Blackstrap molasses hi brix what do you think?

It’s great with soil during flower in my experience, but attracts more bugs indoors. Since I switched to coco I stopped using it.

2 Likes

all the time. be careful though. i had it doing pretty complex math for me and you have to assume it’s always wrong. . .like me in HS.

3 Likes

Now you’re confusing my niceness with idiocy. :slight_smile: Please don’t. I know how to search, and I know also that I need not become a resident expert on OG organic soils threads in order to ask this question. I’m impressed you can begin tackling the topic at any area you’d like – feel free to start with just maybe a simple yes or no? I’m not asking for Organic Chemistry 202, mate. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not confused. I wasn’t sure what things you’ve read on here. I didn’t mean to be condescending, but molasses specifically has been talked about in a lot of other threads. You can swear at me if you’d like. You can get as sassy as you’d like. You claim ignorance in your original post and then tell me I’m mistaking your kindness for ignorance. I’m all for you finding your answers, asking your questions, and having all the success or failure you’d like. My question was just a question. Perhaps searching for the answers may get you to them faster than asking they come to you. You don’t seem interested in my opinion now anyway. And you don’t need it, so goodluck.

5 Likes

Man, the way those three questions in a row came off, you sounded like you were addressing a fourth grader. :slight_smile: I appreciate your desire to help, truly. I’m not the guy who looks only for quick fixes. I understand that I am asking about a big, complicated topic, but I just want to prune it down to some basics (same MO I always have, btw.). And yes, if you want to, I’d love your opinion – I’m not at all making a judgment about your knowledge, expertise, etc.

2 Likes

Not really but the microbes break it down and make food/exudates and that does help the plant and the flowers.
You may find some helpful info here.

5 Likes

The way you interpret my questions isn’t my problem. I can try to be clearer.

Your opinion stinks.

Here’s one thread. First search result for molasses.

Here’s another with good discussion. This is why I asked if you searched anything prior and what you read. The answers are all here somewhere already. Just takes some reading. Ya know? Happy growing.

5 Likes

Amazon has it.

4 Likes

Love you buddy

4 Likes

I don’t think any medium is truly devoid of microbes, even pure hyrdo, but have you checked the label for nectar of the gods granules? They seem pretty damn organic :joy: Even if they weren’t slow release ferts are pretty forgiving on sensitive microbes, people use osmocote in fish tanks for example. I think your setup would definitely benefit from some microbial inputs, try a side by side and see what it does for you :eyes:

3 Likes

The Nectar stuff was a gift from the girlfriend, even though she doesn’t use ferts in her garden at all. (We disagree on this. :slight_smile: )

It looks helpful, and I’ve been game about using it. When I upsize my pots from 1 gal to 5 gal, I make sure there’s a reasonable amount in the lower depths of the soil and along the edges.

Other than that, I don’t do anything special to my soil or really even my water lol. Those are things I’m starting to tinker with now. As I get more experience, I’ll continue that, and track what works for me, of course, but I like a slow, iterative approach so I can see/figure it out for myself. (This is why I don’t even fuss with pH at all yet. I will. In fact, I’m experimenting with apple cider vinegar to get my pH down. I tried that earlier in my grow and it worked. Now I’m trying again, but I’ve mixed in some molasses now.

It’s start of week 7 today and it looks like there are 2 or 2.5 weeks left. So, I’ll do the ACV and molasses + regulars ferts + Flower Fuel (1-32-34) for a few days.

Then, without flushing, I’ll just revert to clear, clean waters for the last couple of days/week. I’m just about there.

I agree with you – regardless of the origins of the soil, it eventually becomes a living thing.

As I’m reading about ACV and molasses, I’m also digging deeper into soils, amendments, teas, etc. Just figuring it out.

Thanks man.

3 Likes

And I read that, brother. Still too inconclusive as a thread, for my purposes. Yes, it makes a good case for molasses feeding microbes which, in turn, is good for the plants.

However, it also includes claims to the opposite. It even includes a claim that sugar is poisonous to plants.

Hmm. My brain goes right back to my original question.

So hey. . .did I pass the test for being able to ask a question now?

I always understood it as bsm feeds the microbiology.Then the microbe go into overdrive making macro n micro nutes more available and producing more exudates which can be a form of a biostimulant increasing plant health and vigor. It not going to hurt but won’t be as effective like in living soil. I’d say a microbial tea would be a better boost

3 Likes

Sugars are pretty safe for plants and soil.
I mean anything can be toxic at high levels.
Different sugars can have different effects.
Some sugars make a good pesticide.
Some sugars like Trehalose can do many beneficial things like…

3 Likes

I am a huge fan of Nectar for the Gods I purchase some of their products every year Including the granules .
“##### Why isn’t Nectar For The Gods OMRI listed?
Because we use mineral based calcium sources as well as carbon based forms, we can not, by definition, certify as organic. To be certified organic it would have to be 100% carbon based ingredients.”

2 Likes

I do not think, Sulphur or not matters at all.
I found powered Molasses and really like it.
I find a table spoon in my 10 gallon water tote is perfect.
When I add biologicals I add some Molasses, except for when I use Recharge, as I think they use Molasses, to over feed the biologicals to hold them for bagging, shipping.

3 Likes

I was just reading that exact thing last night. :slight_smile: That entire web site is a goldmine of information, imho. The vibe that “we are nerds who absolutely love what we do” just oozes off the page.

3 Likes

Not your typical nerds though…Biker nerds…LOL
I like their stuff too.
Are you familiar with Scott?

There was a video with Scott saying they don’t make their own liquid bone meal I think it was Down to Earth that made it for them

Not a knock on them, it shows they are very honest people.
https://downtoearthfertilizer.com/products/liquid-fertilizers/liquid-bone-meal-0-12-0/

I think this may have something to do with rocks not being organic.
I think that is what I read, not sure.

5 Likes

No, but I’m watching this now, thanks!

1 Like

It’s a bandaid that feeds microbes too.
Can be replaced with good feed and real sugar some mannitol and sorbitol(very low carb sugars, same in terpinator).
Feed dr earth, add aminos powder, add kelp. All of that has carbs and microbes.
You can foliar it too to fight pathogens outdoors.

1 Like