Bug hole in main stalk. How to clean/seal it? UPDATE W PIC

Today I noticed this hole in the base of my best plant. There was what looked like a slug inside of it. I had exposed it to sunlight, and by the time I got back with tweezers he was gone. I lost my 3rd best plant a few weeks ago in a similar fashion but it had a hairless caterpillar inside of it. That one he had made quite a big home and eventually cut the plant in half before I noticed it. Now I worry that there might be a caterpillar inside this hole, and the slug was just a home invader of sorts.

Anyway, is there something I could or should gob in there to clean/seal the hole? Or maybe just cover it with something like a band-aid?

5 Likes

Get a thin stiff wire and probe how deep that hole goes up or down
That sucker could be up in there eating away.
They have some good natural Cattie killer , I am misplacing it’s name right now. I have used it on my weed plants as well as my fruit trees to treat Catties (Caterpillars) . Have you seen any more of them , look the plants over completely and the floor too they fall down a lot.

Then again it could be just a slug , but you lost a few plants already correct. Are you west coast , Catties are bad already.

OK Found it Works good

Monterey LG6332 Bacillus Thuringiensis

5 Likes

You can use Clonex gel to seal the tissues and cure the wounded stem … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t seal the hole. Let it heal naturally. You can “seal in” pathogens otherwise.

As for the caterpillars, malathion or sevin (carbaryl) are dirt cheap and sold in every hardware store.

4 Likes

I just went probing with a small paperclip. The hole doesn’t appear to go up or down. So thats a relief. I also checked the bases of the other ones quick. 1 had a small spot that looked chewed on, but it didn’t get through. They are getting quite woody now, so I may be ok. It looks like it might have been an older hole and the slug was just hanging out in it for whatever reason. Thinking back, I did have a random branch die on that one a couple weeks ago. Maybe thats where it was attached, or maybe it died during an attack.

This is my first grow, so I’d rather use the least amount of chemicals as possible. I just kinda freaked out a little. Its my best tangerine by far. I have a blue dream not far behind, but they are crushing the rest :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good thing , You can do what you are doing and watch for any other damage, check the stems and stalks , and watch the leaves Catties eat the leaves, Good Luck
Welcome to The OG

Can we see a whole picture of that plant?

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about the lost of your other plant. Glad this one seems to be OK. Sevin works well and not as bad as some of the other stuff out there. Good luck with this and the rest of your grow

2 Likes

Thanx guys. I’m sure I’ll run into some issues, but its been quite fun so far. Even if I do “ok”, it’ll be awesome. I’ve always liked growing things. But haven’t had a place for green. I’m in michigan so we are legal now. yay

11 Likes

Ive been trying training them. Some didnt seem to like it as much, so i let some stand back up.
That was the tangerine. Heres the blue dream in 2nd then some other ones.

9 Likes

Very Nice You have done well, it is hard to control insects outdoors unless you follow a weekly spray routine for bugs as well as PM
But your plant looks pretty healthy

2 Likes

My smallest one is the only clone. Got those bicolor leaves, but it doesnt wanna keep up with the others

2 Likes

This one shows a couple of my more upright ones. One is in the background. I’ll post more pics in an appropriate thread once they grow some more

4 Likes

That seems like a nice grow spot. Good sun for your ladies. They look pretty good so far.

So if I used neem and spinosad would I hit the ladies with it one a week each or how would I go about this weekly routine? I know having healthy pest resistant plants in the first step outdoors. Like you said, it’s hard outdoors.

3 Likes

Any wound or weakness in a plant (like leaves with nechrosis) is an entrance gate for patogens, bugs and diseases. Clonex gel would heal and cicatrize, it is also used for that … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Clear an area around EACH plant, about 8 -10 inch circle. Grass-free zone, so to speak. Sprinkle crushed egg shells OR cover with a fine layer of sand. BOTH Catties and Slugs hate to cross them, gets in their membranes. Additionally, go to Sierranaturalscience.com and check out their Natural products. I’ve used them for 2 1/2 years now, very inexpensive way to keep the “bad guys” in check. I wish you well…stay safe.

3 Likes

You don’t want the plant to heal around pathogen fungi or bacteria.

I’ve had plants die from an inner stem rot, and the hole itself had healed over. I have experience with this specific matter.

Kill the bugs, let the plant heal.

5 Likes

Caterpillars come from eggs laid by moths and butterflies usually on the plant itself. Eggshells won’t help at all.

Slugs will absolutely cross an eggshell.

1 Like

I’ve seen Catties “crawling around”. If you crush egg shells in a Blender, haven’t seen many that make the trip. MY observations around MY property…the ONLY thing I can speak to. Norther Maine has tons of Slugs. We manage to keep them at bay, of course I spray my “Secret Slug Juice” early mornings. I stand by my statements.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of putting pine needles around the plants for slugs can help as well. They don’t like getting poked, apparently. This is not a fail safe, but should be used a layer of protection if you do not want to use chemicals.

It has been said also, if you cut the end out of a tin can, split it lengthwise, and put it around your plant stem. I have heard slugs do not like that as well. We have had quite a few slugs around this year as well.

Vernal- great point. Plants have been healing themselves from stuff like this for generations. That is probably a good way to do it.

1 Like

Could be, but if water enters in the hole it will rot the stem … :sunglasses: