Transplanting question

I know that there’s a lot of debate on when the proper time to transplant is. What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

5 Likes

It really depends on your goals. What size container do you plan to end up with?

I start mine for the first 5-6 weeks in 1L containers. At that point they really need a transplant, mostly for me, so I don’t have to water them every day.

5 Likes

I have 5 gallon pots waiting for them and to be honest it is kind of becoming a pain in the ass having to water them every other day

2 Likes

I don’t know all your variables but if they were mine I’d probably transplant into 1G nowish, max those out, then into 5Gs but there’s lots of ways to do it. Some do 1, 3, 5.

The PITA factor is my main motivator.

4 Likes

The pot that I have them in right now is a 1 gallon warrior pot . I’m going to look up PITA right now

4 Likes

Actually, the age of the plant play a big role in this kind of decision ^^

2 Likes

Pain.in.the.ass.

4 Likes

PITA = pain in the ass lol ? Or is there a certain technique?

3 Likes

No you got it.

You’re going to get a lot of different opinions.

And a lot of it is “it depends.”

2 Likes

That exchange is going to cause thousands of giggles as people read it. :joy:

6 Likes

Acronyms are hard :joy:

If that’s a 1G going to a 5 is fine just watch your watering until they fill out a bit.

3 Likes

If the final size is 5gal, and you don’t have anything constraining you from doing it, I would put it in whatever is the final size pot now - 5gal and be done with it.

With each transplant, there’s always the risk of shocking/stunting growth or damaging the plant.

3 Likes

I used to do many different transplants up to final size but I rarely run big pots anymore.

IMO the biggest shock risk is overwatering after transplant.

But for an outdoor I went 1, 7 this year and it was fine.

4 Likes

Thank you guys I really appreciate your input!

3 Likes

Something I do sometimes to avoid over watering is make reverse sandcastles, water, let dry a few days, pop it in the hole.

Like this:

7 Likes

That’s a very good idea to be honest I am very nervous this is the first time I’ve went up and pot size I usually just plant them in the pot that they’re going to live in

1 Like

From now on I’m going to start them in Solo cups like I’ve seen around here and then transplant them into their 5 gallon buckets and I will be able to utilize this reverse sand castle method

3 Likes

Don’t be. Just be gentle. Maybe tousle the roots a little and don’t overwater.

No big deal.

The sandcastle you can just pop the plant right in the hole. No digging, no compacting, minimal stress, done.

1 Like

Yep for sure I’m definitely going to adapt that. Easy peasy! Lol

1 Like