Transplanting bare root plants?

I have a fun little issue I would love some advice on.

I started 6 seeds in 3 pots, thinking I would thin them after a couple weeks.
Long story short, turns out I can grow out five plants instead of three.

So the question becomes if I can transplant a young plant without risking damage to the remaining plant.

I was thinking I could grab them down the stem and onto the root system and gently tease them out.

Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Flush the pot with room temperature nonchlorinated water to expose roots gently release any tangles, dust roots with mycorhizzae and transfer to new pot.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry for a second about scooping one out of each of those pots. It’s hard to kill a weed. You may stall them for a few days while they repair the roots. I’d take as much root/soil as I could though. Then refill the hole with soil.

8 Likes

^^ What he said!

I would do it now, rather then later. And in the future, sticking to one seed, one pot is adviced.

Happy growing!

2 Likes

@DanzaKuduro
@Scissor-Hanz
@Palindrome

Thanks! I guess it is transplanting time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hola Fishdude

I do like you all the time

put a bunch of seeds in
one pot and wait.
I foud that the best way
is with a soup spoon its
very easy to retrive the
little one with the spoon

Enjoy

Bare

7 Likes

What they all said above :arrow_heading_up:but easier if the soil is dry , i do it lots too…
Good luck bud…

Gaz

3 Likes

Good tip right there! :+1::seedling:

5 Likes

i do it over my soil bin or a wheelbarrow with soil, place one hand on top of soil, invert, shake, tap, lay on side in soil bin, ease’er out kinda at an angle. use your fingers or a chopstick to separate them, but fwiw, landscapers use a pruning saw on roots and so have i. :slight_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Sometimes I get lazy in my aerocloner and roots get all tangled and I just rip them apart and try and spray/rinse away any remaining ripped roots still clinging.

They have never suffered.

3 Likes

I ran into this problem a week ago, I just cut straight down the middle with a knife, split the dirt/plants into 2 pieces than finished the transplants. Worked very well id say.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. The transplant of two was successful, the third is struggling a bit.

2 Likes

i do what@barefrog said all the time i give first water with high yield tomato transplant shock liquid.

2 Likes