TopShelfs trees (Part 5)

3 Likes

Best part is when you get bored and make more plants to neglect

4 Likes

Lmfao yall are cracking me up! Who is gonna be water boy and put the fire out?

2 Likes

TopShelf said he is doing well :slight_smile:

Spending time with his loved ones

Will be back next week

4 Likes

I said you guys love him and want him back btw

3 Likes

He is on a break

1 Like

Yes, he needed to unplug a bit.

He was getting a lot of messages from people hitting him up for this or that. He already had a lot going on battling thrips and found it very stressful.

No one person caused that or anything, just how stuff adds up can be a lot of pressure and stress you know?

3 Likes

i am good about plant count so i only do that before my run and keep the best 15 usually out of 20 haha. but man when i get lazy and neglect i do it well !

1 Like

Are we talking about the same person?

Oh sorry. Brain fart, you meant weednerd!

My bad hahaha @Hemlock

For me when I get caught up i always want more to doā€¦ problem is I fall behind then, lol

1 Like

We_were_on_a_break

2 Likes

thrips are such a nuisance.
They have pretty much found a way to infest the processing plants that produce the peat bales.
I get them with every bale of sunshine mix 4 for the last few years now.
I did a test recently where I isolated some plants , transplanted them with a fresh bale and while the main garden had no thrips, the isolated transplants showed signs of thrips within the first week of opening that bale. I alternate now with alcohol/h202 sprays and Monetereyā€™s Garden Spray with Spinosad. Itā€™s the one thing that really knocks them out but I donā€™t use it after the flip. Other availlable sprays donā€™t seem to affect them much, same with diatomaceous earth. I have been using various things to keep up my ipm so that the aphids canā€™t return but those fucking thrips survive it. They donā€™t survive the Spinosad.

5 Likes

i have not been visited by the scourge in quite a while now https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FKw5IiCy4rU what goes in stays in what is outside stays outside

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how big a bale is but on a smaller scale we pour boiling water through any medium that comes to our home. We slacked off on that shit this year cuz it can be a little time consuming but we also had a crazy infestation of fungus gnat bastards in all of our starts fresh from the store.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had thrips a couple times. Put Rove Beetles in the tent. That was all it took. 1st time it got nasty, but the beetles handled it. 2nd time I didnā€™t let them get bad, trying 14 different sprays 1st. . Went straight to the RBs. They work on spider mites too. They arenā€™t cheap, but I like the idea of not using anything harsher than soap based products.
In another few weeks Iā€™ll let loose a few bags of Lady Bugs. Usually have a Praying Mantis or 2 show up.
Hey @SHSC-1 , is there a way to sterilize the peat before you use it? I bet a walk in freezer would do it. Any buddies own a restaurant? Heat might work. Spread it out under a black tarp will cook it. Just thinking.

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the thirp eggs can survive freezing temps but Iā€™m not 100% on that. I know they donā€™t like high heat or humidity.

Could probably put the whe bales under black tarps and put some pots of water under and kill them.

2 Likes

Rove beetles are expensive but if you plan it out, you only have to buy them once. They are VERY easy to maintain a ā€˜farmā€™ of. After getting them setup in their bin, you only need oatmeal and water to feed them. If someone needed them in US, and are within this threads group, I would consider sending a good amount for the cost of shipping. Not during summer though, they simply wont live in the heat.

6 Likes

@crownpoodle , when i start seeds and clones I bake the sunshine mix in the oven to sterilize it.
Gotta wet it out first, stick a temp probe in there (kitchen kind) and seal it up good with foil and when the internal temp hits 180F , it gets another 1/2 hour and itā€™s sterile.
Baking a whole bale would take some serious time LOLā€¦ would have to devise an outdoor cooker/oven. Thing isā€¦ these bales are supposed to be sterilized in the packaging process ā€¦ go figure.

3 Likes

It probably is, I bet they are getting them at the warehouse they sit in after or the store

3 Likes