progress with my dosing pumps, but still more testing is needed and code will likely need to be changed.

Week 7 Bubblegum

Week 3 Bubblelicious

4 Likes

Still dickin around with my dosing pumps, trying to figure out the best configuration, plus also how to properly code it. Bubblegum is a week or two out and the Bubblelicious is just so beautiful! I hope the buds stack up well. Here’s a quick video mostly of the dosing pumps.

YouTube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-Z4J_IC_Q

2 Likes

Exactly what i looking for (full automation )
Let me grab some popcorn and enjoy the show :smile:
Is it possible yo have more picture of your stuff (peridoser etc )
Stay safe and grow hard

1 Like

What’s up Bhang, glad to have you along for the ride. I’ve been chilling out from my journals for a while and solely focusing on building out my system some more. That said, I’m looking to migrate my project over to some Raspberry Pis. I also just ordered a 3D printer to make some servo valves and still more dosing pumps. After that, it’s simply a matter of getting EC and PH probes added in and by my count I will be complete. At that point, I can test each reservoir periodically, top it up with nutes or water as needed, or do complete res changes completely over the internet. Once I get to that level of automation, I will build back into the project a little to add highlights like cameras and some other sensors, maybe CO2 controls etc. I also intend to program out the GH feed schedules so instead of telling how much of each nutrient to dose, I can simply recall Bloom Week X, how many gallons of that I want and that’s it. I would just consider it done! Oooo, I can’t wait! So very close now!

4 Likes

I’ve updated your posts so that videos are embedded…

Great work! I wonder if you managed to flower that overgrown Bublelicious?
Dosing calibration video looks great, you know your stuff… very skilled DIY!

1 Like

The Overgrown bblc just hit week 9 yesterday. I expect 2 more weeks, but won’t know for certain till Monday when my USB microscope arrives in the mail. Her daughter went through some major trauma, yet on day 19 since pistils, she looks amazing. Very leggy and is stacking up nice. I can’t wait to smoke mom though. I’ll get some picks this weekend.

2 Likes