Up potting plants in soil/soiless medium

I just wanted to share my transplanting procedure. I am sure there are other methods used but I have found this to be almost completely stress free to my plants.

1. I fill my new pot about three quarters full of medium.
  2. I tamp the soil down lightly and create a rough opening for the smaller pot in the center of the larger pot.
  3. Add soil to match the height of your smaller pot around the edges and tamp it down. If you do not tamp the soil the first time you water it will settle and you will be adding soil to the pot. After your soil is tamped slowly remove your smaller pot .
  4. Remove your plant from the smaller pot and insert the rootball in the space you have created in the new pot. I personally wait until the plant is quite dry to transplant for two reasons. 1. It is much lighter and less likely to cause damage to the stalk. 2. It is easier to slide it out of the pot .
  5. Gently set the plant into the pot and add soil if required to the top and soak it good.

The nice thing about this method is you can set multiple pots up in advance and keep your space organized and neat. If you are doing larger scale grows and have help you can cruise right through the process.
    Cheers
11 Likes

When doing landscaping, we would always “tease” the roots. But I imagine it would result in some stress and delayed growth with weed, when a quick turnover is key. Your tech looks like it would have minimal stress and growth would just take off rather than finding its place in its new home

1 Like

This is how I have always done it and it works great, give the roots enough time to fill the pot there in with out starting to spin and then transplant up to the next size, can creat some really large healthy root stock before it goes into it’s final home.

2 Likes

Depending on where you store your bags of media ( cold shed for example ) make sure the new media in new pot is up to growroom temp befor transplanting into it : )

5 Likes

Nice process. I do largely the same thing except I don’t add the “ring” until after I’ve put in the root ball. Just easier for me I guess .02

2 Likes

Only thing I do different is I sprinkle some mycos on the roots. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

As @Tappy said i agree “teasing” the roots is also a nice practice, sure it does put a little stress on the outside roots, but also those break points is where new roots will start to branch out from after a day or so if the plant is healthy.

5 Likes

Nice write up! I have done something similar but with just my hands trying to make a correct sized hole for the plant to go into.

Why haven’t I used a pot like this before?! Thanks

3 Likes