TopShelfs trees (Part 5)

Rove beetles also kick ass on fungus gnats, though TBH I’ve always applied beneficial nematodes at the same time.

I went in three weeks from a perpetual cloud of fungus gnats to a perpetual cloud of rove beetles, to absolute silence. Much better than pesticides.

6 Likes

i will look into rove beetles fellas.
I spent the whole winter trying to grow weed and all I accomplished was a world class aphid farm LOL
Maybe I should look into keep a beetle colony alive instead. :rofl:

8 Likes

I got them from Arbico Organics. Like @TrichomesToStun said, they colonize well. Another nice thing is you just put them in with plants, then go about your business. A lot of you guys, this is your business, so spend your time moving plants in and out to treat isn’t the best idea. Time consuming, when you could be popping more seeds @SHSC-1 ! Or murdering fish like @TopShelfTrees1 . Unless that’s catch and release where he fishes.

3 Likes

its actualy sterilized pre-mixing, i have friends working for sungrow here in inkerman and they sterilize it at the begining of process

3 Likes

LOL! That will happen too. They’ll eat and reproduce if there is a supply of food to meet their needs. When they seen all those gnats, they probably went old school buffet.

If you don’t lollypop at lest a little bit, you will find some rove beetles in your lowers as well(they run up stalks and the sides of pots when you water). After a while, their numbers will come to a homeostasis, and they’re not so much a nuisance anymore.

I got all my Beneficials here https://mibeneficials.com/ they have a video on rearing the beetles here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYeNvVCFeEA An hour video seem excessive, it’s really simple but some bug nerds :nerd_face: may find it interesting.

4 Likes

They pretty much disappear once the fungus gnats are gone. Very rarely I see an adult hovering around or a grub stager.

4 Likes

:grin: :+1:

You forgot the dish soap.

Do they fly? I want an insect army for my mothers but don’t want to kill ladybugs with fans and lights.

6 Likes

Score! I can access them locally!

3 Likes

OHHH!!!

Looks like my mothers are gonna get a gift for life! (Pun intended, I’m not a coward and I always intend my puns!)

:+1:

5 Likes

@Pigeonman if you spray ladybugs with a sugar water solution, it glues their wings in place for a while

6 Likes

Great tip @Emeraldgreen !

6 Likes

Yeah they can fly. Usually only to escape LOTS of water or move to new plants or catch prey. The Stratio’s are a great companion. I also have some:

Neoseiulus Californicus
Target Pests: Two Spotted Spider Mites, European Red Spider Mites, Clover Mites, Broad Mites, Cyclamen Mites, Any Other Spider Mite

The rove beetles are easy to spot but the Strats and the Cali’s need a microscope to find.

5 Likes

They helicopter around. Super cool. I would just keep shooing them back into the tent. Every once in awhile I’d see one on the other end of the house. If your tent is in a room and the door stays closed you won’t see them anywhere else.

4 Likes

good morning @TopShelfTrees1 and the OG family. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

have agreat day ya all! :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

8 Likes

Morning @m0sirys and everyone else

6 Likes

Raccoons look so cute, this might sound silly but I wish they could be domesticated lol, they have such little hands and they can actually use them!

Sadly it’s not really possible

3 Likes

Morning, people

Wild how many posts this thread gets when the OP isn’t even here. Sending strength to TS

6 Likes

We just love him and want him back :sob:

6 Likes

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :smoking: :evergreen_tree: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
good morning everyone

7 Likes

A lot of people come together here at once. It’s good that we all feel comfortable.

tst is sorely missed! hope he is ok and find his way back to us soon :slight_smile:

8 Likes