Topicals & THC lotions

Ok so first, how do you folks turn your dried/cured bud into topicals. I searched “Topicals” & didn’t see a master topical thread.

Is there a possible way to make a topical so that you’re not walking around all day smelling like a flower tent?

200w (3)

4 Likes

Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 cups coconut oil
1/3 cup of beeswax
7-10 grams of cannabis (I used 10)
Cheesecloth
4-5 Tablespoons of food grade French lavender petals.

It would be much easier to just use essential oils but I know nothing about them and all of them on Amazon have some concerning negative reviews so I opted to do it myself. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oil are the most suggested along with Lavender.

Step 1- Decarb. There’s some debate on if you need to decarb to make a topical at all. Both sides make good points and there’s people who even decarb half and leave half raw. I chose to decarb and the results were good so I will suggest it. I ground the cannabis pretty well before decarbing. 240 for 30 minutes and put it back in for another 7 mins.

Step 2- Infuse 1 cup of oil with the cannabis. There’s plenty of ways to infuse so the method doesn’t matter if you get a good infusion. I personally put the oil and bud into a mason jar and seal it up. I then boil the mason jar in a pot on the stove for 2 hours, shaking every once in awhile to mix it up and adding water as it boils away. I did this with edibles and the results were fantastic and I got great results again this time.

Protip- the mason jars(s) will move around and clang as the water boils and will drive you insane if you’re within listening distance for those 2 hours. I take a white washcloth and put it onto the bottom of the pot (if you use a colored one you will boil out the dye and singe it into the bottom of the pot). My thought was just some padding to cut down the clanging but it actually completely stops the clanging completely and keeps the jars still. I guess it changes the way the bubbles are dispersed.

Step 3- Fold a piece of cheesecloth 4-5 times to use as a filter. Wet the center with water before straining because it makes a difference in how easily the oil will pour through plus you’ll lose less oil being absorbed. Pour mixture through the cheesecloth slowly trying to avoid getting plant matter in until the end. Once the loose oil is through dump the plant matter into the cheesecloth and wring it out hard, careful not to let any plant matter escape. REALLY wring it out because there’s a decent amount of potent oil to be had there. Some gloves are a good idea but not necessary if you don’t mind oily hands.

Step 4- Infuse the Lavender petals into 1/2 Cup of oil in a mason jar. You can use a different oil here like Olive oil, Jojoba, Grapeseed and plenty of others. You can also just use premade essential oils which is the easiest route. I did the lavender how I did the bud but at a lower temp and only about a half hour. I eyeballed the lavender and had no idea how much to use. It came out to about 5 Tablespoons and the end result was good (not too strong but it’s present and blends with the cannabis smell nicely to make it smell more salve like and less marijuana product).

Step 5- Repeat the cheesecloth strain exactly as you did with the flower, letting the oil drip directly into the cannabis oil.

Step 6- Mix thoroughly.

Step 7- Put a sauce pan on low heat and add the 1/3 cup of beeswax in. As it gets melting pretty good slowly add your oil mixture. The wax just disappears and it seems like a very small amount so I tossed in another tablespoon or two but it probably wasn’t necessary.

Step 8- Stir until the wax disappears completely. Adjust the temperature as needed but try not to go too high with it.

Step 9- Pour into something you can store it in and wait to solidify either slowly at room temp or in the fridge to speed it up (I went fridge so I could try it last night).

The lavender makes it not smell like weed and it works pretty great. There is no psychoactive quality at all though you may feel calm. If you wanted it to be intoxicating you would need to mix in something like magnesium stearate which I’ve never done myself.

10 Likes
3 Likes

No buzz eh, ok well certainly it’ll still work better than plain CBD lotion for pain & inflammation right?

3 Likes

I haven’t tried plain CBD but with all the arguments for the entourage effect I’ve read up on I believe it should be better than just CBD by itself. I do always use Pennywise for it though which is 1:1 of about 12% so there is a healthy amount of CBD in mine.

I did my reading on it and the magnesium stearate mixed in will help it cross the blood brain barrier and get you high. There was at least one other ingredient that would do the same, possibly DMSO but I’m not positive.

My GF has some serious neck issues where it tightens up on her so hard she’s crying and this salve has pulled her completely out of it within minutes every time.

3 Likes

Exactly what I’m looking for, thanks @Slick1! Guess it’s time to look for a 1:1 :metal: I’m also hoping it will help a guy with skin cancer/back pain but those neck pain results got me excited.

4 Likes

I don’t have enough Pennywise to send any out (I have some I got from DrGonzo but I don’t completely trust they’re real considering the source) but I do have a pack of Black Cream x Pennywise left if you want it. It definitely took on a ton of cbd in the cross and I plan on making salve from it in the future in lieu of straight Pennywise soon. If you want it PM me your safe addy.

4 Likes

Hey @Gonzo Sebring did a tutorial for how to make his Comfort Cream. It uses DMSO so it acts transdermally (passes into the bloodstream via the skin), and it’s supposed to be very effective.
Here’s a link to a post that has both a recipe, and the video:

3 Likes

Here is my recipe from my tincture thread. The twist on this recipe is utilizing the cannabis roots as well.

5 Likes

@Slick1 You’re OG to the max Slick! But I’ll buy a pack of Pennywise when i get moving on this project. Btw, If i run across extras or F2’s in the meantime ill send them your way! :+1:

@HeadyBearAdventures Awesome, I think I’d like to make all these versions. Thanks for the time digging this up bud.

@ReikoX Nice! I’ve already read how to make Green Dragon and I’m interested in not wasting anything so the use of roots is great. Intrigued, thanks!

3 Likes

It works great! Sebring sent me some for shoulder. I had got som from @Bobgrows that I use when I go ou, It works great and smells better :rofl: :hibiscus: :sunflower: ::blossom: :tulip:

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Hope your doing better and better every day… :v::hibiscus::ear_of_rice::herb:

1 Like

I am doing better everyday. But the pain never lessens. The two repairs are opposing. When I compesated for the complete rotator tears I tore the bicept long. So when I work one the other is worse and visa versa. If I had just got the rotator fixed sooner I would be in this fix. But, I had to deal with the pain untill it completly retracted. Then It took 6 monthss to jump thru medical and get the surgery.

When I can drive I can met up with you and bring my light with me. The current run is suffering for it. I didn’t realize how much better those sol strip light are,

4 Likes

Sending love, :pray: 's & positive vibes. I’d have already curled into a ball having to deal with all that. You’re tougher than me!

Ouch!!

Let me know. I can drive to you as well and pick it up.
@G-paS

1 Like

I follow a dude who sells some of this stuff with the roots on Instagram and purchased it for my dad. He loves it but the guy quit making it with the roots because some people complained that it hurt their skin. Wonder why that would happen? Like I said, my dad loves the stuff so I wanna learn to make it myself for him.

I have some CBD 20:1. How would this work against a 1:1 do you think? @Slick1 @ReikoX

3 Likes

Glad to hear your on the mend!

1 Like

I would imagine it would work of but I’ve never anything other than the 1:1 so I can’t say for sure how well.

2 Likes